Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dawson has developed red sore eyes!

lezzpezz
November 8th, 2005, 10:46 AM
My dog Dawson has developed a horrible and painful looking eye irritation. It sprang up last week in one eye and I treated it with the cream (BNP) that was prescribed to one of my dogs in the past, (for eye infection, so it is safe to put around eyes). Boy things really flared up then!

He now has it in both eyes and it looks just awful! Poor fella....

My hubby took him to the vet and Dawson is now on Chloramphenicol and some drops that start with "T", (can't recall name as I am at work, bottle at home), that must get in the eyes 3 to 4 times a day. That's the fun part!:p Some of the drops actually MAKE it in the eye area!!

The vet (new guy as our regular vet is on holiday), said that this was the second case he had seen that day, but Dawson's was far worse. He was surprised that the BNP ointment made the eyes flare up so badly, as that is what he prescribed to the other patient that same day.

Poor Dawson is trying to rub the eye area and is visibly uncomfortable, especially when I go at him with the drops.....

Any ideas? The vet was not forthcoming according to my husband, and trying to get anything out of my husband is like trying to put drops in a dog's eyes:p ...next to impossible!!

Georgiapeaches
November 8th, 2005, 11:54 AM
I don't have any experience with eye infections, so I have no advice, sorry.
I hope sweet Dawson feels better soon.

lezzpezz
November 8th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Thanks GP...he really looks down in the dumps and is very irritated around his eyes. I hope the meds kick in soon. This infection just really took off like a rocket! :eek:
Will keep you posted....