Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What would you do?

raingirl
November 7th, 2005, 10:16 AM
What would you do if you found out your rescue dog was someone's lost pet? What if they found you and wanted their dog back?

BMDLuver
November 7th, 2005, 10:23 AM
I would allow them to have their dog back. It would be devastating to finally find your dog after a lengthy search and know that he/she could not come back to the family.

A local rescue had a dog that was adopted out to a new family. The original owners finally succeeded in finding the dog. The adoptive family gave them their dog back after medical bills had been settled as they put themselves in the original families shoes and knew how they would feel.

raingirl
November 7th, 2005, 10:26 AM
I guess I always worry about it because Odin came from the shelter, but we dont know if he was given up or just found somewhere.

I don't think that I would be able to give him up if someone tried to claim him as their own.

BMDLuver
November 7th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Completely understandable as you love him dearly. I would think that by now his owners would have been able to track him down if they wished to do so. It's not like he's a common dog.

Prin
November 7th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Boo was beaten, so I know I would never give him back. Besides, they would never recognize him anyway- I mean, with all the fur and lack of open wounds and all...

Jemma's previous owner gave her to us directly, but if she ever came back, I would just convince her that we were better for Jemma because we have Boo and because we know that in 15 years, Jemma will still have a place with us, which is something she couldn't promise because she travelled a lot and moved around a lot and just wasn't stable enough for a doggy.

AliSam
November 7th, 2005, 01:12 PM
It's something that I have thought about quite a bit (not so much lately). Sam was a pound puppy that they found roaming the streets eating garbage and rocks. He was wearing a collar with no tags. You could tell he was once in a happy home because he was neutered, loving, and could sit, stay and shake a paw. I was always worried that the original owners would show up. To this day, they never have. Because he loves to run, run, run, we figured he just got out and kept on running and got lost. We don't think that he came from our area.

Beaglemom
November 7th, 2005, 01:20 PM
This is such a tough question. I think it would depend. I know that if I had lost one of my dogs, I would hope that who ever had found them would return them to me. But then again, if I had found one who looked like they had been abused in anyway, there is no way that I would want them returned to that environment.

Rottielover
November 7th, 2005, 01:23 PM
If it was a happy family, then yes I would. I would put myself in their shoes. I would die if something ever happened. And I hope someone would do the same for me. But if the dog looked very frightened of the people, or showed no signs of content, I think I would gladly keep him.
Harley is from a breeder, and I always tell her, you can not have him back, LOL