Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

AG's wife's law firm bills Ontario taxpayers

seeker
November 10th, 2005, 09:29 PM
I read this in the sun today . Apparently Bryant's wife is a partner in a lawfirm her official title is "Entertainment Lawyer" . The amount billed to the AG's office was $442,566 last year . Tory MPP Runciman is demanding further investigation.

They said it was because a lawyer from the firm was hired as "council" to the Ipperwash inquiry . I wonder how many hours and at what rate the Ipperwash inquiry was billed ?
That was the Liberal explanation , I would like to hear the truth

babyrocky1
November 10th, 2005, 09:50 PM
Thanks Seeker this IS good news. It sounds like hes really in it this time!!! People are very sensative to this kind of thing now, thats for sure....I hope this is the one that gets him what he deserves, until we get him in court that is. I think we have a much better chance of the crown not appealing a positive decision for us with Bryant slithering away in disgrace.:D

twodogsandacat
November 10th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Good news. Looks good on him the little jerk. Here's the story: http://ottsun.canoe.ca/News/National/2005/11/10/1300238-sun.html

I hope MPP Bob Runciman pursues this issue with the tenacity of…well…a pit bull. :D This won't go away. Hopefully it blows into a full scandal and the little man has to go join Sorbara in the backbenches.

If it blows over then look for posters in Bryant's riding in 2007 detailing the payments. Let the voters decide. Most will see it for what it is. Crawley can spin it for the press all he wants but I doubt he can sell it to the voters.

MPP questions tab from firm of AG's wife

TORONTO -- Leeds-Grenville Tory MPP Bob Runciman is demanding answers from Attorney General Michael Bryant over billings to his ministry by his wife's legal firm.

Runciman said he wants to know why the law firm of Goodman and Carr, where Bryant's wife Susan Abramovitch is an entertainment lawyer and partner, billed the attorney general $442,566 last year.

According to Public Accounts, the firm had not made any billings to the ministry for several years prior to 2004-05, Runciman said. "I think it merits a closer look," he said.

Brendan Crawley, a spokesman for the Ministry of the Attorney General, said a lawyer with the firm was hired as counsel to the Ipperwash inquiry, which is investigating the death of Native protester Dudley George.

"This particular counsel was hired by the (Ipperwash) commissioner independently of the minister and the ministry," Crawley said.

babyrocky1
November 10th, 2005, 10:50 PM
If he gets ousted as AG we have to do something spectacular to mark his falling_-:fingerscr Like throw a big bash to celebrate, just so he knows how happy we are...and how were still thinking of him...NA NA NA, NA NA NA, hey hey hey gooood bye...:party:

jesse's mommy
November 10th, 2005, 10:52 PM
I say pit bull owners unite. On the day he is ousted, everyone (with their dogs) stand in front and give him a goodbye and a salute! :evil:

seeker
November 10th, 2005, 11:03 PM
This is the kind of publicity the little chestbeater needs . They say he loves to be infront of the cameras where is he now ?
Just some thoughts: A criminal lawyer defends people charged with criminal offences , a civil lawyer deals with family issues , a realestate lawer deals with land matters ,what does an entertainment lawyer do . Too many titles in this ever increasing politically correct society.

babyrocky1
November 10th, 2005, 11:07 PM
Well right now I feel "entertained" LOL I guess shes doing her job.:)

seeker
November 10th, 2005, 11:12 PM
I say pit bull owners unite. On the day he is ousted, everyone (with their dogs) stand in front and give him a goodbye and a salute! :evil:

I'd salute him alright with one finger .

twodogsandacat
November 10th, 2005, 11:25 PM
This is the kind of publicity the little chestbeater needs . They say he loves to be infront of the cameras where is he now ?
Just some thoughts: A criminal lawyer defends people charged with criminal offences , a civil lawyer deals with family issues , a realestate lawer deals with land matters ,what does an entertainment lawyer do . Too many titles in this ever increasing politically correct society.

Actually it is a full service law firm BUT she is a partner and perception is everything. This should be enough to keep him out of office next time if he manages to avoid being kicked out. :thumbs up

Imagine the possibilities for a poster campaign to tick off all the hard working people in his riding merely by stating the facts and letting them draw their own conclusions – right or wrong. I love the truth - you can't get sued for it. I've already saved the online article as a PDF and am mailing it out.

