Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My old friend

ElaineG
November 11th, 2005, 09:51 PM
It was with regret and very great sadness that I let my cat Mickey go tonight. He had been in some respiratory distress off and on throughout the day so I took him to the vet this evening. The blood and urine tests were not encouraging and he had a badly enlarged kidney. We did not proceed with the lung and heart x-rays. The vet said that he was very sick, not in pain, but extemely poorly. He was 20 years old and much loved.

I feel like I have a great hole in my body.

jesse's mommy
November 11th, 2005, 10:08 PM
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. You and your family are in my prayers. I'm sure Mickey appreciates you being there to help him cross over the rainbow bridge. :grouphug:

Lucky Rescue
November 11th, 2005, 10:37 PM
Awww, so very sorry you lost your old pal. What a wonderful long life he had with you to love him right til the end.

I particularly like this, and it applies to all of us here:

Fragile Circle
"We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached.

Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way.

We cherish memory as the only certain immortality,
never fully understanding the necessary plan."

Irving Townsend.

badger
November 12th, 2005, 01:06 AM
You were very brave to let him go peacefully. Incredible the size of that hole, ain't it. Slowly it will fill up with happy memories.

ElaineG
November 14th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Many thanks for all your kind thoughts. I see shadows in the house, hear the click of his claws and accidentally call his name. He was two years old when my son arrived! He outlasted my marriage and three home moves.

My son went to say goodbye even though his old pal was waiting to go the crematorium. His eyes were brimming, although as an eighteen-year old, he couldn't cry. Never mind, I cried for him. :grouphug:

BMDLuver
November 14th, 2005, 08:48 PM
Oh ElaineG, so sorry to hear of Mickey's passing. You lost a good friend. :grouphug:

Snooky'sMom
November 15th, 2005, 08:28 AM
So sorry to hear about your old friend. I lost my 19 year old cat a few months ago, too. It helps to talk about them and remember what made them so special.

ElaineG
November 15th, 2005, 10:21 AM
I rescued him from the Guelph Humane Society 20 years ago. I went up to his cage and he came to me and started purring like a Mac truck. It was love at first sight and he purred whenever he was next to me. You can never forget that kind of love.

Many thanks, Snooky's Mom.

lightbeam1
November 19th, 2005, 10:21 AM
I'm sorry you had to go through all that too. So sorry we go through these things. Thanks for your thoughts about my kitty too. Big hugs.