Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

itchy, balding dog

neeeeeeeeens
November 11th, 2005, 12:40 PM
awhile ago my dog got fleas. we gave her a flea bath and they went away, but ever since she has been licking herself to the point where she has bald spots and sores. We are pretty sure it isnt fleas anymore, because the flea baths are ineffective and we dont see any fleas at all. it seems like irritated skin. we bought hydrocortisone spray and that seems to sooth it, but not enough. any suggestions?

raingirl
November 11th, 2005, 12:41 PM
COuld be a flea allergy or food allergy or dry skin.

What food is he/she on? How often do you bath him/her?

neeeeeeeeens
November 11th, 2005, 12:46 PM
um, well, shes on watever food is on sale that week...but recently she's stopped eating her hard food and only likes the soft stuff? could that be it? we bathe her about every other month

raingirl
November 11th, 2005, 01:06 PM
it's not good to change your dogs food each week as it can cause problems with the way they digest it, which could be why they are itching so much.

It's actually cheaper to feed a higher quality food rather than the "grocery store brands" and other bad brands like ol'roy, iams, purina, kibbles n bits, etc.

http://www.gooddogmagazine.com/dogfoodcosts.htm

I would start by feeding a food that has no corn/soy/wheat/beef/chicken in it for a few months and see if the itching stops. Try Natural Balance (Dick Van Patten brand) duck and potato food. It's very good. Also try feeding some yogurt (tbsp per feeding, put it on the food) and some fish oil (1 tsp once a day) and this should help. Fish oil you can get at the health food store.

neeeeeeeeens
November 11th, 2005, 01:16 PM
wow
thanks so much

Lucky Rescue
November 11th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Your dog needs to see the vet. Bald spots, sores, irritation and licking all need to be treated by a doctor to find out the source.

I don't know what kind of spray you got, but you should never put human type medications on an animal without consulting a vet, since these products are not designed to be licked off and swallowed.

neeeeeeeeens
November 11th, 2005, 03:00 PM
the spray was specialized for animals