Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

what extra commands have you taught?

Beetlecat
November 9th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Not counting the basics like sit, stay, heel, off etc. What extra commands have you taught your dog? And why?

I have taught Ky the mushing commands so that I can control him while rollerblading or biking.

Just a few days ago, I have him a longer lead so he could run out in front of me proper, and when I told him 'gee' (right) and 'haw' (left) he performed flawlessly. I was so happy :) As well, he knows 'pick it up' (speed up) and 'slow', 'stop' and 'wait'.

He also knows how to pull open unlatched doors. I taught him that one because I used to have a door which was not level and would close itself. If he barged into the room, the door would close and he wouldn't be able to get out!

And I recently began training him to a silent whistle. Although they aren't 100% yet (we havn't done it enough) he knows the whistle commands for 'sit/stay' and 'come'.

I started this because I want him to always be able to hear me, such as if he runs off or something. And I though it would be cool for him to obey silent commands at dogparks and such. Better than me having to yell and less embarrasing :)

Rottielover
November 9th, 2005, 11:26 AM
I have taught harley to bring, back up, and will soon be teaching him to pull a sled for my daughter in the winter, have to by a harness first

shannonRN
November 9th, 2005, 12:22 PM
We don't have that many 'extra' commands compared to some.

Rommel has learned "back up," a command to keep him from crowding the doorway when you're trying to exit

"Bring it" which applies to the dog dishes--he carries them off somewhere after eating and half the time I can't find them, so I trained a command for it. The other half of the time, he brings them to me without a command to prompt me that it's dinner time. Now that I think of it, I'm not sure who trained who on this one. :rolleyes: Dogs!

"Over" is for play time in the yard--jumping over a hurdle, through a hoop

"Place" is "go lay on the dog bed in the living room because I don't like you getting in the way when I'm cooking"

"Speak" is "bark like mad because mommy heard something go bump in the night and she's scared"

Something I always thought was neat too is that he's learned the difference between "down" and "lay down"--one is more the obedience command, where he pops right down, and the latter is the "I'm tired of playing tug of war/fetch/you harrassing the cat, so go find a comfortable spot somewhere"

There are more, but....

PetFriendly
November 9th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Charley has a hand signal for good boy (thumbs up) which is really handy because he sometimes breaks a stay when i speak the words but will sit tight if I just signal instead.

We use 'Mind your manners' when we're eating and he's showing too much interest. He also knows 'Get out of the way' and will move from where he is to where I point, 'Drink' means have some water, 'Up' means jump up on what I'm pointing at, and 'Go see Bart' means we're going in the car for along drive to my parents' house.

Roxy's_MA
November 9th, 2005, 01:10 PM
I have been trying to teach Roxy to crawl along the ground. It is going OK. If anyone has any tip how to teach this trick let me know. Other than that she knows the basics sit, down, give five. We are in obedience right now. I have to teach a trick on my own by the end of the six weeks, and demonstrate it to the class on the last day. 5 more weeks to go to learn this trick, shouldn't be a problem.

jessi76
November 9th, 2005, 01:15 PM
I have taught harley to bring, back up, and will soon be teaching him to pull a sled for my daughter in the winter, have to by a harness first

LOL... I just had a flashback - my dad did that when I was young. Except my dog saw another dog, and WOOOOSH.... I was flying on the sled, holding on for dear life, with my dad scrambling to catch up....hee hee.

Tucker knows:
take a break - to end a play session
take a bow - just plain cute.
paw - again, just cute.
wait - he will sit and wait - something is going to happen in a minute. more of a momentary "stay". I only use STAY for a more siginificant length of time. I use the WAIT command for going through doorways, when opening the car door, before I throw his ball, etc.
on your blanket - he'll go lay down on his blanket

Lissa
November 9th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Dodger's extra commands are mostly fun one's like:

"Where's Dodger's STRESS?" [Dodger responds with a yawn!]
Paw (and other one)
Bow
Rollover
Circle
Weave
Jump
Gentle/easy
Wait
Bring, hold and take it
Find it ("use Dodger's nose!")
Run
Little speak/big speak
Wave
Catch
Back up
Achoo! (where he gets the kleenex for me!)
Focus
Find Minnow
"On Dodger's chair/bed"
Inside
"Do Dodger's pee" (or poops)

Most of Dodger's extra commands don't have too much use! ;)

We are working on agility and sledding (skijoring) terminology but I guess that's more obedience oriented...

I just realized that I only use hand signals for about 8 of those "fun commands" when he has hand signals for all of his obedience stuff (how odd - I guess I was being lazy!!)

Training with a silent whistle is such a great idea!!!

Puppyluv
November 9th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Layla's are pretty basic. She knows the "name" of every toy, and will go find each one when I ask for them, i just say "Layla, where's your ____?" and she goes and finds it and brings it to me.
She can also crawl on her belly, shake a paw, shake her other paw (different commands), roll over, and go into a coma (play dead, but we don't call it that)

PetFriendly
November 9th, 2005, 04:22 PM
I have been trying to teach Roxy to crawl along the ground. It is going OK. If anyone has any tip how to teach this trick let me know.

You can either put her in a down and drag the treat along the floor, or 'build' something akin to a coffee table that she can't stand up under and thus has to crawl (Actual coffee tables work for the bigger dogs but yours is a JRT I think so you might have to improvise)

Beetlecat
November 9th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Ky also knows 'go find ____' or 'where's your ____'

I did that so that he would go get his tennis ball if he dropped it while playing fetch. Since then, it's an all purpose retrieve command and I'm slowly teaching him names of objects.

