Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Joey is going for show and tell.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 8th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Tommorow I am taking Joey for show and tell to my kids school. My kids have been begging me to take him. Because of his growling issue with my son. I have decided its best not to let the kids pet him. I just dont want to take a chance with someone elses kid. Even though we are working on the issue at home and it is improving. Instead my son and I are practicing a few of Joeys tricks. Sit, stay down and come. My son will give a little obedience demonstration for the class and he can tell them about Joey.

Prin
November 8th, 2005, 10:05 PM
I brought my dobie for show and tell in grade 6... He escaped and took off down the hall (he would run away if he ever got loose). My dobie was a show dog and was the sweetest, absolute most sociable with humans ever.

The only thing I would be careful of is if it's too loud or too long, Joey might get anxious...

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 8th, 2005, 10:08 PM
I am estimating less then five minutes. He will be on a leash at all times and I will make sure the door is closed. I think sometimes maybe I am a bit paranoid about Joey growling, which I know doesnt help the situation but I would be devastaed if something happened. I just dont want to take a chance.

Prin
November 8th, 2005, 10:17 PM
If anybody wants to pet him, you hold his head firmly but comfortably and let them pet his back. Just a thought. (It's what I do with Boo when kids are afraid of dogs- they're usually just afraid of the face).

CyberKitten
November 8th, 2005, 10:19 PM
My advice - before you take him into a group of young children, some of whom will be afraid of dogs, is to try him out in a large group with children somewhere. Not sure where that could be but I am a little concerned about taking a dog into a situation in which he is unfamiliar - unless of course he has already done this and is good at it. I only brought YY to work - and she is a sweetheart with kids- after she completed training to become a therapy cat. I realize this is only for 5 minutes but it only takes a few minutes for something to happen. The other thing is to ask the teacher about children with allergies. I say this because I was asked by a kindergarten teacher to bring my bunny - who was great with kids - to bring him to school so children could see a real live bunny (It is surprising to those of us used to animals all our lives to discover how many children - and ppl - fear them or have serious allergies). He did get to see only those kids who had a permission slip from mom and dad or guardian, given allergies and other concerns by parents so I am guessing the teacher has already done that. It is kind of sad these days that the things we took for granted when we are in school are often no longer done because of school district fears of lawsuits 0 and I have to say having been a school trustee, it is more than a fear. Parents sue for so much now! I am sure it'll go well but just make sure Joey is not spooked by crowds or kids he does not know. It's hard to believe any child would not love a cute and cuddly cocker spaniel but there are some who do.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 8th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Prin=If anybody wants to pet him, you hold his head firmly but comfortably and let them pet his back. Just a thought. (It's what I do with Boo when kids are afraid of dogs- they're usually just afraid of the face
thats an excellent idea.
Cyberkitten=
My advice - before you take him into a group of young children, some of whom will be afraid of dogs, is to try him out in a large group with children somewhere. Not sure where that could be but I am a little concerned about taking a dog into a situation in which he is unfamiliar - unless of course he has already done this and is good at it.

I take Joey everyday to pick up the kids and wait outside with him while all the kids are running around us. So far he has been great. If someone asks to pet him I tell him they must make him sit first then they are allowed to pet him.

Also I would assume the kids that don't like or are afraid of dogs wouldn't want to pet Joey. I am not sure whether I should hold his head like Prin suggested or just keep it short. 18 kids wanting to pet Joey just may bit a bit overhwhelming so I am leaning towards keeping it short and sweet.

CyberKitten
November 9th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Yeah, 18 kids may be too much for Joey so keeping it short sounds good. It's great that he is used to the school kids already!! That's a good sign! For some reason (love of animals maybe), one of my fonded recollections is a clasmate bringing his pet racoon to shcool - with the teacher's permission of course - and he showing him off. In a way, I was happy for the kid to get attention since he was an unassuming kid who you hardly knew was there. The racoon gave me him something to identify with others and I am guessing in retrospect the teacher saw that?

twodogsandacat
November 9th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Just my two cents. Personally I think it is unfair to Joey to test him in those circumstances. It doesn't take only a minute for something to happen it takes only a second. Then he's permanently labelled. Kids swarm even when they are told not too.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 9th, 2005, 10:20 AM
Just my two cents. Personally I think it is unfair to Joey to test him in those circumstances. It doesn't take only a minute for something to happen it takes only a second. Then he's permanently labelled. Kids swarm even when they are told not too.

I know I have been telling my kids no to this all year.I finally agreed after talking to his teacher, if I told my son no now he will be devastated. I am going to the school first to set the expectation. My son will get Joey do to a few tricks with the kids sitting, he will be on his leash, with me there as well. None of the kids will be allowed to pet Joey as I think that would be to overwhelming for him. Then he can answer questions about Joey and we will be gone.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 9th, 2005, 01:05 PM
We just got back from Joeys show and tell. He ended up going to both my sons classes.
First he went to my youngers sons kindergarten class.I made Joey sit and stay before he went into the classroom. They were all sitting in this small theatre type room just off the classroom on some seat style stairs. My son made Joey sit, stay and lay down. Then my son told the class about Joey. "He's a champion, and hes from Laska." Joey wanted to go join the kids and had his little tail wagging. But just to stay on the safe side I still didnt let any of the kids pet Joey.

Then we went to my other sons class, all the kids were sitting in the classroom. Joey did sit stay again before entering this classroom. My son made Joey do his routine sit, stay, down and come. Then Joey sat in the middle and my older son told the kids about Joey and answered lots of question. A lot of the kids including the teacher thought that Joey was still a puppy and were surprised that he was actually six. Joey was excited to see these kids too and seemed to want to play with them. Again I still didnt let them pet Joey just for the fact I thought it might be a bit much for Joey.

Anyways the overall visit went very well IMO. :p

Rottielover
November 9th, 2005, 01:09 PM
I am so glad all went well.

twodogsandacat
November 9th, 2005, 05:10 PM
I'm also glad it went well but now days err on the side of caution - which may be detrimental to my dogs. Kids scare the bejesus out of me.

I was once swarmed by three young girls as I brought my two dogs out of the back of the truck. They were promptly told to sit and then I asked the girls to not try and kiss my dogs or put their faces in their faces I was told by the oldest girl that her Dad said they 'need to get to their level'. I quickly left. Thank god I have angels.

Another time in PetSmart a child holding onto Mom's hand stuck his other hand in my dogs face as we passed and was promptly licked. The child then said something along the lines of 'Mommy doggy bit me' and I was all set to defend my dog when the Father from behind said 'no the doggy licked you'.

Still I'm glad it all went well for you.

doggy lover
November 9th, 2005, 08:29 PM
I use to take my last dog to meet my kids, and kids would climb all over him. One day he was lying down and 5 kids were stroking and lying on him then he decided to get up, it wasn't until then that they relized how big he was. They just stood there with their mouths open. Trav wieghed 120lbs and was about 6 feet long when he streched out. He could stand on his back legs and put his front ones on my shoulder and look into my face. He was a big softie though.

Prin
November 9th, 2005, 11:09 PM
I'm glad it went well.:) Yey Joey!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 9th, 2005, 11:14 PM
Thanks, I think my hubby was a bit miffed that I didnt let all the kids pet Joey. He seemed comfortable in the situation so I think it would have been okay. But the thought of 38 kids wanting to pet Joey just seemed a bit over whelming and it would have taken us twice as long too.