Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Litter of puppies are very skinny

pilisbury
November 10th, 2005, 07:09 AM
I have a chihuahua/chinsese crested dog he is almost two. He and most of his siblings are very thin and won't put on weight. They eat and play normally, but look unhealthy thin. Both parents have no issues are not thin at all. I work for a vet, they have been tested for all parasites and bloodwork looks good. Could I be missing anything?

LavenderRott
November 10th, 2005, 07:12 AM
A healthy weight for a dog is when where you can easily feel the ribs. I don't know about Canada, but here in the States, most people feel that their overweight dogs are of a correct weight and healthy.

What does the vet say about your dog's weight?

Prin
November 10th, 2005, 07:26 AM
Oh, in Canada too. I'd say at least half the dogs I see are beyond overweight.

Definitely go with the vet's opinion on this one. With puppies, you have to be careful that they are getting the nutrition they need. Oh, wait- he's two? That's not really a puppy anymore... :o

Maybe they have a genetic disorder? Endocrine disorder?

Puppyluv
November 10th, 2005, 07:32 AM
Oh, in Canada too. I'd say at least half the dogs I see are beyond overweight.

No kidding... it's sad when you go to the park to play, and some dogs have to stop every 15 seconds, panting, trying to catch their breath:( Although, I admit, at times I think that Layla is too skinny, but my vet says it's just the whippet in her (giving her that dainty waist and bone structure:p )

How much do the dogs weigh, what is their length, and what is their height? How much are you feeding them? how much are you exercising them? Do you still have the entire litter, or are you in contact with the owners of the other pups? Do they all have these concerns?