I hope Bob Runciman hounds him daily on this, we may get some good quotes.

As for the parade, if I'm in Ontario then I will definitely be in Toronto on that day to be part of that giant :grouphug:

Jazz&Cricket
November 10th, 2005, 11:28 PM
Seems to me...emails of encouragement to Bob Runciman may be in order...remember, pitbull owners are GUILTY until proven innocent..maybe the same should apply to the AG and partner??

twodogsandacat
November 10th, 2005, 11:30 PM
Seems to me...emails of encouragement to Bob Runciman may be in order...remember, pitbull owners are GUILTY until proven innocent..maybe the same should apply to the AG and partner??

Done earlier this evening. Here's the link http://www.bobruncimanmpp.com/index.htm

seeker
November 11th, 2005, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the link twodogs . I sent a short letter thanking Bob for exposing Bryant and encouraging him to keep it up.

Please cross post this to anyother forums ,thanks

BullLover
November 11th, 2005, 10:13 AM
I'd salute him alright with one finger .

Is there any other way to salute him? I don't think so.....

Schwinn
November 11th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Is there any other way to salute him? I don't think so.....

Actually, you use all five fingers, but curl them in a ball, and...

twodogsandacat
November 11th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Actually, you use all five fingers, but curl them in a ball, and...

Hey, you had your chance :D .....and made the smart choice.

I'm looking forward to all the non-slanderous statements I can make about him.

mastifflover
November 11th, 2005, 11:50 AM
This looks so good on the short little F******. I love when these losers get caught. Why would they even use a law firm where his wife works it only leads to people assuming that it is an act of inpropriety DUH they are politicians of course there is an ulterior motive there are only a few honest politians out there you could probably count them on your fingers. I agree we need to thank Bob R for going after MB.

twodogsandacat
November 11th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Why would they even use a law firm where his wife works it only leads to people assuming that it is an act of inpropriety DUH they are politicians of course there is an ulterior motive there are only a few honest politians out there you could probably count them on your fingers.

Come on, you know. These are kids of wealth and privilege that get where they are because of whom daddy knows. It leaves them stupid, arrogant and with a feeling of entitlement. Both McGuinty and Bryant fall into this category. Of course so does Gerorge Bush Jr.

Sorbara, well he had ‘serious concerns’ about the company that eventually led to him being named in a search warrant – yet he stayed for about TEN YEARS. I guess his serious concerns didn’t preclude leaving the company and giving up those pay cheques.

I know of only one Ontario Liberal that I have any remaining respect for. It's too bad, I kinda liked the guy.

babyrocky1
November 11th, 2005, 08:41 PM
Come on, you know. These are kids of wealth and privilege that get where they are because of whom daddy knows. It leaves them stupid, arrogant and with a feeling of entitlement. Both McGuinty and Bryant fall into this category. Of course so does Gerorge Bush Jr.

. I also think in Bryants case he probably had his wife do his law school homework!!!!:)

twodogsandacat
November 11th, 2005, 09:02 PM
I also think in Bryants case he probably had his wife do his law school homework!!!!:)

Probably. I heard that before he met her that in university he would ignore all the A), B), C), D), and E) on the multiple choice answers and pencil in Number 16 and then circle it.

His first choice in school was actually a math program but he quickly learned he had no talent for it. Mostly because as we all know the square root of 625 is 25, not 16. The same goes for 5 times 5. Poor guy.

Thank god she’s the one bringing home the bacon.

babyrocky1
November 11th, 2005, 09:11 PM
[QUOTE=Thank god she’s the one bringing home the bacon.[/QUOTE] Yep but it now looks like she was getting help from his office to FATTEN the bacon LOL!

twodogsandacat
November 14th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Now we hear that the” the former law firm of Attorney General Michael Bryant” has also received large amounts of business with the Attorney General’s office.

If anybody gets through on the phone tonight to CP24 while this turkey is on air please ask about this. Be aware that there will probably be Bryant Cronies standing by on the phones to try and block legitimate callers from getting through so be advised that usally you can also email your questions in.

http://www.lawtimesnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=304&Itemid=82

McCarthy Tétrault LLP, the former law firm of Attorney General Michael Bryant, charged $487,000, the ministry’s fourth-highest legal bill. Goodman and Carr LLP, where Bryant’s wife Susan Abram-ovitch is a partner, had the sixth-highest bill at $442,000.

