Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

elevated liver

oreostorm
November 12th, 2005, 05:21 PM
my 14 yr old cat has lost about 4 lbs in past 6mon. although his appetite has actually increased. Recent blood work showed elevated total bili(4.2), alkaline Phosphatase (180), ALT (307), and cholesterol (510). All other results were normal...no diabetes, normal thyroid, no FIV, no kidney failure. His appetite has increased, no vomiting, normal bowel and bladder habits, and active as usual. Vet was vague in giving cause, other than problem coming from liver or gallbladder. However, his symptoms dont support the cause (increased appetite and no vomiting) He was never over weight and now he feels and looks very bony. I feel like he is wasting away, eventhough I am giving him as much food as he wants, just to get some weight on him with no sucess. Any suggestions?

badger
November 12th, 2005, 07:59 PM
I imagine an ultra sound or an xray would show whether there was anything to worry about. Just from the symptoms, plus his age, I would have guessed thyroid. But weight loss can be indicative of something serious so I wouldn't just let it go.

mycat
November 14th, 2005, 09:51 PM
Something wrong is imminent. Don't wait until it's too late.

Try another vet. But go around ask your friends, co-workers, neighbors, church members, ... if they know a good vet. Don't open the phone book.

oreostorm
November 16th, 2005, 04:54 PM
I just took my cat Oreo back to the vet for more test. I noticed one eye was a little cloudy and though maybe a catarac. While he was there for that, had more blood work and x rays.

His Liver and other test are rising....again, vet is not sure of direct cause. He suggested doing exploritory surgery. I dont know about that!
His x rays didnt show anything abnormal either. No bladder stones (he has been urinating on carpets)
His eye issues are due to glaucoma. The cloudy eye's lens has "moved", causing the cloud. So, now he is on eye drops to reduce the eye pressure from the glaucoma.
Am I crazy for not wanting to put my cat under the knife at 14?