Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kitten not using litter box

Toonces
November 11th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Hi there,

I am posting this for a friend who does not have the internet, she adopted a kitten from the humane society and all was going great, well a few weeks ago he had a bout of the runs and has since been to the vet and this is all cleared up but now he refuses to use his litter box to poop, he will go outside the box. He pees in it fine but not #2. He is 4 and a half months old and will be neutered at 6 months. I don't know what to tell her as I have been fortunate in that area and my 2 have no litter issues. (excpet when Emma gets scared she will poop on my bed:eek: )

They have changed brands of litter, this did not work, they have 2 boxes for him, one with litter and one with that all natural stuff that looks like news paper but he still won't use them ( the vet suggested this)

If you guys have any suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Shamrock
November 11th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Toonces, as you of course know.. litterbox avoidance can be difficult to address.
As this began when the cat had the runs... it seems likely the kitten is connecting the pain and discomfort with the box itself.
Was the kitten peeing in one box and pooping in another, as some cats do?
It might be a thought to try a third box - placed in a brand new location, perhaps a covered (or if they have this...uncovered.. box)
If the cat will begin using this, the other "pooping" litter pan could be removed after a bit of time..

Good luck to her!

CyberKitten
November 11th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Has she tried treating the sutuation as if the kitten has just returned from surgery and using litter as if that were the case - either Yesterday's News or The Best Litter in the World (a name something like that). I used YN but the 2nd is also good and once the kitten realizes that litter will not hurt her, she hopefully will start using it. Also, wood pellets no pine tho!) that might be typically used for rabbits can also be used for a wee kitten in need of good litter.

Also, make sure the area where inappropriate elimination has occured should be thoroughly cleaned - no amonia though! Here is an article online that explains this more eruditely than I can - my brain is on holiday, lol

http://cats.about.com/cs/behavioralissues/a/outsidebox_one.htm

Good luck!!

Lucky Rescue
November 11th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Agree with Shamrock that the avoidance of the box is due to the pain experienced with the diarrhea.

If all is now well, I would confine him in a dog crate with just enough room for a bed, food and litterbox. He won't mess his bed or food bowls, so must go in the box.

Hopefully, that will retrain him.

papillonmama
November 11th, 2005, 10:00 PM
"Has she tried treating the sutuation as if the kitten has just returned from surgery and using litter as if that were the case - either Yesterday's News or The Best Litter in the World (a name something like that). " ~ Cyberkitten

I agree with you on changing the litters, the smell of the litter type itself is probably disgusting after being so sick.

Toonces
November 12th, 2005, 07:27 AM
Thanks for all the great info guys, I will pass it on.