Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sudden sitting

SchnauzerGirl
November 10th, 2005, 01:07 PM
After a few days of noticing Schultz suddenly sit, like he had been pinched, I decided that it was time to rush him into the vet's office. Thinking it might be his anal glands needing draining, a vet tech looked at his bum but apparently the glands were empty so she dewormed him and they sent me home with another worming treatment that I need to give him in two weeks.

My question, which I forgot to ask, is when would I see a difference in the sudden sitting if it is worms? Should I go back on the weekend if there hasn't been an improvement? Also I am thinking, with his allergies, he has been having ear issues, could bum issues also develop from allergies?

I just want my baby to be healthy and happy! :mad:

Thanks for everyone's help and support, this is a super place!

rivers
November 10th, 2005, 02:59 PM
As you know I have a Schnauzer too. What diet is your Shultz on? What allergies does he have?

Shaykeija
November 10th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Sophie my Shih Tzhu did this also this summer. Freaked me right out. I took her to the vet and had her butt check and emptied. He said that he thought that it was her allergies. Anyway she has stopped doing this .:p

SchnauzerGirl
November 10th, 2005, 05:22 PM
That's good to hear that your dog has stopped! Schultz is pretty gassy too cos of whatever he is allergic to, so I thought that the sitting could be from gas... But it certainly has gone way past that!

I've switched Schultz over to Solid Gold Wee Bit and the scratching has certainly reduced, but not gone. I was told yesterday that the local pet store will be carrying Wellness so I may try that but first I want to edit out all chicken in his diet, so that's next. He will stay on Solid Gold for not and I bought some seameal to see if that might help too.

We had a Schnauzer when I was growing up and he had skin problems but it was "doggy acne" and fatty deposits, but it wasn't bad. My co-worker also has a schnauzer with doggy acne problems so I know they are prone to issues but I didn't think it would be driving us both nuts!

Rivers, how is your puppy doing?

rivers
November 12th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Ebony is doing fine. She is only 11 weeks, so too young to show any bad signs from her diet.
She does scratch now and again, but I just think it is regular dog scratching.
I tried Wellness for her when she first came home, but she didn't touch it. So we are feeding her Eukanuba lamb and rice, which is what she is used to from the breeder. I want to change her onto something else, as I am afraid of skin allergies, but can't seem to make a decision.
I just want someone to say to me 'You have a schnauzer...so feed her this.'!

SchnauzerGirl
November 15th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Yeh, if it were only that easy! I would have happily kept Schultz on Neutro Natural Lamb and Rice but he hated it and also it was giving him bumps so I switched. I am going to see if I can get him onto Wellness so we will see.

As for an update, I am happy to say that he appears to not be suddenly sitting anymore, so that's great although he was drooling last night in his sleep so I am not sure what that is all about. I was horrified to read that cashew nuts are toxic to dogs and his "grandpa" loves to feed him cashews (a lot of cashews), so no more of those!

rivers
November 15th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Glad to hear Shultz is feeling a tad better. I wasn't sure if you got my other post about the cashews, so I'm glad you know about them now. With any luck, maybe it is the cashews that caused the bumps and will go away now.
I am going to try Solid Gold Wolfcub. Do you know anything about this food?

SchnauzerGirl
November 15th, 2005, 05:47 PM
Schultz is currently eating solid gold Wee Bit, only because I can get it in small bags, but I know that Wolf Cub is highly recommended by Prin and a few other people on the site. Schultz seems to like the kibble way better than anything that I have tried, although I have only tried two other types of kibble. I assume that the Wolf Cub and Wee Bit are more or less the same kibble, one is just smaller than the other.

I am going to try to switch to Wellness Simple Solutions, only because they have one type of protien and one type of grain so I can start ruling out other grain allergies. I am going to get a bag from the store tonight so we will see how that goes.

Dog Dancer
November 16th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Hi SchnauzerGirl, glad to hear Schultz is doing better. He's a cutie for sure! My lab is allergic to chicken and I saw in your post you wanted to eliminate all chicken from his food, and you've probably seen this in other threads I've posted to, but avoid any food that has chicken or poultry fat as an ingredient (many lamb and rice products use it) and also avoid animal fat as that could be chicken. My vet said the fats have the proteins removed and allergies shouldn't be an issue with that, but it was for us. So that's just my two cents worth for you to think about. We also use the seameal from Solid Gold, my two dogs love it on their kibble. One is on Solid Gold Wolf King and the allergy dog gets Go Natural Salmon and Oatmeal which seems to be working well for her.