Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Has anyone ever heard of this????

Seahawk2484
November 14th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Hi everyone, I am new to the board and was just wondering if anyone out there has ever heard of this problem.
I have 2 dogs (Jake- age 4 and Maddox- age 3).
About 2 years ago Jake starting getting these episodes lasting normally for a few hours where he had trouble going up or down stairs, jumping on and off the bed and when he would try to sleep his torso would tremble. This has only happened 4 or 5 times in a little over 2 years. We took him to the vet after the first time and they did blood tests that came back negative. After moving from Sudbury to the GTA he had another episode about a year ago that lasted almost 2 days so we took him to another vet where he told us that he thinks it may be a form of seizure. It has been a little over a year and everthing was fine until this morning when it started again. I took them out to the park to give him some air and if you didn't know Jake you would think nothing was wrong with him. It just seems like he is a little more high strung and has no depth perception when it comes to stairs or the bed and he just stands ther looking at me sort of crying when on any other day he would be sleeping.
I have searched the web for info on dog seizures but all the sezures they talk about are the violent ones you get from epilepsy.
If anyone has ever heard of anything similar to this please let me know.
My wife and I are very worried about him.:( We have no children but treat these guys as if they were.:king:

THANKS IN ADVANCE
Chris

SnowDancer
November 14th, 2005, 08:34 AM
What breed of dog is Jake?

Seahawk2484
November 14th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Funny thing.......we are not sure what he is. When we purchased him as a puppy we were told he was a beagle/sheltie and he would be only 28-32 pounds. He is now 80 pounds and the size of a large lab. My guess is some sort of foxhound cross but I have heard a million different opinions from other people.
I was trying to post a pic but the file size is to big and my wife is the computer expert in the house.

Melinda
November 14th, 2005, 09:10 AM
could he by any chance be having muscle seizures? The trembling at night sort of pinpoints to that....how is your lighting in the home? My beagle at times would tremble and cry at dusk, she was scared to cross our wood floor, the vet said it was because of the sheen of the floor, she couldn't tell how to step on it properly....we changed to floresant lighting, dulled it down a bit and she was fine....I also put a carpet runner down and she loved it. But I'd see about her muscles...

Seahawk2484
November 14th, 2005, 09:23 AM
I can't see it being muscle seizures because other the climbing stairs and jumping on the bed he seems perfectly fine. Also this has only happened 4-5 times in 2 or so years and this is the first time in quite a while. He doesn't seem to be in any pain at all just a little more "awake". He seems to be pacing back and forth around the house when he would normally be sleeping at this time of the day.

SnowDancer
November 14th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Jake might need to see a neurologist - it is the Beagle part that worries me and his problems with the stairs and jumping into bed. There is an excellent neuro who operates out of the McMurrich Emergency in Toronto - by appointment only of course and referral - and then there are the wonderful neurologists at Guelph.