Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

gaining weight winter?

raingirl
November 9th, 2005, 01:35 PM
I was looking at Odin last night and he was looking a little thin I thought. I know we were feeding him a little less in the summer as we were told that due to the heat, they don't need as much food.

I totally didn't even think of increasing it for the winter though! He is getting 3/4 cup twice a day of Natural Balance Duck and POtato. Plus he is getting sea meal supplement, fish oil capsules, and some probiotics with each meal.

We also add some "toppers" to his foodmost days, sometimes a few spoonfulls of wet food, sometimes some baby food, sometimes cooked veggies. He also gets canned food periodically. And we put about a cup of food in his puzzle ball a few times a week.

Should we up his food to 1 cup each day then? When we got him he was getting two cups, twice a day of Eagle pack. The feeding instructions on the Natural balance are less though. We don't want him to gain more than a pound or two...but because we don't know his age, he could be younger than we think and still growing. Should we just feed a little more and if he starts to get too heavy, decrease it?

BMDLuver
November 9th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Should we just feed a little more and if he starts to get too heavy, decrease it?
yeppers! :)

jawert1
November 9th, 2005, 02:32 PM
I go by palpating ribs on both Peach and Simon and do tend to increase food from 1 cup per feeding (2x day) to 1.5 cups per feeding (2x day) for both come winter. Peach packs on the pounds MUCH easier than Simon (think it's cuz he's a Pointer), so I keep weekly tabs on how easy it is to feel ribs and work from there :)

raingirl
November 9th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Thanks!

I guess I was a little concerned when yesterday I could see a few of his ribs outlined.

I was worried when he hit 57 lbs and he was looking a little chubby, so maybe we were feeding him too little. He is still very "svelt" for a bulldog.