Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat urinating on carpet trouble

oreostorm
November 13th, 2005, 08:44 AM
My 14yr old male cat recently started urinating on the bedroom carpets, instead of his box. If he doesnt have acess to the carpets, he will eliminate on the wood floors too. Since he has other non-kidney/bladder medical problems, I brought urine sample in for stone/crystal check....and it was clear.
I am thinking its behavioral, but why??? He will actually pee right in front of me! Nothing new has changed, no new stressors in the house. Everything is the same, cant figure it out. He is still able to jump on counters, so I know he has no problem getting into his open litter box. Vet has him on Cosequin, but has not helped at all. Cosequin is used to help joints and bladder irritations. I am investing a lot in cat urine ordor eliminators! The only solution I can think of is to isolate him in the laundry room where his litter box is, but I feel really awefull confining him like that since the problem happens day and night. Should I just get used to it?

Lucky Rescue
November 13th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Is he squatting and peeing, or standing and spraying? Is he peeing very often, or straining? Crying?

Since he has other non-kidney/bladder medical problems,

Often cats who are sick or in pain may pee outside the box to indicate discomfort of some sort.

I would have an X-ray taken, just to make sure there is not a stone in his bladder. Urinalysis may not show this up.

oreostorm
November 13th, 2005, 10:00 AM
No, he is not straining or crying or spraying. He squats like usual and doesnt appear to be in pain. He can pee about 4 times a day, as much as I can tell. I am sure there are spots that I miss in the carpet. When I catch him in the act, I just let him finish. Last time, I picked him up to get him off the carpet, and he continued to pee on me. Dont know if cats are capable of stopping the flow once its started?

chico2
November 13th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Oreostorm,in another post,you told us about the sad passing of your 12yr old cat,maybe the male cat left is reacting to the loss of his companion,since the peeing started recently.