Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy ALMOST has the paper training down, advice please

Jenmlf
November 8th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Before trying kitty litter I paper trained but decided that we are using a lot of paper which is why I wanted to switch... Anyway on to this problem...

Almost every time my puppy has to pee he goes on the paper like he should, however, when he has to do #2, he does it in the hall or somewhere else. I later go around the corner and notice a little present left for me. I never punish him for something I don't see him doing so what should I do? How do I teach him that everything should be done in the same place? Like I said, I am trying to litter train him but also so you know I have the litter box as well as paper in 2 other rooms in my condo. Any help and guidence in this matter would be great.

Thank you so much!
Jen

loveyadogs
November 9th, 2005, 09:22 AM
i have the same thing! pee on paper and #2 around the corner, all fine till I stepped in it last night!:thumbs up :thumbs up

Daizy
November 9th, 2005, 10:37 AM
My dog does the same thing, even though she has two paper area's in seperate rooms. Haven't the foggiest how to correct it ... but I'm certainly not going down 4 floors in the middle of the night so she can do #2 outside.

SnowDancer
November 9th, 2005, 11:35 AM
My dog as well. But to tell you the absolute horrible truth, I prefer this to the alternative. Much easier to clean up. I had the opposite problem with another dog.

Gripenfelter
November 9th, 2005, 11:39 AM
I've never understood why people paper train.

I crate trained my pup and trained him to poop and pee outside within 3 days.

When they wake up from a nap, take them outside for a pee. After they eat, take them outside. After a hard play session, outside. Then reward the hell out of them and be super happy when they do their business outside.

I even trained my pup to poo in only one section of the yard where I won't step in it.

PetFriendly
November 9th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Almost every time my puppy has to pee he goes on the paper like he should, however, when he has to do #2, he does it in the hall or somewhere else. I later go around the corner and notice a little present left for me. I never punish him for something I don't see him doing so what should I do? How do I teach him that everything should be done in the same place? Like I said, I am trying to litter train him but also so you know I have the litter box as well as paper in 2 other rooms in my condo. Any help and guidence in this matter would be great.

Thank you so much!
Jen

Move the poop over to the paper so he can smell it there. Make sure the paper is on the opposite side of the room as his bed is. Its not 'normal' for a dog to mess where it lives, so it might be going around the corner in an attempt to keep 'its living space' clean.

Actual litter might be problematic once the pup is bigger and has more energy to burn when you aren't around. A paper lined tray is your best best.

Jenmlf
November 9th, 2005, 12:23 PM
I got the puppie training pads lastnight and as soon as I put it on the floor he pee'd on it. I will try moving his business to the pad now so he will see where it should go, maybe he will then get the idea!

Gripenfelter: The reason I am paper training my dog is because I live in a condo, instead of:
Me seeing he has to pee and then go down a bunch of stairs to put him outside only to find he has relieved himself on me.
I would prefer:
Him having to pee and relieving himself in the designated peeing/pooping area.

Paper training does make his life and my life a whole lot easier (as if he needs his life any easier then it already is:D)

Thanks everyone!

Daizy
November 9th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Yes, that's precisely why I paper trained. A yard/garden would be lovely when one doesn't have one, paper training is the next best option.