Watchdog
November 25th, 2005, 09:09 AM
It seems to me that the pitbull ban in Ontario is nothing but a scam.The government knew that it would be appealed.Now Bryant can swindle a huge sum of money from the taxpayers to fight the appeal.I wonder if his wife will be hired as "entertainment lawyer" for the appeal.It will be interesting to see who gets paid what for them to argue over a breed of dog that they know nothing about.After reading the article -AG's wife's law firm.......and reading the last sentence of it "This particular counsel was hired by the[Ipperwash] commissioner independently of the minister and the ministry," Crawley said. Well my question is. Why the hell did they bill the minister and the ministry then?

SnowDancer
November 25th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Goodman and Carr is a full service law firm. They accepted the assignment from the Attorney General's office knowing full well of the possible conflict. It is not unusual for a lawyer to sit on a board of a firm and have the lawyer's firm do much of the legal work for the company so same conflict. Many of the larger firms are now asking their lawyers not to sit on boards. Goodman and Carr was and I am sure still is a very reputable law firm - just used bad judgement. I expect his wife did not work on the file - but confined herself to her specialty of entertainment law. And, yes, Michael Bryant does have very high profile supporters. I do not care for Michael Bryant - never did, from the moment he decided to enter politics - but my reasons are varied and existed long before the pit bull situation.

twodogsandacat
November 25th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Goodman and Carr is a full service law firm. They accepted the assignment from the Attorney General's office knowing full well of the possible conflict. It is not unusual for a lawyer to sit on a board of a firm and have the lawyer's firm do much of the legal work for the company so same conflict. Many of the larger firms are now asking their lawyers not to sit on boards. Goodman and Carr was and I am sure still is a very reputable law firm - just used bad judgement.

Just used bad judgement? Exactly; but more so on Michael Bryant’s side than Goodman and Carr. I just plan on letting his constituents know about it and make their own decisions. Right or wrong…..let the voter decide.

babyrocky1
November 25th, 2005, 05:35 PM
It seems to me that the pitbull ban in Ontario is nothing but a scam.The government knew that it would be appealed.Now Bryant can swindle a huge sum of money from the taxpayers to fight the appeal.I wonder if his wife will be hired as "entertainment lawyer" for the appeal.It will be interesting to see who gets paid what for them to argue over a breed of dog that they know nothing about.After reading the article -AG's wife's law firm.......and reading the last sentence of it "This particular counsel was hired by the[Ipperwash] commissioner independently of the minister and the ministry," Crawley said. Well my question is. Why the hell did they bill the minister and the ministry then?Welcome Watchdog! I think youll find a sympathetic audience here LOL.

Watchdog
November 25th, 2005, 11:07 PM
Full service? For $442,000 she could have gave "full service" to every truck driver from here to Halifax! If it looks like a liberal scam,sounds like a liberal scam,its a liberal scam and the onus will be on Bryant to prove otherwise.

seeker
November 26th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Where is the master grandstander these days ?

twodogsandacat
November 26th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Where is the master grandstander these days ?

Funny you should ask.....................

Well he went to a dinner with his wife (they were described as part of the glammed up money folks – I guess that would be some of the money billed to his office right?) but she would of preferred something a little warmer. Sorry honey you married him. I guess you are stuck with him although you could of done much better.

We would preferred somebody a little warmer too, and smarter.

At the Writers Trust fundraising dinner on Wednesday night, there were also a number of authors looking "comfortable," especially compared with the glammed-up money folks. Toronto entertainment lawyer Susan Abramovitch, whose date was Michael Bryant, Attorney-General of Ontario, was slinky in a floor-length silk sheath. But she really would have preferred something a little, well, warmer.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20051126/DRESSCODE26/TPEntertainment/Style

LL1
November 28th, 2005, 01:42 PM
The government pays the bill but does not hire the lawyers.
After reading the article -AG's wife's law firm.......and reading the last sentence of it "This particular counsel was hired by the[Ipperwash] commissioner independently of the minister and the ministry," Crawley said. Well my question is. Why the hell did they bill the minister and the ministry then?

