Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Looking for book recommendation for training

tojules
November 8th, 2005, 09:48 AM
There are a ton of books out there on training and I was wondering if anybody had any favourites or something that really worked for them? I know each dog has their own personalities you can't just lump them together, however, I'm looking for something to educate me/us as well as help her adjust. I tend to research things out and then do, my husband likes to learn by experience (trial and error), so I'm hoping to find something with background and practical application, things we can start with right away.

Sophie's 2 yrs old, "done time" in the pound...that's where we got her from and she's very emotional, suffers from separation anxiety currently, but all in all she's an awesome pup and I want to make sure we're giving her the correct guidance and the best we have. My husband is home with her this week, but we want to start preparing her for us not being home all the time without sending her into a tail spin.

I've been told to start with training asap (we've had her 4 full days now and are working on house training and that leaving is ok) but taking her to obediance training should be done after she's had time to adjust to us and her new home. I've heard to give a few months?

Anyhow...looking forward to hearing your book recommendations...thanks!! :)

Roxy's_MA
November 8th, 2005, 10:44 AM
I liked the dog training for Dummies. I have only read this book, I don't own it. I do own Jack Russells for dummies, and it has come in handy on many occasions. The books are easy to read and fairly inexpensive. If I was you I would check out the library, and maybe you can try the book out before buying.

PetFriendly
November 9th, 2005, 04:27 PM
I have a book called 'Good Owners, Great Dogs' or something akin to that. It takes you through everything, housebreaking, etc for pups and for new additions to the family that aren't pups any more (like yours). Its pretty basic but gives you the right idea and goes into some dog psychology. The Stanley Coren books are good too for understanding all things dog.

I went to the public library before buying the book to check out my options. I found a number of duds that way.

Having said that, all the books in the world might not help all your dogs issues, so you might also want to consider a trainer. The point of 'dog school' is to teach the humans how to teach the dog so start shopping now to find a trainer you like so you'll be all set once your new pup has settled in.

Dogs are great fun, enjoy yours as much as we do ours!

twodogsandacat
November 9th, 2005, 04:46 PM
I have used books and videos. The video was ordered online from a poster here at Pets.Ca- Tenderfoot. It's good training and is respectful to both the owner and the dog.

I have to admit we tried reward based training and found that sometimes the distraction was better than the treat and unreliable, we then went to a strong willed dog trainer but although it worked we did not like it.....I want a dog that respects me not fears me.

Tenderfoot's 'love them and lead them ' video was perfect.

Suzan
November 9th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Unfortunately I lent my best training book to someone and it never came back. Hope that who ever has it used it and enjoyed it. For that reason I do not know it's correct name, but it was written by the Monks of New Skete, and involved Puppy Training.
Suzan

tenderfoot
November 9th, 2005, 06:58 PM
I have used books and videos. The video was ordered online from a poster here at Pets.Ca- Tenderfoot. It's good training and is respectful to both the owner and the dog.

I have to admit we tried reward based training and found that sometimes the distraction was better than the treat and unreliable, we then went to a strong willed dog trainer but although it worked we did not like it.....I want a dog that respects me not fears me.

Tenderfoot's 'love them and lead them ' video was perfect.

Wow, thanks for the kudos! It's so great to feel like we are doing a good job and that people benefit from our video. Thanks again.

Roxy's ma - you might also enjoy 'The Ultimate Jack Russell Terrier' - it has great advice for all dog owners but especially Jack people.

tojules
November 10th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the recommendations! :) We will be taking Sophie for training in the New Year, trying to find the best training Calgary...getting conflicting reports so far on whether 4 one hour sessions are better than one 4 hour session. I think the one hours are better. Anyhow...it's a must for us to find someone good and like someone else said, we don't want her fearing us either after training but respecting us.

I did order Dogs for Dummies, How to Speak Dog and How to Raise a Puppy you Can Live with...all recommended and my sis gave me her copy of Dog-lopedia, I like that one. My DH and I have also been reading a ton of free stuff off the net and a lot of it is working right now...well, that and my sister (ex-pet store manager, dog agility trainer, pet therapy dog volunteer) has been giving us a ton of advice (lecturing us as well) on what we're doing right and wrong. Hard to admit that my younger sis knows what she's talking about!! :D

I've heard a lot of people talk about that book by the Monks and someone told me the title and I already forgot it.

I did poke around a little on Tenderfoot's website, looks like some great stuff in there I'd love to check out :) but by the time I get the DVD's across the border..between GST, duty, exchange, that's what I'd be paying for 6 weeks of lessons here with the SPCA.

guyfor
November 10th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Hi Tojules,

Good luck with training Sophie in the year to come. I am sure you will enjoy taking her to training class. I have done that with Rusky my golden retriever and it was a pure pleasure.

Happy training class

Guylaine

alliekat
November 14th, 2005, 04:48 PM
I like "The dog who loved too much" by Dr. Dodman. It deals specifically with seperation anxiety among other things and helped me a lot.

Roxy's_MA
November 14th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Roxy's ma - you might also enjoy 'The Ultimate Jack Russell Terrier' - it has great advice for all dog owners but especially Jack people.

thanks, I think I will check it out. I find the breed to be very unique; therefore, I prefer breed specific material.