Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Nostril sore/pink?

shannonRN
November 9th, 2005, 04:45 AM
Okay, I'm freaking out because my dog who has never had a health problem in his life is now having little things pop up since changing his food...

Please look at these pics and tell me what you think. I noticed tonight (this morning really) that the edge of his right nostril looked a little pink, it's not actually open or anything, just a really light pink spot on his normally black nose. Just to be sure, I checked through my photos for close ups of his nose at an earlier time and his nose just looks black.

Before...taken about a month ago (that's peanut butter, BTW)

shannonRN
November 9th, 2005, 04:55 AM
This is what his poor nose looks like now...

shannonRN
November 9th, 2005, 05:03 AM
Is this the sort of thing you'd see with a dietary sensitivity? He's not doing any itching and doesn't seem bothered by his nose. Neither of us could think of any specific way he might have hurt it though and he hasn't done any chewing out of the ordinary or anything else that we can think of.

K9Friend
November 9th, 2005, 05:25 AM
Don't panic yet. He may just have bumped it into something playing hard. My dog is constantly getting little nicks in her nose from rough play. Wait a couple of more days before rushing off to a vet.

Prin
November 9th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Do you have plastic bowls? Some plastic bowls (not all) have a chemical that kills the pigments in the nose. If it is bowls, when you change them, the pigment comes back slowly.

shannonRN
November 9th, 2005, 11:53 PM
Hey, now I see he did have a little pinkness visible in that one nostril in other pics taken from the right angles. Now of course I can't look at him without seeing it so I can't imagine that it has been this pronounced in the past.

I'm paranoid about the food change! He peed on the floor once since we switched him, so I brought a urine sample to the vet and he said the UA was perfectly normal, didn't feel there was any evidence that we should worry about it further unless other symptoms pop up. So of course I'm watching him like a hawk because I'm worried he could be sick, or that the food isn't the right one for him....

Hopefully this is just a false alarm. We do use plastic though; could it really make a difference after using the same dishes for all these years?

lm9012
December 2nd, 2005, 04:02 PM
I've read that plastic bowls aren't the best thing to use for your dog. Vets, even the shelter I got him from told us stainless steel is best. Something about the plastic harboring bacteria.
Who knows what to believe anymore, but we bought him stainless steel bowls anyway. They look great. I'm adamant about washing them everyday, even between meals sometimes. Also, one added bonus is if by chance he finishes his water before I notice, he can clank on it with his claws to let me know he needs a refill! It's adorable! He looks at us like he's saying "helloooo, the king needs some water here!!!" :king:

Prin
December 2nd, 2005, 04:15 PM
Any bowl with cracks or deep scratches will harbor bacteria, regardless of what it's made of, but if you keep them dry and relatively clean, (dry is the most important) then the bacteria will be minimal. Anybody feeding raw should wash their bowls thoroughly after each feeding...

Jemma has a metal bowl and Boo has plastic. Boo throws his bowl around when he's hungry, so we'd all end up with migraines if he had a metal one... Jemma refuses to touch anything that has been in a plastic bowl (snob).

jessi76
December 2nd, 2005, 04:17 PM
I would first switch to stainless steel bowls, asap. Plastic can definately harbor bacteria - if there are any nicks/scratches/chew marks in the plastic bowls, food particles get in, bacteria grows, and viola - you have bacteria-bowls.

If I saw that on my dog's nose, I'd probably call the vet for advice. sorry I don't know what it could be, I hope it clears up quickly though!

Edited to add: I'm a moron and didn't notice the post date! I hope it's cleared up by now.

Prin
December 2nd, 2005, 04:20 PM
See, Jemma's stainless bowl is still scratched at least as much, if not more than Boo's plastic one... I don't know...

jessi76
December 2nd, 2005, 04:23 PM
See, Jemma's stainless bowl is still scratched at least as much, if not more than Boo's plastic one... I don't know...

so jemma takes out some of that PMS on her bowl? ;)

Prin
December 2nd, 2005, 04:26 PM
LOL PMS bacteria? I wonder when the pharma companies are gonna put out an antibiotic to kill it...:D

Oh, wait. You mean she gets rough with her bowl because of the PMS? No, not really. Jemma eats with her teeth (she doesn't use her tongue or anything, she just scrapes the bottom with her teethies...) and somehow that scratches it up..

jawert1
December 2nd, 2005, 04:26 PM
I'm with Prin on this one, both Simon and Peaches' bowls are scratched in a big way (both metal). The best part tho with those is that I can stick em right in the dishwasher (and do regularly) so maybe that's the key to the bacteria problem? Either way, a dear friend of mine had a dog that ate the recycling (they took her to the vet's the first 8 times she did this - and lived happy and healthy - said she was half goat) and her nose would turn BRIGHT pink after she'd finished, then go back to normal colour in a day or so. Perhaps he's getting into something that's making it more noticeable but not terribly bothersome? Is it still going on?