babyrocky1
November 28th, 2005, 02:15 PM
I think they, the government, are responsible for WHO they pay the money to. There are supposed to be strict conflict of interest laws in place. If they do n ot cover someting like this then they should, IMHO. Besides that Bryant has made so many implications about all of us as a group that linking him to anything scandalous is simply playing the game by his rules! Remember when he said he had recieved threats? By whom? the boogey man, BULL! that was just a remark to make us look bad. With all of his resources, he still looks like an idiot AND more importanatly a SLEAZE BALL and thats cause he is! In political life, you have to keep your distance from the "appearance of inpropriety" He didn't, hes fair game!

babyrocky1
November 28th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Hey Seeker...Love the new nose!:evil:

LL1
November 28th, 2005, 02:26 PM
The Commissioner hired the lawyers,and the govt pays the bill.

Watchdog
November 28th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Is Bryant really that simple of mind and ignorant? Do you people believe that what he says is really how he feels about pitbulls?If the ban is defeated in the appeal or not do you think he really cares?He will win either way as he will come out with his pockets lined from whatever amount of money he decides to take from the taxpayers to fight the appeal.If he was concerned about doing his job he would have gave Steven Truscott his name back by now.He has only been waiting since 1959! Its the same question about Paul Martin as it is for Bryant- Is his head down in the pigpen or is it up his ass?

babyrocky1
November 28th, 2005, 09:06 PM
Is Bryant really that simple of mind and ignorant? Do you people believe that what he says is really how he feels about pitbulls?II believe that at the time he propsed the ban he LOVED pit bullls!!! He thought that exploiting the urban mythology surrounding the breed would make his career. But, now the tax payers are getting ticked off, they see him as wasting time and money instead of doing a legitamate job. He acts only in his own self interests, which has probably much more to do with his jinormouse ego than money. He responds in the most extreme ways to draw attention to himself rather than coming forth with thoughtful solutions to problems that may not get him as much media! And no Im not through Bryant bashing, just tired for the night:)

Watchdog
December 1st, 2005, 08:34 PM
Yes it certainly seems that way.Now he wants to have the decision on Karla Holmoka appealed.He knows darn well that you cant monkey with a past plea bargin or nobody will ever trust the courts and offer information ever again.It seems to me he just loves to waste huge amounts of money making a name for himself.It makes me wonder though that if we win our appeal in May if he may just turn around and ask that decision to be appealled as well.This could turn out to be a huge financial burden for us.I cant believe that this guy is the minister of justice.I mean where is the justice in forced votes,ignoring information from experts,and giving innocent animals the death penalty and using the lives of the most misunderstood and abused breed of dog for the purpose of greed and cheap politics?

babyrocky1
December 1st, 2005, 09:00 PM
The unfortunate reality is that we have been told that if we win the AG most certainly will appeal, however, that was a while back, and Im hoping the recent bad press that the AG has gotten over "wasting his time" on pit bulls will be a deterent for him OR that we are too close to an election. On the other hand, if we loose, we will appeal, so yes it could be a long hard fight. And completely unecessary, all to appease one mans ego:mad: And here we were under the illusion that laws in Ontario could not be made on the basis of "urban Myth" well at least I was, but no more.:sad:

Watchdog
December 1st, 2005, 10:06 PM
He must be making a lot of money on these appeals.He makes a big mess and then gets financially rewarded for appealing his own mess and making a bigger mess.Arrogance ,greed ,fraud ,theft and lies is what it looks like to me, along with misleading the public and mass cruelty to animals.I believe he should be in prison.

seeker
December 2nd, 2005, 11:09 PM
Hey Seeker...Love the new nose!:evil:

The Nose is where it belongs , don't you think ? Watch it grow a little each day.

seeker
December 2nd, 2005, 11:11 PM
I believe he should be in prison.

I think he belongs in Hell.

babyrocky1
December 2nd, 2005, 11:20 PM
I think he belongs in Hell.yeah back were he came from!:evil: :evil: :evil:

babyrocky1
December 2nd, 2005, 11:21 PM
maybe instead of a lawyer we should have gotten an exorcist.

Watchdog
December 3rd, 2005, 09:15 AM
He is too far gone for even an exorcist to straighten him out.Only an angel can.:evil: :angel: