Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Marking Territory or a Problem???

fredo
November 7th, 2005, 11:08 AM
My 10.5 month old poodle/dachshund has started strategically peeing on the posts on my stairs inside the house. This was after my in-laws dog spent the week-end at our house. Could this be the reason or should I worry???
NO other worrisome behaviour. When I let him out he goes like normal.

We had a really hard time training him and since then though he has been accident free though for months which
is why I am getting concerned that this might turn into a problem. We almost had to give him up because the urinating and defecating in the house during training became intolerable. I stuck it out and love this pooch to death but I don't think I would be able to handle a situation like the training previously.

Is this normal behaviour for dogs? He is neutered.

raingirl
November 7th, 2005, 12:35 PM
He could have a urinary tract infection. I would take him to the vet first in case it's that.

Otherwise, Dashounds are notoriously bad for housetraining. most of them are never 100% housetrained, and a lot are trained to use pee pads in the house.

Rottielover
November 7th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Hell sounds like marking to me, a behaviour problem. Is he neutered??
Was the other dog neutered. Training and neutering will help solve that problem

fredo
November 7th, 2005, 12:46 PM
both my dog and the other dog is neutered.

What type of training???? Any special training??

He is otherwise potty trained. I am skeptical it is a UI infection given of the deliberateness of his actions no other changes. He still signals to go out (even sometimes he fools us and wants to go out to play)

I am just scared this turns into a problem. So any suggestions are appreciated.

Rottielover
November 7th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Keep a very close eye on him, let him earn his freedom again, keep him on a leash, and correct before he does. When you see him thinking of it.
I say it is a marking problem. He feels his house wa just over run by another dog. I have seen many neutered dogs mark.
My rottie marked once at OB class when he was 7 months. Never ever again has he ever marked. I correct before it happens. And he has learned his house manners, and knows it is not correct. Alot of training though

fredo
November 7th, 2005, 01:39 PM
That is what I told my husband. he cannot be let out of our sight like before until we nip this one in the butt. My husband thinks we should maybe go back to crating him more and slowly let him back out again.

I am a softy in thinking that he will hate that and not understand why we are leaving him in there when we are at home. It kills me to leave him in his crate to go to work much less do it when I am home....though it may be necessary you think??

Rottielover
November 7th, 2005, 01:48 PM
When you are not home, the crate is the best place for him to be, and when you are home, the leash idea is the best way to nip it in the butt as you say.
Catch him before he tries

PetFriendly
November 7th, 2005, 06:04 PM
I agree with Rottielover, just keep a leash on him and keep an eye on him. He needs to learn some manners and being crated isn't going to teach him that, catching him in the act and scolding will work much better. (scolding means a loud NO then take him outside to finish)

You'll also need to get the smell out of your stairway. We used vinegar for that, but there are lots of other choices. Just stay away from any soap with amonia as its smell is too close to urine and the pup will get confused.

tenderfoot
November 7th, 2005, 06:16 PM
He hasn't earned the right to have freedom in the house when you are home or away. You are not being cruel - you are managing while you teach. It would be much worse to let this continue and then resent him for making mistakes and maybe having hubby get fed up and want to get rid of him. Take this opportunity to turn things around and make it better for everyone involved. If he was trained before it shouldn't take that long to do again.

fredo
November 8th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Thanks for all the input guys. I really appreciate it.

Is this a temporary thing usually? Or is this a permanent long term behavioural issue?

Rottielover
November 8th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Depends on the dog itself. My almost all the time it can be corrected in training. It is not an overnight thing