Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fat Mouth

raingirl
November 9th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Is it possible to have a "Fat Mouth".

I don't have big cheaks or anything, but I feel like the gums and inside my mouth are fat. My gums are thick and I have a "ridge" where the space between my teeth is, because my gums are so close to my teeth, that I get in impression on the gums when my mouth is closed for a while.

As a result, I get a lot of sores (cankers). I was told the cankers are not related, but I think they are.

I also bite my cheak and inside my lips all the time by accident, and then they get all swollen and I bite them more! It's an endless cycle. I have two long canine teeth that cause a lot of problems as they stick out (I look like a vampire actually).

I must have bit my gums/cheak two nights ago, right near the corner of my mouth on the inside. It stings now constantly when I talk/chew/lick my lips. It's driving me insane!

Anyone else have a "fat mouth"

Rick C
November 9th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Well, I don't know if its possible to have "fat mouth" but I do know that swimming laps on a regular basis - not to the point of fanaticism - can trim your face to a more athletic look pretty quickly. . . . . but it won't alter the genetics of of a wide jaw or whatever your natural look might be.

The canker thing is a bit of a clue, I think, as I get that a bit when I let myself wander from physical fitness and yes, I'd say I get a bit of a fat face. Again, swimming is a fast remedy . . . running or biking takes a bit longer.

My totally uneducated guesses on the matter. . . . .

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

raingirl
November 9th, 2005, 12:52 PM
that's the funny part. I don't have a fat face. It's like my Cheeks are skinny, but just bulge towards my teeth on the inside.

Rick C
November 9th, 2005, 01:51 PM
that's the funny part. I don't have a fat face. It's like my Cheeks are skinny, but just bulge towards my teeth on the inside.

Well, if you want them to bulge outwards, one potential solution is below:

http://www.jokesaround.com/images/pictures/0034.jpg

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Prin
November 9th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Maybe I read wrong, but it sounds like you have a deep bite. Deep bite is where, when you bite down, your bottom teeth are almost completely hidden by your top teeth from a front view.

I have one too, and what my dentist says is that when you chew, particularly when you bite down, your jaw slides back and then when you reopen, your jaw slides forward again. All that can cause clumsiness in your mouth because everything is moving around more than it should. But he told me to fix it requires surgery, so no thanks...

Lucky Rescue
November 9th, 2005, 11:33 PM
Thanks RickC. You just made me laugh out loud!
http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/laugh.gif

raingirl
November 10th, 2005, 07:46 AM
Prin! That's exactly what I mean! When I bite down for my teeth to "meet" my bottom jaw slides back! That explains a whole lot! I definately wouldn't want surgery though!

Prin
November 10th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Yeah, just keep your mouth slightly open all the time and you shouldn't have any trouble (that's the dentist's sarcastic remark when I didn't want the surgery). Down the road though, if you get severe pain from it, you might have no choice. That's why I keep my mouth slightly open.

raingirl
November 10th, 2005, 12:02 PM
I did a little research on it and never knew I had a problem at all! I have been to the dentist all of like 5 times in my life because I've never had cavities or any problems. Maybe I'll mention it when I'm there next. I read that braces can help too.

CyberKitten
November 10th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Might you have TMJ? Do you grind your teeth? If I were you I would ask your
GP to refer you to an otolaryngologist - then you could have the problem diagnosed. Or have your dentist send you to an orthodontist? You mean you don't even see dentists for checkups? (I have dental phobia so see a pediatric dentist friend, lol - but there are some good trends in dentistry, laser therapy for one!)

Prin
November 10th, 2005, 12:06 PM
I did a little research on it and never knew I had a problem at all! I have been to the dentist all of like 5 times in my life because I've never had cavities or any problems. Maybe I'll mention it when I'm there next. I read that braces can help too.
LOL I don't know if braces will help but I know full out head gear would!:D