Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Teachers??

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 8th, 2005, 10:31 PM
Last year my son had an awesome grade one teacher, she did really well in communicating with us, she made everything very structured and my son did really well. This year he has a new grade two teacher and I am not so sure.
It seems there is a real lack of communication from the teacher to the kids. There are never any notes home as to what is going on. My son comes home with scraps of paper with words on them which I assume are his spelling words, but my son doesnt know when the tests are. Nor are there any notes of when they are having the tests.I went and talked to his teacher today apparently they are having a big test on Thursday of all the words they have had so far. Had I had not talked to her I wouldnt have known about the test. I don't know if she expects my son to remember what he needs to do with no further reminders from his teacher. My son wont remember, he forgets stuff, all the time. He does well with structure and there doesnt seem to that in his class. Should I talk to his teacher about this and maybe see if there is a way that the communication would be better between us, his teacher and my son.

Also last year my son had a teachers aid to help him with his speech. I mentioned it a few times to his teacher but still no one is helping him with this at school.

Prin
November 8th, 2005, 11:32 PM
I think your son's teacher sucks, frankly... How does your son feel about her?

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 8th, 2005, 11:36 PM
We asked him and he said that he liked her. But he pretty much likes everybody.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 8th, 2005, 11:39 PM
I am wondering if I should try to transfer him to the other class. His former teacher is doing a grade one /two split. There is way more kids in the class or have a talk with his teacher and let her know my concerns. I feel I need to do something or I feel he is going to get behind.

Prin
November 9th, 2005, 12:11 AM
My elementary school had split classes too. I wouldn't have had it any other way.:)

CyberKitten
November 9th, 2005, 07:30 AM
If I were you, I would talk to either the principal of the school or the student services person for the school district. Esp is he needs speech help! And if that does not help, contact your school board rep - having been a school trustee, I have fieded many of those types of concerns from parents! Good luck!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 9th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Thanks Cyberkitten I want to go about this in the right way. I dont necessarily think he needs a new teacher, because when he does to work in her class he does well. I just need more structure for him. Not sure if other parents feel the same way.
She does some other things too that have me concerned. One is she lets them all share lunches. So they put all their lunches in this communal box and then they take what they want. My son always just puts his lunch in the box take nothing out and then goes out to play. Then he comes home his lunch is gone and hes had nothing. He finally confessed what was happening after we said we were so proud that he was eating his lunch. My son doesn't have allergies but thats what immediatley popped into my mind when I heard what was going on. Now he is eating his own lunch (hopefully) we told him not to share with the other kids.

CyberKitten
November 9th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Yikes! That does seem unusual and I would be concened about allergies as well. Is she new or young? I wonder if the principal knows abot this - I am assuming this is in a public school district? I don't think that would be allowed in most schools where often teachers have lunch hour off and principals and vice principals monitor lunch hr (in elementary schools). My mom - who was a principal of the largest elementary school in NB before she became a Supervisor of Student Services and later a superintendent - now can barely eat certain things (like peannt butter,lol) after lunch hour supervision! But while sharing cannot be avoided, most teachers are careful to monitor because of allergies and other reasons. I really would talk to someone senior if I were you, starting with the principal. Is there a Home and School Assn (or PTA)? Talk to other parents and see what they think too. You may not be the only one with concerns.

Good luck - I better get back to work - my break is over, sigh!

jessi76
November 9th, 2005, 09:05 AM
CK is right, go over her head. I would first talk to other parents of kids in the same class to see if there is a majority of you with the same concerns, then take those to the teacher's supervisor. (principle, school board, etc...)

Sharing lunches? Unacceptable in my book. First things that came to mind were allergies, medical issues, and specific nutrional needs. That's not right.

Luvmypit
November 9th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Not to mention the fact that some parents and I mean some strive to make healthy lunches for their kids then they get the option of choosing a way better lunch that may not be healthy. Not to mention whether some parents prepare their lunches in sanitary conditions. I don't know these families and wouldn't feel comfortable having my child eat lunch that another parent made. I don't what they put in it or how they made it.

Doesn't sound like a very good idea in my books and as a parent I wouldn't be happy with it.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 9th, 2005, 11:55 AM
LuvmypitNot to mention the fact that some parents and I mean some strive to make healthy lunches for their kids then they get the option of choosing a way better lunch that may not be healthy. Not to mention whether some parents prepare their lunches in sanitary conditions. I don't know these families and wouldn't feel comfortable having my child eat lunch that another parent made. I don't what they put in it or how they made it.

thats exactly how I felt about it.

free
November 9th, 2005, 12:19 PM
first talk to the teacher and tell her you want her to make sure all homework is written down daily and for both of you to sign off on. if the school has a special education teacher talk to her about your concerns. she should act as your liason . when my youngest was in elementary school i asked around about the teachers and put in requests as to who i wanted as my daughter had minor learning problems and i knew what would be best for her. you are your kids best advocate even in the public system. you just might have to be a little bit more outspoken.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 9th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Grrr. I am slightly irritated now. My sons test of all the words he has learned since the beginning of the year is tommorow. The teacher officially put the note in his backpack (today) the day before. Tonight we need to make sure my son knows about 100 words. If we had some notice then it would have been more managable and we could have practiced 10 or so words a day. But this is overwhelming for me and my son. Luckily we officially knew yesterday so we have been practicing his words.

I think she has a lot of nerve telling the parents the night before your seven year old needs to know how to spell a hundred or so words. :mad: