Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Has Cold...How do I treat?

YorkieGirl2
September 16th, 2003, 08:39 PM
My dog has a cold, he is stuffy and lethargic and I am broke and can't afford the vet right now...anything I can do to help relieve his discomfort? I have been giving him lots of water and ice cubes in a dish. He just seems very sad! :(

Carina
September 17th, 2003, 08:14 AM
Dogs don't get colds like people do. It could be like an airborne allergy, or it could be something really serious. Is he eating and drinking? Are his gums pale? Is there mucous coming from his nose - if so, what colour is it? If he is lethargic + not eating, and/or has a yellow or thick discharge from his nose or anywhere else, he most likely needs vet attention.

If he's eating and just a bit sniffly, you can try Benydryl. I am not sure what dose a Yorkie would take, but you can get that info from a vet, I'd think. It is safe for dogs. If he's not eating or drinking, give him something good to eat - boiled rice and cooked meat. You can also get some Pedialyte to keep him hydrated; mix it with a little chicken broth if you need to.

I'd try these "home remedies" (and any others someone else can think of) for 2-3 days, but if he's still depressed and sniffly, beg or borrow some cash and get him to a vet. Or find a vet who will work with you on payments, if you can. Hope he's OK!

YorkieGirl2
September 17th, 2003, 08:14 PM
I am going to give the rice a try and see if that helps. He is eating and drinking, just making snorting sounds and acting tired. He just sits there. Otherwise he seems fine. I will let you know how it goes!:p