Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Calgary Dog Training??

tojules
November 10th, 2005, 10:16 AM
I'm looking into training for our Sophie (2yr Lhasa Apso cross) to start in January with her.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what to look for when looking for training? 1-4hr session better than 4-1hr sessions? I have a hard time believing one session is enough and that you can keep your pup's attention for that long. I know class size matters (I'd like 10 dogs or less), location as well...I had looked into PetSmart and don't like the idea of training in the store, but they had the best price.

What's the average cost for lessons? Average length? And, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to ask this...but does anybody have any suggestions or recommendations for trainers in Calgary?? Haven't quite figured out if someone will get in trouble if they're promoting themselves, but I'm assuming referrals are ok??

OH...and one last question...yes, how can you tell I'm a newbie furmom :D , 1001 questions!! What are the best treats to use?? We're finding Sophie is not a fan of treats at all, especially the McD's version of treats (snausages, begging strips, milk bones, etc), she's uber picky and seems to take them only because she feels compelled to. Actually the only treat she actually seems to quasi like is AKC training treats, the rest are all kind of junk to her.

Puppyluv
November 10th, 2005, 08:23 PM
I know a great trainer in Calgary, he has worked (and still does work) wonders with my parents very attitude-filled dog. I will PM you with his info.

PetFriendly
November 11th, 2005, 02:03 PM
I'm looking into training for our Sophie (2yr Lhasa Apso cross) to start in January with her.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what to look for when looking for training? 1-4hr session better than 4-1hr sessions? I have a hard time believing one session is enough and that you can keep your pup's attention for that long. I know class size matters (I'd like 10 dogs or less), location as well...I had looked into PetSmart and don't like the idea of training in the store, but they had the best price.

What's the average cost for lessons? Average length? And, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to ask this...but does anybody have any suggestions or recommendations for trainers in Calgary?? Haven't quite figured out if someone will get in trouble if they're promoting themselves, but I'm assuming referrals are ok??

OH...and one last question...yes, how can you tell I'm a newbie furmom :D , 1001 questions!! What are the best treats to use?? We're finding Sophie is not a fan of treats at all, especially the McD's version of treats (snausages, begging strips, milk bones, etc), she's uber picky and seems to take them only because she feels compelled to. Actually the only treat she actually seems to quasi like is AKC training treats, the rest are all kind of junk to her.

You'll probably want more shorter sessions than one long one. The training is more for you than the dog, the dog learns when you take what you've leanred home and practice. Plus, it makes for that many more outings for the dog which help with social skills, etc.

Hang around and see what the PetSmart trainer is doing and how its done. I've seen good ones (ones that have a few tricks up their sleeve when technique A fails) and I've seen bad ones (my methode works on all dogs). The great thing about PetSmart is that the store has built in distractions (people, smells, noises, etc).

You could call the humane society and ask if they have any recomendations. You can also check any company out with your local Better Business Bureau. If possible, you want a trainer who can teach life skills as well as regular obedience, and a trainer that will allow the entire family to attend is that much better.

Charley likes de-hydrated liver treats. The only place I can find them is at a store called Berry's Petfood (If I remember the name I'll post it). The great thing about these is that they are nice and dry and can be broken into very many little pieces so you can pretty much use a single one for each session.