Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog hair loss

candance
September 14th, 2003, 11:06 AM
I have a 10 yr old dog who has some kind of skin infection or something. I noticed a small circle of hair missing on his back and when looking closer there was a "bubble" of puss - green colored. The hair started coming out all around it and the spot then had little blood spots where I guess the hair follicle came out. The the puss spots would turn dark and dry up but it is spreading. He has developed two new spots - one on his right front chest and one on his back left leg. He had fleas really bad about 2 months ago so I got rid of them and put him on the liquid preventative that you put on his back. This spot is not anywhere near that though. The dog is a mixed breed - possibly wild african dog and pit bull. He looks like he has some boxer also.

Carina
September 14th, 2003, 06:23 PM
There are about a zillion things that can cause skin lesions and hair loss - various allergies, fleas, mites...a dog with bad flea allergies can be bothered by a single bite for weeks. Is he scartching and trying to get to these spots, or do they nnot bother him?

Sounding like a broken record here - but I'd say your vet needs to take a look.

candance
September 14th, 2003, 08:18 PM
I took my dog to the vet because he was losing weight and weak - stumbling some when he got up to walk. The vet did some tests and the results showed renal failure. That has been over 2 weeks ago and the hair loss started right before I took him to the vet. Barney (my dog) seems to be doing better as far as the weakness and stumbling. He eats if it is something halfway appetizing and he drinks alot of water but always has done that.
This is really weird on his skin because it looks like the skin is a lime green color right under the skin and then it bubbles up and then turns a brown in little bubbles. There is also some puss that comes up in there. I took him back to the vet and they shaved the two places to show what was going on better and also took a sample of his hair to culture to see if it was a ringworm type thing.
The vet hasn't called me back on this and I keep leaving messages to try to find out the outcome of the test. The place on his back is still spreading and he now has a spot starting on his back leg. I wondered if it could be something that got up under his skin or if it has something to do with the kidney failure or the fleas or what????