Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Reptile birthday party

rivers
November 11th, 2005, 01:42 PM
My son is turning 5 in December, and he wants a reptile party. Which is such a great theme!
I need help finding a professional who can come to the house and show off a variety of reptiles/critters? I have tried 'reptileparty.com', but they are a wee bit pricey. There will probably only be 6 kids at the party, and 12 adults. oh, we are in the Halton Hills area, Ontario.

:fingerscr

jesse's mommy
November 11th, 2005, 02:39 PM
I just have to say, that is such a cute idea. I just love how creative kids can get!

raingirl
November 11th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Have you tried the Toronto Zoo? THey have people who travel and educate with animals. Or maybe you could have the party there? They have party rooms for that. They could bring animals into the room and you could get a behind the scene tour.

Writing4Fun
November 11th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Wee had ZooTek (http://www.zootek.net/zootek.html) at my son's 5th b-day party, and I'll tell you - I never saw a dozen kids sit still and be quiet for that long before in my life! That man knows how to keep the kids totally enthralled. And he's very hands-on, so everyone gets to handle most of the animals. Although, they're apparently under new management, so their show might have changed a little...

babyrocky1
November 11th, 2005, 11:10 PM
Hey Zootec looks really cool!!!I want to do that for MY next birthday!!!!!!!!!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 12th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Thats such an awesome idea. I might even try to steel it for the next birthday party as my kids love reptiles/bugs/slugs etc.
The Vancouver aquarium I think does or did sleep overs in front of the whale tank. I always thought maybe my kids would like that if we ever get time when we are down there.

rivers
November 12th, 2005, 10:06 PM
ok, I tried Zootek. They will get back to me on pricing. :fingerscr
Meanwhile I'll check out Toronto zoo.

rivers
November 15th, 2005, 02:28 PM
So I think I have found one snag. I think the reptiles are HIBERNATING!

And my hubby says, for the cost of a reptile show ($160) I could rather buy my son that Roboraptor!

So what now? I like the theme, what can I do to complete this theme and entertain the kids with? 6 kids are all under 5 years.
I am making a snake cake, and have a few rubber reptiles for decoration, but what else can I do? a movie? too boring? How do you entertain kids indoors when it is snowing outside?

please give me some urgent suggestions

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 15th, 2005, 04:31 PM
I always run into the same problem, my kids birthdays are in October and January. I hate having parties at home because then I have to clean my house before and after.

For my older sons fifth birthday I actually had it at the house. I bought 8 white t-shirts, some t- shirt paints a big plastic sheet and got them to decorate their own shirts. Perhaps they could put reptiles or snakes on them.

You could play pin the tail on the reptile. Guess the reptile, The Snake says, (Simon Says)Snake, Snake lizard (duck, duck goose)

So it cake first or presents first? :D

Melinda
November 15th, 2005, 05:04 PM
mind if I jump in? I use to do themed parties, for 5 yr olds, I'd go to the dollar store, pick up some colored knee high ladies socks, some large buttons, plastic kids sewing needles, a bag of stuffing (3.00), and some washable markers, have the children make their own snakes, keeps them busy for quite awhile, especially if you join in with them. Make it a contest, but have a prize for each child, "fattest snake", prettiest snake, meanest looking snake etc"

doggy lover
November 15th, 2005, 05:42 PM
If you live near Toronto there is a place called Reptilia, they do parties there with pizza and stuff, my sister had her sons there a few years ago. The kids had a great time. I believe its near Richmond Hill, its on the internet.

rivers
November 15th, 2005, 06:03 PM
melinda! Brilliant idea! You reminded me of when I was a child we used to make snakes out of nylon stockings and stuff them with balls of newspaper. I love your idea. Fab. :thumbs up

Catt31
November 17th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Petland also used to do "visits" bringing some of their animals....you could specify reptiles. Although I live in Alberta, it might be different in Ontario, but it couldn't hurt to call & ask!

raingirl
November 18th, 2005, 08:55 AM
You could have them make home made reptile gummies! It's SUPER easy. I saw it on that british show "finger tips". I tried to find it on their site, but couldn't. Here's the website. THey have all kinds of AMAZING craft and party ideas (there was one to make bracelets out of plastic pop bottles, and you paint them like a snake!)

Here's what you need:

-a selection of small plastic reptile toys. You can get them at the dollar store. The flatter the better (so...snakes, alligators, lizards).

-a bunch of plastacine (or playdough..again, look at the dollar store as you need to find about a fistful for each kid at the party).

-enough flat surfaces so that you have one for each child (like a baking sheet or cutting board)

-plastic wrap

-flavoured gelatin (jello) in multiple flavours. (LOTS!)

I am trying to get the exact recipe for the gelatin, but basically it's 4 boxes per 1 cup liquid.

This is what you do.

Have each kid flatten the plastacine on the flat surface to about 3/4 inch thick.

Then each kid should choose a few reptils from the pile.

Cover the plastacine with plastic wrap and press the reptile into the plastacine upside down to make a mold. Make sure the plastic wrap stays in place after you remove the reptile. Each kid should then have a few molds in the plastacine.

Mix a bunch of flavours (maybe three, like orange, lime, and lemon) of gelatin by mixing 1 cup boiling water with 4 boxes of gelatin. Mix REALLY well until disolved. Do not refridgerate. Make them just before you are ready to pour in the mold, but let them cool a bit (about 20 minutes). It's best if they are mixed in a container that has a pouring spout.

Next, just pour the gelatin into the molds until they are full. You can use multiple flavours/colours as the gel will be thick and shouldn't mix that much.

Then refridgerate for the rest of the party. In about 1-2 hours, pull them out, and let each kid pull their gummy reptiles out of the molds and eat them.

It;s super fun! If I get the exact recipe for the gelatin, I will let you know.

jesse's mommy
November 18th, 2005, 08:57 AM
What about a dirt dessert with the gummy worms in it?