Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy Eats Kitty litter??

Jenmlf
November 7th, 2005, 11:26 PM
Thats right,

My puppy is eating the litter... we are trying to litter train him but I guess he thinks its a big bowl of food??? Anyone else ever encounter this problem? Any suggestions??

Thanks

mafiaprincess
November 8th, 2005, 12:09 AM
What type of cat litter?

If you happen to be using clumping cat litter, it may end up killing the dog, it stays in the dog and isn't expelled.

Potty training with most substances can be problematic with a young dog. Mine liked to rip up puppy pads when young. Took months of watching and occupying her so she wouldn't to move past it. Eating it would concern me some though. Might be boredom or puppies explore with their mouths. I doubt the dog is confused on what food is or is not.

jessi76
November 8th, 2005, 08:30 AM
Try using DOG litter, not cat litter. Most large pet chains sell litter specifically for dogs.

kayla
November 8th, 2005, 10:14 AM
Maybe trying spraying the litter with bitter apple, that is the stuff use to spray on furniture etc to get them to stop chewing.

Jenmlf
November 8th, 2005, 11:13 AM
its non clumping I think! Its the Zellers brand with baking soda... I didn't know they sell Dog litter! I'm going to go look for it today, thanks so much! About the pads, do they work? How are they sold? One in a pack? Maybe I'll try those... Well thanks so much! Oh one last question, where do you buy the bitter apple? I guess a pet store would have it?

Sorry for all the questions!
Jen

jessi76
November 8th, 2005, 12:40 PM
lol, yes, dog litter is available. and yes, the pads do work. They come in packs, are scented to attract your dog to potty on them, and have plastic on the bottom so nothing seeps through like newspaper would. all of this, dog litter, pads, bitter apple is all available at most pet supply stores. I'd be leary about using the bitter apple though, it may turn him off of the box. (or he may LIKE the taste of it, which I've seen alot, my dog disliked it for about 30 seconds, then he didn't care)