Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Cat Has Asthma

SarahLeeJane
November 10th, 2005, 02:44 PM
I just found out today that my cat has asthma.
He has had constant breathing problems for the past year and a half (he's 10 yrs old). I have taken him to the vet before and was told that it was just a cough and have him take some pills and he would be fine. But the last couple of weeks, or more towards the past 3-4 days he has been coughing non-stop, breathing with his stomach and not with his lungs and he has been wezzing when he is breathing. Plus not eating and of course losing a lot of weight.
Last night we decided that he has to go to the vet and now. So today we made an appointment for this afternoon. The vet decided that is was asthma (i was prepared to come home without him:sad: ), with all the signs he has been showing for the last few days, and with his other visits. He was given steroids today to open up his lungs. I have to take him back in a couple of days to make sure the treatment is working and if it the right one for my boy.

:confused: Now my question is, does anyone out there have a cat with asthma, and what have you done to make his home a better place to live (he doesn't go outside)?? Is there other treatments out there and which ones would be the best?? Is this going to be a costly thing that I should be saving up for?? Is it really a serious thing??
I'm just not too sure what to think. I have never really heard of cats having asthma, let alone even knowing what to do with one who does have asthma.:confused:

Any ideas on what to do to understand this, would help me a lot. And I do have a list of things to ask the vet when I go back.

Thank you all for your time

Prin
November 10th, 2005, 09:16 PM
That must have been so scary! I saw a great dane with asthma at our park once and it was horrible to watch. I haven't been through it before, but I hope you figure out a way to manage it. Good luck.:grouphug:

xFire Angelx
November 12th, 2005, 03:50 AM
well my cat baby has asthma... although he hasnt shown any signs in a couple years...
when he was diagnosed with it he was given a steroid shot after that he was fine and hasnt needed another one since
the vet said the asthma might have been because of enviromental allergies but we dunno for sure
i hope the medication works though its really scary watching em have such a hard time breathing

Snooky'sMom
November 14th, 2005, 07:05 AM
My oldest kitty used to have asthma (He died at 19 years old this Sept of many health problems.) I had been giving him the steroids for awhile but found out they became ineffective after time and had to be increased (I have asthma myself and find the same thing). So I started giving him homeopathic treatment Arsenicum Album. I would give him the 30 CH two or three times a week and that would do the trick. Of course, just like humans with homeopathy, the treatment has to match the cat's problems. Arsenicum Album are for cats or people who tend to be chilly, like it warm, feel insecure,and with a dry cough. I found this treatment by reading the book "Homeopathic Care for Cats and Dogs" by Don Hamilton, DVM. A different homeopathic treatment might be best for your cat depending on his symptoms.

SarahLeeJane
November 15th, 2005, 01:01 PM
M kitty got the okay yesterday. Hes a LOT better then what he was a week ago. The vet said that the moment to notice hime breathing funny or coughing again to bring him in right away.
I know this may sound weird but I am sooo happy i didn't have to put him down and this is whats wrong with him
Thanks guys

NICKY
November 27th, 2005, 10:29 PM
i was worried about my cat regarding his breathing some time ago, and the vet told me that it was allergies to pollin in the air. his was more of a mild wheezing (not asthma), but all the same it worried me.

the interesting thing is, that not long after the vet had said that it was caused from allergy to pollin, we changed over his regualar dry food that he had been having for ages to another brand.

for quite some time his breathing passage was clear and absolutly no sign of weezing of breathlessness.

Last week, my mother gave me some dry food that her cat wouldnt eat anymore (he's 15 and getting a bit fussy!), so we gave that to nicky for two nights.. the first night the weezing was back mildly, and the second it was a little worse... the next day we swapped back to the regular dry food, and since then, no more weezing!

so, basically just food for thought, was it allergy to the dry food, or pollin? :)