Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Watering your Dog

Vegas0919
November 8th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Good Day!

I am curious to know how much water a dog should drink when you take it for a walk and what different ways people give their dogs water during a walk or play session away from home...I guess it all depends on the size of the dog, age and duration of exercise time, but I'm just really looking for "in general" responses or personal, anecdotal replies.

Any feedback on this matter would be greatly appreciated!:D

Thanks!

raingirl
November 8th, 2005, 01:00 PM
We have a bulldog so he has an underbite that catches water from a waterbottle very easily. We just start pouring and he drinks it. No bowl or anything.

We take water on all our walks as bulldog can overheat easily. He knows the command "water" so if he's thirsty when we say "water" he will stop eagerly and wait. If he isn't, he just keeps walking. It's quite cute actually.

Copper'sMom
November 8th, 2005, 01:01 PM
I carry a knapsack around for my dogs! If I know I will be somewhere without running water, I pack bottled water and bowls to take with me. When I think they need a drink, I offer it but they only drink it when they want so I carry extra water to make up for what I dump out! Sometimes I carry a funnel to pour the water back in the bottle!:crazy:

jessi76
November 8th, 2005, 01:06 PM
unless we're out walking the yard before bed, my pup can drink as much as he needs, whenever he needs it.

I bring water with me if we go out for play dates, to puppy school, or long nature walks. (I don't bring water if we're just going for a short walk.) I use a nylon foldup bowl (fits in my pocket when folded up) - and bring about 1-2 bottles of water for us. Sometimes he drinks half a bottle, sometimes a sip. Really depends on the level of activity.

melanie
November 8th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Good day to you,:D

i run my dog each morning, (germ shep cross) she does not drink during her run, only when she gets home. we do it about 6am so even in the hot aussie sun she does not need water at that time.

if i take her for a walk during the day time i always carry water for myself so she gets a bit of that. i have a neat fold up dog bowl (mentioned above) that rolls into a small bundle and it has a belt clip on it, it cost $2 at the cheap shops and ive had it for years. i use that always, i also use it for our long drives. on long drives i take a good litre for her esp in summer.

and if worse comes to worse and i forget everything, i will buy a bottle of water and get a take away coffee cup and she happily drinks out of that. :D

hope we have helped....

PetFriendly
November 8th, 2005, 03:18 PM
I have a water bottle for dogs that I bought at the pet store, Its the size of a regular water bottle with a fold out flap type thing for the dog to drink out of. It holds about a half littre of water and has a belt clip.

Charley knows the command 'drink' and will stop walking and sit if he's thirsty, otherwise he'll keep going. Now that its cold he does want a drink at all (we walk fast for about 40 minutes and he's only 11 lbs).

In a pinch he's also drink from a stream of water from a regular bottle or a tap or a hose (under bite too!)

melanie
November 8th, 2005, 03:29 PM
just a tip, when walking as dog in hot or warm weather, to tell if their over heating test their temperature on thier head.

lay your hand on the top of thier head and feel the heat, if its hot to touch get in the shade and water straight away, but be sure not to water too much as it can make an overheated dog sick, i find if my girl is like this i wet her head and sit in the shade for a minute then give a drink, it tends to cool her better and she doesnt get sick....

doggy lover
November 8th, 2005, 07:54 PM
I have a folding bowl for Tucker and if no running water around I carry a water bottle, for walks that last about an hour or so, if longer I take more. It depends on the weather too, the hotter the more water. In the winter he just chews on the snow as he goes along.