Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

glaucoma

MollysMommy
November 7th, 2005, 12:12 PM
My cousin recently took her kitty Chance to the vet because he was having problems with his eye. The vet told her that he has glaucoma and the eye was filling up with fluid. He also said that the other eye is beginning to get it. She had taken him to the vet earlier, and he thought Chance had cataracts. Now he's sure that it is glaucoma. The vet told her the best thing to do would be to put Chance to sleep. She is devastated.

He is otherwise feeling well and is right now running around the house playing.

Is there something else that can be done besides putting him to sleep? My uncle is a doctor, and he suggested a kind of eyedrops. There is hope that the meds will reduce the pain and swelling. It is inevitable that he would be blind in that eye. But my uncle is a people-doctor, not a vet, so it's not the same situation. My cousin is not letting her hopes get too high, but she loves that kitty like crazy. I feel awful for her.

What are everyone's suggestions? Is it possible that glaucoma can be stopped from spreading?

raingirl
November 7th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Glaucoma is when the ducts in the eye become clogged and malfunction so that the fluid in the eye cannot drain. This results in extreme pressure in the eye and on the nerve which can cause permanent damage and blindness.

There are drops you can get to help unclog and drain the eye, but they aren't 100% effective. The cat will go blind.

There is no way to stop it from spreading as it is genetic. If the cat is predisposed to it, it will happen. The drops will just slow the process.

Blind animals live healthy normal lives from what I understand...so I would get the medication for the cat and let it live it's life.

jawert1
November 7th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Glaucoma isn't a fatal condition, though there are conditions that cause it that might be. Is the kitty diabetic (same as with us humans..)? Can your cousin get a second opinion on treatment? I agree with raingirl that blind animals lead full and productive lives, I've known several cats that were blind and the worst their owners had to do was not move the furniture about :)

MollysMommy
November 7th, 2005, 02:18 PM
I don't know, but I don't think Chance is diabetic. As of getting a second opinion, that's what I told her to do. I'll pass on all your info to her, and I'll do my best to update.