Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

doctor tests

raingirl
November 9th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Well, I finally got some bloodwork done to see if I have a thyroid problem or possible diabetes. I also had an ultrasound done of my throat area as I have been having problems with..well, it feels like something in my neck is poking into my trachea. Happened a couple of times over the last few months where I yawn or stretch and my throat spasms and something jabs me in the neck/throat. I can feel it now when I swallow, talk, stretch, yawn, or sing.

Went to the doc. She did blood tests and such, and all came back normal.

I don't know what to do as I know something is there. Something doesn't feel right. She thought maybe my thyroid was enlarged, but in ultrasound they didn't think it was. She also thought maybe it was the glands behind the thyroid but they were fine too.

I also feel exhausted all the time, have trouble concentrating, heart beating fast, always cold, and hungry all the time.

I love my doc and she has been great so far. She has no suggestions as where to proceed from here though. I'm due for a physical in December/January so she said if they are still there then, maybe she will suggest seeing an ENT and/or Endocrinologist. Well, I've had all those symptoms for years, so obviously they aren't going away. Only the lump in the throat thing is new.

I guess it's good it came back ok/normal, but I was hoping they would find something that would make me feel better. Or am I just doomed to feel like crap for the rest of my life? I tried to lose weight for years. I even had a trainer for months and he was baffled why the weight didn't come off (my weight would fluctuate, but never stay off), and he said the only explaination was a medical reason/problem, yet my doc can't find anything.

I feel releived they didn't find a tumour or anything...but something is still there. I'm not imagining it.

Luba
November 9th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Consider seeing a naturopath dear .... it could be a food allergy or vitamin defficiency to some degree. If you can I'd give it a whirl!

raingirl
November 9th, 2005, 11:43 AM
I did....many years ago. What I was given didn't help. He thought maybe I had a wheat intolerance/allergy, but when I went off it for a while, there was no improvement.

Luba
November 9th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Maybe it was who you went to and what tests were available then..many years ago things were much different then they are now.

I'd give it another try , if you are in the Toronto area I can recommend someone, PM me!

raingirl
November 9th, 2005, 02:11 PM
I work in Toronto, but live in Brampton. I'll PM you and see if it's anywhere I can get to.

shannonRN
November 9th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Have they ever directly visualized the area with a laryngoscope? This sounds like the obvious first step to me regarding the lump in the throat sensation, but I'm not a doctor either.

I think I remember from nursing school that some women can be classified as normothyroid b/c of low-normal lab values but still present clinically as hypothyroid; however the diagnosis is overlooked and often depression is suspected. If you really feel strongly about this I would suggest an endocrinologist.

Luba
November 9th, 2005, 09:41 PM
I'll dig up the card sometime between today and tomorrow okay :D and send the info to you PM

Also there is a MD who even if he's not taking new patients can refer you I really like his non traditional style though he's been raked over the coals for it he's really wonderful. Will pm u that too!!

Prin
November 9th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Sounds like thyroid to me.. Before I was diagnosed, my thyroid spasmed and it made me feel like I was gagging. I also had a resting heart rate well over 100, and my blood pressure shot up to 150/90. Do you have your blood tests? Did you see your results with your own eyes?