Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Good kind of litter?

xFire Angelx
November 11th, 2005, 08:48 PM
hey everyone sorry i havent been around lately i have been having issues with a new version of windows sheesh
anyways i have a huge problem my cats go CRAZY when it comes to splashing litter around... i fixed smokeys problem and got him a high rubber maid bin for his litter box but my cat baby as ya know was injured and he cant jump so he needs to have a low litter box
is there any kind of clumping litter that might be good to control this? i heard the litter pearls is good but i am not sure if they clump
the cats absolutely hate the newspaper pellet litter since baby has been able to use regular litter hes been going to the bathroom 3 times more than he was with the newspaper pellets
we're goign to be getting these huge mats for around the litter boxes but i was wondering if there was a good litter i can use to help with the problem as well
thank you for any suggestions and advice

papillonmama
November 11th, 2005, 09:18 PM
hi:)
my cats didn't like the newspaper litter either, it seemed like they were kicking it further than the regular litter just cause the pellets were so big.
the litter that's made of corn clumps might be satisfying for kitty, it'll still get thrown around, but I, personally, think it's better than clay.

happycats
November 11th, 2005, 10:37 PM
Pine clumping is great!! it's dust free non-tracking, flushable, and lasts much much longer then clay clumping! you can get it in petsmart, and Walmart!!
(it looks just like sawdust:)

LM1313
November 12th, 2005, 12:35 AM
I use corn litter (The World's Best Litter brand)--flushable, biodegradable, and clumping. :)

~LM~

xFire Angelx
November 12th, 2005, 01:35 AM
wow thanks guys i love the idea of being able to flush it that would put an end to all of those plastic bags taking up an entire shelf in the kitchen to clean the litter lol
how are those litters at odor control?

happycats
November 12th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Pine is great for controling odor! I have 5 cats, and it's so much better then the clay clumping. You can't smell litter at all with the pine stuff.
To get my cats used to it I mixed it with their clay clumping at first.

Shamrock
November 12th, 2005, 03:51 PM
When my cats were kittens, I was on a quest to find "the perfect litter" - one that didnt track, controlled odours, was safe for the cats and the environment
And of course, the most important of all... that they liked.

Despite manufacturers claims.. all track somewhat and none control odours totally..( though I think the pine works best in the odour dept)

I've used SweatScoop for about 3 years now, find it the best myself.
Clumping, natural, and flushable (in VERY small amounts)

World's Best litter is considered one of the best on the market, but I didnt care for it.
My cats rejected the pine litter.

CyberKitten
November 12th, 2005, 05:04 PM
I dislike clumping litter of any kind (tho I am aware some ppl sing its praises). Kittens esp should never use clumping litter - they like to experiemnt and if they do eat it, it can expand in theior tiny digestive system and wrek all manner of havoc, usually obstruction of some kind.

I use Yesterday's News but there is also a brand (World's Best Cat Litter) many ppl recommend when cats or kittens are recouperating from illness. Also, the kind of shavings used for bunnies can be used - you can buyt it or if you know anyone at a local mill, they may ket you help yourself to the shavings left over from their work. I am fortunate (or was when I had a rabbit) that my dad is a hobbyist woodworker and Ialways had a ton of the stuff. There are always shavings left over from ant kind of saw. But try YN or The World's Best Cat litter - I bet Baby would love it - and no clumping litter! (until he is at least 1, or is he 1 yet, I forget his age, sorry!!!)

Shamrock
November 12th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Cyberkitten, my understanding on this was that it was the "clay" clumping litters that were to be avoided with kittens - due to the dangers associated with ingestion.

Worlds Best and SwheatScoop are both clumping litters.

Because of their natural ingredients...( corn, wheat) they are marketed as safe for both cats and kittens... and for the environment as biodegradable.
My belief was that any small amount ingested would be harmless - and was the primary reason that I switched to SwheatScoop.

http://www.swheatscoop.com/

http://www.worldsbestcatlitter.com/

xFire Angelx
November 13th, 2005, 02:45 AM
hey guys thanks so much for all of the suggestions and advice
its easier to have the clumping because wow you have to change the litter two or three times more with the none clumping
baby is 8 years old so hes far from experimenting and eating the litter
ill have to go look at the stores and see what they sell around here
are these brands expensive? my cat smokey has to use a rubber maid bin for his litter box and it uses a lot of litter luckily for baby he uses the small 2 inch deep litter box wich doesnt use a lot of litter lol

CyberKitten
November 13th, 2005, 03:19 AM
Thx for the info re World's Best - I did not know it was clumping, yikes!! I have never tried it, just heard it praised by ppl whose opinion I respected but that was in relation to cats and not kittens. Several vets I know (inc my own and a cat only vet clinic I know) recommend not using clumping litter of any kind, even after a kitten is grown. Other than the ingestion problem, I just personally prefer non clumping litter - as does - more importantly, YY - but to be honest, she has little to compare with, ;)

I would worry about a kitten ingesting anything, even newsprint. This is the opposite for bunnies who can chew newspaper to help ingestion - and mine loved to chew anything (esp phone cords, sigh!). While newsprint will not expand like the clay litters, I still don't like the idea of anything that clumps. It's a quirk I have I guess - you would think a biochemist would prefer something with chemicals but I just worry about it - for no particular scientific reason either which bothers me - one day I will find time to research the issue (once I overcome my addiction to tetris, lol) I must ask my vet again why she does not like it - hopefully she has a better reason than mine, which besides my aversion to clay litter, has some scientific validity, :)

chico2
November 13th, 2005, 08:45 AM
My cats will not go in Yesterdays News,Worlds Best is to me extreemly expensive,at $39 for a bag that will not even be enough for my boxes:mad: I know someone who used the wheat-litter and his house stunk of cat-pee,but of course he did not clean it out regularly,also it seemed to spread more on the floor.
To me litter on the floor is not a problem,I keep a little broom handy next to the boxes and the boxes are in the downstairs bathroom we very seldom use.
After trying others,I reverted back to clumping clay,but one 99% dust-free,my cats are all adults and do not like changes in anything.

xFire Angelx
November 13th, 2005, 05:03 PM
yeah the huge dust cloud that happens when i pour in the litter is a huge problem... i have to move the litter box out to the garage or outside to do it because my cats love jumping in there when fresh litter has just gone in to sniff around and pee.... i dont like them doing that with the dust cloud is still around
so ill be making a trip to the store next week(when its time to change their litter) and pick up something different for em

JessXx
November 13th, 2005, 07:20 PM
hi,
The dust clouds are bad for humans health (esp. if youre pregnant)
And they aren't so hot for the cats either.
Theres a few litters, such as clay- that don't have as much of the 'dust.'
All litter has its positives and negitives.
I guess clay is best...