Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

bladder crystals

Dog Dancer
November 12th, 2005, 05:43 PM
My son's dog was recently diagnosed with bladder crystals. After changing her diet to vet reccomended Royal Canin, (this food is specifically for this condition) she still has problems with peeing in the house. The dog is a 3yr old pomeranian. The food change was done about a month ago, but the peeing problem became so bad that she has limited access around the house now. As per the vet, this is a diet change for life, and the vet has advised against all other foods. So, is it behavioural? or still medical? Anyone have any experience with this issue or any advice? links? Thanks for your help.

the gang
November 12th, 2005, 05:49 PM
i know first hand, i have min pins and one of my boys had this 5yrs ago !!! the very best is to put them on medical preventive, it WORKS let me tell you all my guys are on this for 6yrs now no probelm but marking every once in a while thats something else lol! hoping this has helped brenda.:fingerscr

jawert1
November 12th, 2005, 06:15 PM
It depends entirely on what the latest urine culture looks like. Simon was just put on Hills Prescription Diet c/d (although I'm looking for viable alternatives) due to basic pH urine and potential for crystals. Our vet has asked that after 4 weeks is up since the change, I bring in another sample for testing (pH, specific gravity, etc) I would recommend a followup visit to the vet with fresh sample to see if the food is indeed working. It could be that simple since most dogs don't like to go where they lay, and if this pom is restricted space, then she's prolly still having problems.

Prin
November 12th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Has the vet rules out spay incontinence? How does she pee? Does she squat or does she just leak? If she's leaking, it's spay incontinence and that can usually be fixed with small hot-pink estrogen pills.

Jemma has it. It starts out once in a while and then the peeing increases till it's every day. When you start the pills, we were told one a day for a week, then one every two days for a week and so on till she was on one every two weeks, which wasn't enough for her. Finally, she takes one a week and is totally fine. I think it might have been the real reason Jemma was abandoned because the previous owner was so frustrated when after Jemma left, her apartment still smelled of pee...

Toonces
November 12th, 2005, 08:35 PM
One of our dogs had a bladder stone removed this summer and is now totally fine, she also is incontient like Prin's Jemma and takes a pill for that every 5 days.

Today we took in another urine sample to the vet and she is clear of all crystals but that was after 5 months of being on Hills S/D canned and now she can go on Hills C/D but we are alos searching for another food .

Hope your sons doggy is ok

Lucky Rescue
November 12th, 2005, 09:54 PM
It takes a few months for the special food to get rid of the crystals. The dog must eat that and absolutely nothing else.

My dog just had surgery for bladder stones, and was incontinent afterwards. Now it's been a month and she's fine again.

Definitely take another urine sample for analysis, to see if the crystals are still there or if there is any infection present, which may account for the peeing in the house.

Dog Dancer
November 13th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Hey all, thanks for the input. The dog (Sasha) is now confined in a large kitchen area, although at night she sleeps in her crate. She often pee's in her crate as well. It's definitely a deliberate type of pee, not just a leak. My girl has spay incontinence and it's not that for sure. Sasha actually jumped up on their bed a few weeks back just to pee on it. Son's girlfriend believes the dog may be jealous of him, plus they are living in my townhouse where I used to live with my two dogs, so she could be marking somewhat. Anyhow, the crystals are present and the dog is on the prescribed diet. I'll advise that they have it checked again in a couple months to see if the crystals are gone (or going). So yes they have limited the dogs access now, and if she's in other areas of the house than the kitchen she has to be on leash so she can't wander off and piddle somewhere... Anyhow, thanks again. Let us know if you have any other comments or ideas. All are appreciated.:thumbs up