Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

itchy skin making us both crazy

papillonmama
November 9th, 2005, 03:48 PM
:ca:
Hi, my little papillon gets dry itchy skin when the weather starts getting cooler, like for the last couple of weeks... The Oatmeal Shampoo was working last year, but it seems it won't this year. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem with their little one and how they dealt with it. BTW there isn't any sore or red spots, scabs, fleas, or even flakes, just itchy skin.:confused:
So if there's anyone else out there with this challenge, I would love to hear your input.

jesse's mommy
November 9th, 2005, 03:52 PM
My dog doesn't have that, but I do and it happens everytime the weather gets cooler. It drives me insane too, but I've just learned to deal with it. I buy those expensive shampoos to help with dry skin and use tons of lotion on my body. I'm sure they have a pet shampoo that is similar to the shampoo I use. I would look for something like that. Hopefully that helps.

SnowDancer
November 9th, 2005, 06:09 PM
I have an Eskimo who has dry skin and hence scratches - as do I. 10 days ago I started him on The Missing Link supplement. His scratching is about 1/2of what it was. He is up to 2/3 of the recommended dose - you are supposed to introduce it over a 2 week period.

RydenStoompala
November 12th, 2005, 08:07 AM
My dog had a chronic "hot spot," an itchy area on the front of his chest. We tried all kinds of things but thought we just had to live with it. Then we tried supplementing his diet with zinc. It was one of these bulletin boards where someone had posted the same problem and had mentioned that zinc cleared it up. Anyway, within two days there was no sign of the itchy patch and it has never returned. We give him a zinc pill (15 mg) every other day with one of his two daily meals and he's 100% better. He's an 80 pound Samoyed (big dog). It's been three years since we started, so he's been without the itchy patch for half of his life.

Puppyluv
November 12th, 2005, 09:52 AM
The condition you are describing Ryden, is zinc-responsive dermatitis, and is not the same thing that papillonm. is describing (note how she clearly states the lack of hot spots).
I would not start giving your dog zinc unless you know that its needed, and you know the proper dosage (ie. vet visit).

As for the itchiness, I know they're not as common out here in the east, but have you considered getting a humidifier? Almost everyone has them in the prairies, and it really helps with both human and animal skin itchiness in the winter. Also, if its really windy out, that can dry out the skin, does your pap. wear a coat when you go out in the cold? That should probably help a bit.
Good luck

papillonmama
November 12th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Thanks everyone for input,
I'm going to try her wearing a coat everytime we go out, I'm also going to try this supplement I keep hearing about, The missing link, we'll see how if it's any better in a few weeks.
:)

Kona1
November 12th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Can I suggest trying 100% Aloe Vera gel. You can get it at Wal-Mart. My dog is probably more severe as she as allergies, but over the last week I have been putting it on and it has given her relief. You do have to put a t-shirt on though as my tends to lick it off.

What is this missing link supplement. Never heard of it. Where do you get it? I will have to do some research. Wondering if it would be good for allergies.:ca: