Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Joey peed in someones elses house

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 10th, 2005, 08:29 AM
I am trying to find an answer to this question but no one has replied so far.See Joey visits doggie retreat over in the training session.

So here it is again. :eek:
Is it normal for my dog Joey (neutured at 4 years) to pee in someone elses house. They have a dog too also neutured.
He has never peed or pooed at home, but on two occasions has peed on people, both with male dogs. The owners were female (I dont think that makes any difference but you never know)

Any insight into this?

BMDLuver
November 10th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Lol, we had a schnauzer mix come in to rescue, not neutered at 18 months. I was introducing him to a family and all of a sudden felt something warm running down my leg... sure enough, he'd used me as a tree. He has been neutered for some time now but still marks occasionally on unfamiliar territory with other dogs present. Joey may always do it or may just need some more time. Sorry, not very helpful.

jawert1
November 10th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Minus his incontinence issues, Simon has only ever pee'd in my parents house and that's cuz they've got a neutered male beagle mix. Well, and he's pee'd on a friend of mine before but I think he was just staking it out that he was the dom male in the house ;)

Rottielover
November 10th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Back to square 1, reccomend keeping him on leash while at someones house, and catch him when he is thinking about doing it, then correct him

Prin
November 10th, 2005, 01:16 PM
My old yeller lab would take a dump in every house we visited. She never did it at home EVER. It was kind of funny afterward, but man, do you feel like a horrible mom or what? It's so embarrassing.

Basically, Joey walks into a house that REEKS of another dog and not one hair anywhere is his. So he pees. And it smells like him. And everybody is happy (except you...). But ya, that's my reasoning as to why they do it. How to stop it? I don't have a clue.:o

StaceyB
November 10th, 2005, 11:29 PM
Joey was fixed late so it is quite possible that he has marked in this home with the other dog. It may also be that someone else had an accident in that home at another time. It could have been an animal that was there before this family or this dog.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 12th, 2005, 08:12 PM
I just got a rather abrupt email from the lady whose house Joey peed in. I really wondered what was the point.
First she said that it was not normal behavior for Joey to pee in someone elses house. Reading this thread it is more normal than she thinks. Not acceptable I agree but running a doggie daycare she must have had it happen before. Then she said Joey growled at their dog about 3 times within the visit. Yes very possible as he does sometimes have an issue with larger male dogs and he wasnt interested in socializing with another dog that was there either. Then she reccommended that we work on Joeys' "toileting issues" as obviously he is not house broken. :evil:. Then she said she didnt think it would work out for Joey as he is more people oriented than dog oriented and does not get along with other dogs. I have seen Joey get along with other dogs, and I have taken him to a dog park too and seen this for myself.
So what irks me about this is before we declined her services. Joey was a complete angel and besides the peeing he behaived wonderfully. She said the Joey ignored Charlie but she never mentioned any growling and asked if I would like to make a booking which I did.
She quoted me a price that was $25 higher than what she quoted my husband and when my husband asked about it she got very angry. My husband emailed her and just said thankyou but we are making other arrangements.
Then she said in her email that she would have given us the lower rate for Joey.
Seems to be she was willing to take Joey and make some money but when we declined Joey all of a sudden had all these issues.

Sorry to ramble just needed to vent a bit.:mad: now I will go delete her email and just pretend the whole thing never happened.

CyberKitten
November 12th, 2005, 08:34 PM
J's mom, sorry but I don't completely understand the last paragraph of your last post. I understand Joey urinated inapropruately at the doggie daycare??? And that when you 1st talked to the owner about it, she said he was fine otherwise? Did she come up with these "issues" only after you took him out of daycare? And how and when did she offer a different price? Was this before or after Joey attended daycare? When you say she offered you a price higher than she did your husband, what do you mean? Before or after the incident or before he even went to daycare? And who talked to her 1st? Sorry for the confusion but maybe I am having a blonde day.

As to the inappropriate urination, I know what it means in cats but have never had it occur with any of our dogs - except once when we - as a family and I was a child - were on a camping trip and our fox terrier decided to pee in the car - I suspect she could not hold it until we stopped - hard to go the door or ask to be let out in a car I guess. Or she may have been nervous even tho she was always a good traveller. I guess I don't think peeing in someone's home to be "normal" behaviour - surely there must be a reason - but I don't think it means the dog has problems. It may very well be Joey smelled something in her house or was nervous about being in a new place. Did he do it when you were there? I do know dogs will sometimes urinate out of fear. (My vet and my cousin who is a vet tech asked me to help them with a group of rescued puppy mill pooches they had and many of them would urinate at the sight of a human, they had been so traumitized!) Makes me wonder what she is like and what kind of daycare she runs. And what her pratice is for handling whatever she terms "infractions" . The only other reason a dog would urinate is territorial and if she has a daycare for dogs, there have to be all manner of smells there - and maybe because Joey was neutered so late in life, later than the norm at any rate, he still has some territorial urges? I wonder if he was scared of any of the other dogs there and she did not handle it properly.

Here is one answer to this issue but there may be other complex reasons:

http://www.womenslife.co.za/Default.asp?action=article&ContentID=713

Good luck!!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 12th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Thank you for your reply CK And how and when did she offer a different price? Was this before or after Joey attended daycare? When you say she offered you a price higher than she did your husband, what do you mean? Before or after the incident or before he even went to daycare? And who talked to her 1st? Sorry for the confusion but maybe I am having a blonde day.

My husband orginally talked to her on the phone before Joeys visit and she quoted the orginal lower price to him for the 10 days. I wasnt aware of this price and she quoted me a price that was $25 higher than what she told my husband.