If I tell him to find something that he doesn't know the name yet, he'll just bring me random objects until he finally gets it right :D Or he'll bring me the same object over and over until I tell him to knock if off.

And since I often pad around the house in my bare feet, I was getting him to bring me my socks before going for a walk.

PetFriendly
November 9th, 2005, 06:21 PM
I just remembered Charley's new word: Wrong

I use it when we are training and he doesn't do the correct thing (ie I say STAND and he does a DOWN). I'm hoping that this way he knows to keep trying until he gets it correct, instead of No which I use when I just want him to full out stop (permanently) what he's doing (NO, get out of the garbage)

Roxy's_MA
November 9th, 2005, 06:24 PM
You can either put her in a down and drag the treat along the floor, or 'build' something akin to a coffee table that she can't stand up under and thus has to crawl (Actual coffee tables work for the bigger dogs but yours is a JRT I think so you might have to improvise)

Thanks, I have been trying the drag a treat on the ground thing. It seems to be working, but she will only move a few inches. I think I will have to find something around home that she will have to crawl under.

Puppyluv
November 9th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Roxy's Ma- I used the "drag the treat" method too. Actually, I used a toy, not a treat, and slowly built up the distance, by the time I stopped using a toy, she would scoot about 10 feet to get to it, now without a toy, she scoots about 5 feet before getting bored.

Byrd
November 9th, 2005, 09:14 PM
One of the main ones is "hit it" so that she will hit the flyball box, and "over" to go over the jump.

She also knows many tricks.

Prin
November 9th, 2005, 11:12 PM
I posted all the words my doggies know in another thread (it's a long list and I'm too lazy to rewrite it..)

Post #3 here: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=16417&highlight=whisper

shannon1233A
November 10th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Shannon knows a lot of out of the ordinary commands, but her favorite is "Find It". She knows all her toys by name, so I'll pick one, take her to the kitchen and make her sit & stay, wait. She then knows we're going to play. I take the toy I've shown her back into the living room, bedroom upstairs or wherever and hide it where it can't be seen eg. under a sofa cushion, under the blankets on the bed etc. I'll come back to my chair and call her to "Find It" and name the toy. She'll look high and low, sniffing everything, starting with the outside walls of everyroom and working her way to the center, checking under every cushion, piece of furniture etc. until she finds that particular toy. If it's not on the first level she'll go upstairs and never gives up until she's found it and brought it to me.

She also plays hide and seek with the grandchildren who she also knows by name. She'll sit while I count and one of them go and hide, then I'll tell her to go find "Chloe". Again, she'll seek them out. Once my granddaughter hid in my closet (folding doors), and wouldn't come out until Shannon tagged her (3 yrs old), so my closet doors have the scratch marks as Shannon wouldn't give up til she came out, lol
Being a GSD, we've always tried to keep her mind active and give her challenges.

papillonmama
November 10th, 2005, 06:24 PM
I was able to teach both Dory the papi and Trigger the pitti to "come around", so that when I was walking them down the street they would come to me instead of all of us dancing around the poles together.
Trigger also learned to say "mama". I was very proud of teaching him that one.
Aside from that Dory can dance, something that was more nature than taught.:angel:

JJC
November 10th, 2005, 09:38 PM
I was thinking about this the other day. So far Tosa knows:

stay, different than wait- she holds her position 'till I come back to her and release her.
Wait-holds her position 'till I release her to her frisbee or ball or I call her to me
All done-release command
shake-left paw
other paw-right paw
hold still-used when grooming or toweling her off after coming inside from the rain.
ring the bell-rings the bell on the door when she needs outside.
leave it
Bus or Truck-depending on what vehicle were going in.
go potty
up-for jumping up into the truck or Bus.
find-frisbee, ball, rope.
bring-for bringing toys to me.
drop-release anything in her mouth.
out-if I want her out of a room or area.
move-with a point in what direction I want her to go if I am walking toward her.
off-off furniture etc.
crate-when I want her to go into her crate.
bed-for when I want her to go lay down on her bed.
go night-night-when it's time to go to bed.
down-when she starts to jump up.
drink-when I want her to drink water.
thats enough-for barking or when I want to quit play.

I think that's all. She's not 100% on all of them but she's a work in progress.:)

Puppyluv
November 10th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Oh I thought of Layla's most useful command. It's "Fix it". If she gets tied up in her leash (no matter how badly) if i tell her to "fix it" she does this little step dance and completely untangles herself. Which means no bending over and spilling my steamed milk everywhere to fix it :D

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 15th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Joey just learned shake a paw, I am exstatic (sp). :crazy: I kept saying Joey shake, and tapping behind his front paw and he did, then he did it again, and again. He seems to switch back and forth between his front paws. I guess he must be ambedexrous. :D

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 15th, 2005, 09:48 PM
Puppyluv Oh I thought of Layla's most useful command. It's "Fix it". If she gets tied up in her leash (no matter how badly) if i tell her to "fix it" she does this little step dance and completely untangles herself. Which means no bending over and spilling my steamed milk everywhere to fix it

thats a good useful trick. I need to untangle Joey about every 5 feet.:D

meb999
November 15th, 2005, 11:32 PM
Buster's are pretty simple stuff:
Give paw and other paw (just plain cute!)
roll over -- again just cute :-)
clean your feet (when we come from outside, I say this and he stands still and gives me one paw at a time -- including the back paws -- to let me clean them off with a towel!)
go away (when he gets a little too interested in our food during meal time)
go to bed (he runs into his crate and waits for his kong w/ peanut butter!)
leave it -- the best command I've ever taught him!
find your ---- he knows pretty much all the names of his toys and will bring you the right one!