Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat losing fur after being pretty sick

Pat Smith
November 7th, 2005, 02:02 PM
About two weeks ago, my mixed breed cat got very sick and had lost a lot of weight in a short time. He is seemingly recovering now eating anything I give him and drinking regularly, but he is losing clumps of hair. Anybody have an idea what is going on?

Shaykeija
November 7th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Yep your cat is sick and needs to see a vet like yesterday. Do the right thing and get it the medical help it needs.

Pat Smith
November 10th, 2005, 11:09 AM
The reason I haven't taken him to the vet is because he is very old and is terrified of going to the vets. He is about 12 or 13 yrs. old. He does not seem to be in pain at all and eats just about anything I give him and all his normal functions are operating properly. He is able to go up a flight of stairs and otherwise seems to have recovered from his illness, whatever it was. I am wondering if possibly he could have had a real high fever which might cause him to lose fur.

jawert1
November 10th, 2005, 11:30 AM
If he has weight loss and fur loss, then he has an infection that a vet needs to diagnose and treat. As stressful as the trip will be on him, you could potentially lose him due to nontreatment regardless of his being non-symptomatic. Please take him to your vet asap, he'll be in better shape in the long run if you do.

badger
November 10th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Even if it upsets him, I think a vet visit would identify any chronic (or acute) problems and solve your uneasiness. Dramatic hair and weight loss is not to be sneezed at, particularly in a kitty of such venerable age.

It may be something quite simple, which a bit of medication can control, making him more comfortable and perhaps even extending his life.