Did she come up with these "issues" only after you took him out of daycare?

she mentioned the peeing in the house, but never mentioned the growling until after we declined her services. He very well may have growled at their dog, but she never mentioned it until after we said no. I asked her how Joey was with their dog and she told me that he ignored him. Which to me would be acceptable.
CK
Did he do it when you were there? I do know dogs will sometimes urinate out of fear.

yes he did it when I was there, I totally was not expecting it as he has never done it in our house. I think in his case it was territoral as Joey does tend to have dominant behavior. He also did one time after when I was gone too.

I guess now Joey has a new issue peeing in other peoples houses. Back to the training forum I go.:D

SarahLynn123
November 13th, 2005, 11:47 AM
You are not alone!!!

I took all three dogs to daycare on friday for the day. Belle always pees in other places except her house and now grammas house. She wasn't potty trained until she was 6 (when we got her) so I blame it on that. The other 2 dogs are suppose to perect angels. So we drop them off and peek through the glass to see how they do, Shadow lifts her leg and pees on something, then Belle pees, then Belle Poops:eek: then Shadow Poops:eek: :eek: (Wolf has been there before and was a good boy!) He come out laughing (the owner) as we are apologizing and completely embarrased. He says it happens ALL the time. If she's making a big deal out of that go somewhere else. Shadow growls all the time at everything and anything she is doing, she is very friendly just loud! They also had no problem with that so definatly go elsewhere!

SarahM
November 15th, 2005, 01:32 AM
Who cares if a dog pees at the daycare??? I worked at a boarding facility and a lot of dogs peed in their kennels or right when they get in the door. A lot of them did it immediately. If she has a problem with animals peeing then she needs to be in a different profession. Sorry, kinda off topic, Im just just reminded of this dog yesterday who was such a terror, he was a huge maniac hyper dog and he peed a lake, crapped all over and puked after he was groomed. He was a mess and I had to wash him again!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 15th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Thanks I feel better about it now, we have decided to go with a different boarding facility. This women was a bit wierd she would say one thing one minute and then say something totally different the next.

Lucky Rescue
November 15th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Who cares if a dog pees at the daycare???

No kidding! This is ridiculous. Anyone running a kennel or dog daycare has got to expect some pee, poop, puke, growling etc.

If this woman feels these behaviors are "abnormal" she should not dealing with dogs!

jesse's mommy
November 15th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Jesse has an obsession of smelling pee and poop (it doesn't matter if it's hers or another dog), so everytime we put Jesse in her kennel, the owners give her at least one bath (depending on how long she is there) because she has this thing that whenever she is in the kennel, she pees in her "room", then rolls around in it. It's just something she does. She's not scared, she doesn't growl, in fact they have the play area for the dogs and she usually goes and tires out 2-3 dogs before she gets tired. She has a ball there, but she pees and rolls in it for some reason. The kennel people say, it's just something dogs do and it's no big deal. She's also taken her bowl of water and thrown it in her room, splashing the other dogs. Picks up her dry food and throws it around -- making a big mess, but sharing with the other dogs on either side of her, ripped blankets and shirts with our scents apart because she shoves part of it through the "gate" to play tug of war with the other dogs, etc. Basically she makes a big mess, but the owners say she's just having fun and would have her back anytime because every dog there loves her and they love taking care of her, regardless of the mess she makes.

My point is, dogs make messes (some more than others). If the kennel owners don't understand that, then they should probably not be in that business. I'm glad to hear you've decided to go somewhere else.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 15th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Thanks everyone we still love Joey even with his anti social behavior and his toileting issues. We are going to send him somewhere where they will accept Joey as being Joey. :D

The kennel we are sending him to is excellent we know the people and they are excellent with dogs. I am not sure why we just didnt arrange it in the first place.

CyberKitten
November 15th, 2005, 04:14 PM
I agree with the sentiments expressed about this woman. When I first read the title of this thread, I thought Joey was visiting somewhere - like a home - and peed there. But a doggie daycare is different. This woman's attitude is akin to a childcare worker saying there is a problem with an infant who needs his diaper changed all the time. She is definitely in the wrong business and her place is prob not very healthy for any dog. I am glad to hear you are going elsewhere. And every dog or cat or bunny has dione something at some point - they are not always perefecr angels. If they were, then there would be probs, lol

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 15th, 2005, 05:25 PM
CyberkittenI agree with the sentiments expressed about this woman. When I first read the title of this thread, I thought Joey was visiting somewhere - like a home - and peed there.

well truthfully it was her home, but she runs a doggie daycare in her home. Nonetheless it wasnt a positive experience for me or Joey. Unless shes always had only perfect angel dogs visit her I find it hard to believe that Joey is the first one to pee in her house. :D

At least now I know to be aware when I take Joey visiting.

MollysMommy
November 16th, 2005, 10:11 PM
Molly pees every once in awhile in pet supply stores. It is so embarassing! I feel really bad when they clean it up because I could imagine how annoyed I'd be. :)

And she did something similar at my Grandma's house. It was the first time she'd ever been there (my grandparents don't have any animals and haven't for about 20 YEARS). So basically, a dog had never entered their house until Molly came visiting this summer. She pooped outside, went inside for the first time, and wiped her butt in a long streak across my grandma's carpet. I was mortified! Luckily they took it well.

Sorry to digress, but I just wanted to tell you I understand how embarassing it can be!

MollysMommy
November 16th, 2005, 10:12 PM
And I completely agree with the daycare. I was talking to the person that runs the daycare that Molly goes to, asking her if Molly ever has accidents. Well, she hasn't, but she said that other dogs do all the time, it wouldn't be a big deal at all. I guess that's why they don't have carpet. Could you imagine cleaning that all up!? :eek: