Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How do I walk 2 dogs...

JanM
November 13th, 2005, 12:49 PM
at the same time - one an untrained 3-mo Golden puppy who just wants to go go go and the other a 1 1/2 yr old Golden who wants to be asleep on the couch instead of out walking???? I've done it about 3 times now and the leashes keep getting tangled - I try to encourage Bobby to keep up by tugging on him and keep Amber (the puppy) in check by gently pulling her back - I usually end up with both arms outstretched - opposite each other!
Any and all suggestions would be welcome..

jawert1
November 13th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Hiya Jan, I walk my two at the same time, generally by shortening Peaches' leash (she gets really wound on walks) - I hold the loop in my right hand, have it cross my body, and control the length left with my left hand. I leave Simon's loop in my left hand so his is slightly longer, but both dogs are always to my left side. You could always try a significantly shorter leash for your puppy and a longer one for your adult (I use leather leads, nothing retractable), based on whatever your preference is. Just how it works for us :)

kayla
November 13th, 2005, 01:42 PM
I'm having the same trouble with walking my dog plus a foster dog. What I figured out you can do is put the leash of the faster dog through the other leashes handle, and you hold on to just the faster dogs leash (does that make sense?) That way you're really only holding one leash, and the other one (the slower dog) is just on his leash sliding up and down the faster dogs leash. Not perfect but that's all I've come up with so far. You can also buy a double leash but not sure how well they work I've never used one. If anyone has other ideas I am looking forward to hearing them, I have been meaning to start a similar thread for a while!

Prin
November 13th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Do you keep one leash in each hand? I put one dog on each side of me. I suggest you also walk the younger one separately for training...

JanM
November 13th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Great suggestions! Thank you. I did take Bobby (the older one) out by himself for a refresher - to be fair to him, I have not been doing leash work with him for a few months now and he did improve this afternoon. I try to keep the puppy's leash in my right hand and Bobby's in my left then I use the crook of my thumb and finger to tighten/loosen the puppy's leash. I keep them both on my left side so it can get a bit awkward at times. I am taking Amber (puppy) out on her own once a day for a "leash lesson" then walking with them both twice a day. This afternoon a friend came over and walked Bobby so that was a big help. I'll post how the walking goes trying your suggestions..

JessXx
November 13th, 2005, 06:24 PM
If you have this problem my suggestion is to have only one dog out at a time, yes its hard, but its possible. Usually you should take the one you've owned longer out first.
Or if you can get someone to walk with you.

alliekat
November 13th, 2005, 08:52 PM
You need to make the experience positive for both the dogs. Dogs have different personalities and different needs just like we do. For the hyper one try using a gentle lead to help release the pulling (you can get them for 10-20 bucks at any pet store) and for the dog who does not want to go for walks....

Think of what the dog likes (like a toy, praise or food). Once you have identified that "object" use it as a positive tool to guide the dog to do what you want it to do.

For example: If the dog is food motivated when the dog does what you want it to, praise and treat, praise and treat until it is drilled into the dogs head and eventually you can use just praise and the dog will be conditioned to do what you want it to. You can use this to keep the retriever in check too. Praise and treat when she stays close to you instead of trying to go in 10 different directions at once.

Instead of trying to keep the leashes untangled try keeping them right beside each other. Once they are used to walking right beside each other they will do it automatically. Keep the leashes short and close to you, then give them more slack. Take it away again if they start to revert to their old behaviour. Set your dogs up for success but not allowing them to pull you in different directions. At first is is hard but if you consistently do it it will be a short time until the behaviour is corrected. I ran into this when I got my second dog a few weeks ago and now they walk perfectly together.

If it is made into a positive experience for them anything can be accomplished. I agree with Prin about walking them seperately. If it is too difficult to manage both at the same time, work with them individually for a few days then when you think they are ready do it together. Remember that consistency is the key...the second you let them do what they want they will continue to try and do it.

Seems like you are doing well with all the other suggestions but hope something here helps in addition.

Gripenfelter
November 14th, 2005, 12:08 PM
I tried a "Y" leash. Its one leash that forks into a "Y" shape. The faster dog pulls the slower dog. :p

I'm getting a female malamute next year. Should be interesting rollerblading with 2 mals. :crazy:

gottahavepets
November 14th, 2005, 01:59 PM
When I was walking my border and a pug together I did the same thing as Kayla, that way Niki could walk at her pace and Duke didn't have to strain his little legs trying to keep up! What's really fun tho is when he scoots under her or she walks over him when they are walking together, he doesn't need to duck because she has really long lab legs LOL and she barely has to raise her feet to step over him. With the leashes threaded thru I found they didn't tangle as much because Duke had room to wander off to the side more for exploring. Although sometimes Niki would have to stop because he has to mark everything, even if all he's got is one drop of pee! Too funny walking such different dogs.:pawprint:

JanM
November 14th, 2005, 03:02 PM
I tried putting Amber's (faster puppy) leash through the handle of Bobby's (slower) and it worked very well when we were on a trail - wonderfully well in fact - so thank you Kayla for that suggestion. On the street though, I reverted to one leash in each hand and short, short leashes on both. I guess it will take me some time to get used to this and to work with both dogs to try to keep the same pace. Thanks everyone - it's a fun learning experience for me..

Dog Dancer
November 14th, 2005, 03:22 PM
How do you walk two dogs at one time - very carefully! Last year when I was sick I took my two out together (foolishly) and ended up being dragged on my stomach when they both decided to chase a cat and I didn't have the strength to withstand the jolt on the leashes.:eek: It was not a good thing. Both of mine are large(ish) and I find it easiest to walk one on each side of me. Short leash when I feel the need for real control. Generally they both know not to tangle up too much. One pulls like crazy whenever possible and I had tried the Y leash before but felt it wasn't fair to the polite walker to be dragged around by the other. I'm not hung up about them having to walk on the left, the puller goes on the right because that's my stronger arm (well it is now anyhow...) Sometimes though we just go one by one and they both really enjoy that too, more attention for each of them.