Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rawhide for Puppies/dogs

Jenmlf
November 9th, 2005, 03:03 PM
So I was in a pet store a few weeks ago to look for a rawhide shoe for my puppy to chew on while teething as his toys weren't enough. So I went it and asked the clerk (the owner of the store) where I would find the rawhide. She asked me how old the dog was I was buying for and I told her and she about ate my head off. I had no idea that rawhide shouldn't be given to any dog under 6 months and she even said that no dog should have it at all as they cant digest it. I don't really know what to think because I have never heard this before and besides this, this person who is all worried about a dog not digesting something sells puppies in her store. I don't know I just needed to get that off my chest as well as ask, is this true? should puppies not have rawhide? I ended up getting him a puppy kong (which he doesn't really like nomatter what I put in it) and a bull bone or whatever its called.

Jen

jessi76
November 9th, 2005, 03:11 PM
yes, it is true. It can cause intestinal blockage and could contain bacteria. There are many other things available for chewing on.

Jenmlf
November 9th, 2005, 04:04 PM
Thanks, I just wanted to double check. I didnt end up getting him any anyway.

PetFriendly
November 9th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Charley really liked the puppy nyla-bones. (make sure you get the puppy ones they are softer and easier on their teeth) But he only liked the flavoured ones, not the plain ones and he also likes the size that's bigger than the one he should probably have, likely because he can hold it better with his feet

puppup11
November 9th, 2005, 06:25 PM
It's been hard to find anything natural for a dog to chew on that doesn't pose a risk, other than natural raw bones. Rawhide can get soft and the dog can try to swallow it and choke or have it block their intestines. Pigs ears have caused diahhrea in our dog too. Cow's hooves are great for dogs that aren't that strong, but our dog breaks them up and swallows large triangular pieces of them. The funny thing is that she won't chew on bones, she only barks at them.

doggy lover
November 9th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Tucker chews great hunks off of real bones too, I give him rawhide bones but watch that he doesn't swallow large hunks. I was giving him the leg bones and he would pass large pieces of bones that were sharp and it scared me. I've used the other nyla bones that break into pieces the largest ones and he would go through them and swallow large pieces too. He would go through one in a day. So that is why I buy him the large rawhide bones they last a couple of days. Does anyone have any better ideas?

StaceyB
November 9th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Dogs can't digest rawhide even as adults but rawhide is not meant for eating only chewing. You should supervise at all times to make sure your dog or puppy is not taking pieces off and swallowing them.

Buy the multi packs and only let your puppy chew on one for no more than 20 minutes then take it away to let it harden up and give a new one if you want. When choosing the size your puppy should not be able to put their mouth over the end. All they should be able to do is chew on a small part of it at a time. If you notice that there is a piece getting loose remove and repair it. If your puppy is a very heavy chewer and starts to take it apart in less time then you may choose not to use it. The size you need is always much larger than what you think it would be. Never use the thin shoes, sticks or flips(flat like paper).

PetFriendly
November 10th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Other chewing things to try are teddy bears, there is usually a decent selection at your neighbourhood goodwill or sally ann store. Something else that Charley likes (but he only get when supervised) are plastic pop bottles (usually 500 ml or 1 litre) with the labels pealed off. They make a great racket when they role on the ground or if he bites onto them, the more noise the bottle makes, the more he rolls it around and chases after it. You can also put kibble in for added noise and interest.