Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

frusterated

raingirl
November 9th, 2005, 08:55 AM
I was wondering if there is anything I can do about this...or maybe it's just a rant, I don't know.

My BF's boss has a 21 year old cat. Just so you know, my BF works in the home of the owner of the business, where the two owners of the business live upstairs, and run the business downstairs. So the cat is on the premises where he works.

Anyway, this cat has been very sick for the last few months, and his boss refuses to put her down. The cat has been to the vet, and he just gives her meds and such, but hasn't suggested putting her down. The cat has had several strokes, two this last weekend, and one yesterday, can't really walk (legs are deformed and no strength), can't groom itself, can't feed itself, and the skin is peeling off her nose.

This cat has no quality of life and it sickens my BF to go to work everyday and see it like that. His boss is a basketcase because of it. As an employee, he doesn't think it is his place to talk to her about it and suggest that the cat be put down, but at this point it's the only option I would think.

Is this considered cruelty to animals?? What options are there?

BMDLuver
November 9th, 2005, 09:13 AM
Perhaps your boyfriend could give this to his employer and say I know it's very difficult for both of you right now but just think about this:

The Last Battle
If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close -- we two -- these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

-- Unknown

Lucky Rescue
November 9th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Is this considered cruelty to animals??

To allow an animal to suffer and do nothing to relieve or end the suffering would be considered neglect and probably cruelty too.

shannonRN
November 9th, 2005, 05:43 PM
I guess you could blow him in to the SPCA or some other agency responsible for cruelty/neglect cases. :confused: But I think it would be hard to prove grounds for either cruelty or neglect, since you said he takes the cat to the vet and obtains medications.

JessXx
November 9th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Its always hard to put down a beloved pet, but please step in here, I dont want to say it, and I never want to think of it, but yes, this cat should be put down.
I hate the sound of it but its better that way.
Please step in...

CyberKitten
November 9th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Can your bf not just broach the subject with his boss? Ask him how his cat is and so forth? Would not honesty be the best policy here?

raingirl
November 10th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Spoke with my BF when we got home from work yesterday. Aparently they took the cat to the emergency vet overnight and it died on it's own. Well...at least it's no longer in pain. Aparently his boss was devestated and cried all day long. She has had this cat since she was 20 and she is 42 now. This was her only pet and she has no kids, and is not married.

CyberKitten
November 10th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Awww!! WEll at least the cat had a good home and at a geriatric 21, a long life for a kitty! Did your bf tell her about Rainbow Bridge? (It always surprises me how many ppl don't know about the Bridge - I admittedly did not till my rabbit died a few yrs ago and my vet told me about it).

raingirl
November 10th, 2005, 11:55 AM
To tell you the truth I have no idea what the Rainbow Brige is. I see it mentioned here...but since I've never had a pet that died, I just kinda ignored the phrase.

JessXx
November 13th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Rainbow Bridge is the place where cats dogs and other animals go when they pass on. kinda like heaven-