Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Moving Day is Coming...

jesse's mommy
November 13th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Hey everyone, as most of you know we are moving and have been frantically packing this past week since I've only been given three weeks to plan! :eek: As we are packing everything up (which by the way has been going pretty smoothly so far), Jesse is freaking out. She hates the boxes, she hates the tape, and most of all she hates that her "normality" is changing. It's something we have to do and I know as we get through this she will adjust, but is there anything I can do better to help her with this transition? We haven't even gotten to Florida yet and she isn't adjusting to the packing. I can't imagine how she is going to act when we get there, but we'll cross that road when we get to it. I'm just a little concerned now if there is anything I can do. The way we are packing, she still has plenty of room in the house, so she's not cramped into a corner or anything. We've been very strategic in packing and stacking so she doesn't feel too closed in. We are playing with her as much as we can and we are welcoming her whenever she wants to "help" us (basically sit on our lap and get cuddles). My mom picked her up yesterday to give her a good run with her dog and we've been walking her so I'm not sure what else we can do. We are trying to stick to our "routine" but adding the packing on to it. (Basically we are packing instead of sitting in front of the TV or playing on the computer). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

t90princesst
November 13th, 2005, 08:41 PM
when my mom moved from louisiana to california we found out that our cat holliey likes to eat boxes so most of the boxes ended up with holes chewed in the side LOL she still gets anxious when she sees suitcases. mabey you could try playing with her around the boxes or talking to her while you pack bout the new place. i know some people think its crazy but i think they understand. good luck with your move!!!

jawert1
November 13th, 2005, 10:37 PM
Simon freaked out when we moved most recently (early September) since I was doing a lot of packing before hand. I upped both of their exercise amounts, his more so by way of walking them together, then taking him back out for a mommy only walk (Peaches does well by herself, unlike him who freaks). Loads of cuddles and I actually let the both of them sleep with me until they went to my parents (long story - ugh) till I actually moved, and my folks kept them on a similar routine, if not even more spoiled when I got them back home with me. I would also suggest making a corner where there aren't boxes (I know, it's a pain) and putting her stuff there and then waiting to pack her up for very last. It seemed to help with my two, mostly Simon since Peaches is a far heartier and easy going dog. Good luck and have a safe move :)

kayla
November 13th, 2005, 10:54 PM
I would also suggest making a corner where there aren't boxes (I know, it's a pain) and putting her stuff there and then waiting to pack her up for very last. It seemed to help with my two, mostly Simon since Peaches is a far heartier and easy going dog. Good luck and have a safe move :)

That seems like a good idea. Make a corner with her bed food etc that stays the same until right before you move. I know when I move I like to keep my bedroom made until the last minute, so you can always retreat and feel a little bit of normality.

maddoxies
November 14th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Some Rescue Remedy by Bach Flowers in the drinking water might help too. It will not affect any unstressed dogs who drink the water and it may help Jesse (and you too. It was originally intended for humans. Moving can be stressful for everyone).

Good luck with the move