Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sammy with knee problem

RydenStoompala
November 12th, 2005, 02:12 AM
I have a six-year-old Sammy who is favoring one of his back legs. Usually after a good romp in the park wth other dogs (he loves playing with dogs), he limps. After resting, he gets up and lifts the hind leg. He sometimes chews at the knee aea and has stripped away quite a bit of fur on occassion.

This is a condition that has existed off-and-on for a couple of years but seems to be growing worse lately as the dog ages. He is a little less active, but in more pain.

I understand that these big breeds sometimes need knee surgery to correct these probems. Anyone with experience, your comments are much appreciated. If I have to get the condition surgically corrected, I will.

Thanks

Prin
November 12th, 2005, 02:20 AM
What has your vet said already about this? What food are you feeding? I knew a dog who had a chronic "untreatable" limp from eating Eukanuba...

RydenStoompala
November 12th, 2005, 02:31 AM
What has your vet said already about this? What food are you feeding? I knew a dog who had a chronic "untreatable" limp from eating Eukanuba...

The diet is excellent. They (I have two) get a basic dry food that has kept their weight steady and their health excellent.

The vets (I have asked a few) seem to have different opinions about the problem. I've had suggestions that vary from massage to surgey.

I was hoping that someone would have the exact same experience (or close to it) with a large breed. We cured a patch of itchy skin problem that had been chronic in just a couple of days by finding out about zinc supplements on a forum just like this one. That was after we had tried several diet changes, all to no avail.

Dragonfly
November 12th, 2005, 08:40 AM
I am stunned and angered. Instead of spending some cash to take your dog to the vet, you are surfing the web, looking for forums to see if anyone has a dog with the same problem as yours?

From the symptoms you describe it could be anything from arthritis to cancer. No one here would hazard a guess at a diagnosis, first off we aren't veterinarians and second off, we can't see your pet.

I strongly suggest you take your poor dog to the vet.