Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Perfume/Cologne?

savannah
November 7th, 2005, 08:57 AM
I really want to get a new perfume, and sort of sick of my usual scents. Just curious, what perfume or cologne do you wear?

I mostly used to wear
allure - chanel and
jean paul gaultier classique perfume

i was thinking of buying Maybe Baby by Benefit or Chance by Chanel, but there are so many new perfumes, i don't want to be overwhelmed when heading into downtown t.o. The Bay. Too many choices.

So, what are your favourites?

BMDLuver
November 7th, 2005, 09:42 AM
Savannah, I worked for Guerlain for some time. I'm not sure if you are aware of this or not but a lot depends on your physical makeup what type of perfume you choose or rather what the base to that perfume is. For example, if you are fair haired and fair complexion, then you would choose a floral base perfume, if you are dark haired and olive complexion then you would choose a spice based perfume. You know how sometimes you are in an elevator or store beside someone and they reek of perfume? That's because they have chosen the wrong scent for their body type. Perfume should be subtle and just leave a faint scent when passing by someone, sort of a sensual enticement if you get my meaning. :) Staff at the counter of whatever brand you choose, should be knowledgeable about what scents will work best for you. If they aren't then select another company who has better trained staff. That's kind of it in a nutshell when choosing a new perfume.

raingirl
November 7th, 2005, 10:05 AM
I usually only wear the Tea Rose perfume from....darn...what's that store called. kinda like the body shop....Fruits and Passion! That's it. It's very nice.

catsnatcher-CDN
November 7th, 2005, 10:14 AM
not sure if you're in montreal, but instead of going to the Bay, go to a perfume store (I know they have on in Rockland center). Make a list of smells that you really like.

If you go on a day that isn't too busy, they will take the time to find the perfect perfume for you. They will let you smell many, then, through a process of elimination, choose 4 to test on your skin, let stand for about 5 minutes and have someone give an objective opinion of the one that suits you the best....

After 30 minutes of smelling and testing, mine was HOT COUTURE by Givenchy

ALSO: if you like jp gauthier, check out CUBA GOLD for men. It's such an amazing smell...

savannah
November 7th, 2005, 10:24 AM
what about someone with dark hair and pale complexion? I tend to like the sweeter scents, but have 1 spicier scent i use in the fall (i can't remember the name - comes in a red round ball like bottle).

BMDLuver
November 7th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Darker hair, pale complexion leads me to believe that you must have some irish in your heritage. If you are a burn in the sun kind of gal, then not all spicy colognes/perfumes will work for you... meaning they will smell off. I agree with catsnatcher that going to a true perfume shop would be a much better idea. They will guide you in the right choices. Some florals lend to the spicy side depending on what flowers have been used.

Prin
November 7th, 2005, 12:42 PM
I used to use Aqua Di Gio or whatever it's called because it smelled fresh. But now, everything makes me sneeze so I go out smelling like Dove Unscented soap instead...:o

Puppyluv
November 7th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Hanae Mori "Butterfly"
mmmm soo good
http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P0974
I used to wear Abercrombie eau de toilette, because it was fresh, and not fruity or musky, but then smelled this one day while shopping and have been hooked since.

BoxerRescueMTL
November 7th, 2005, 08:36 PM
Anything Jo Malone!! Especially Lime, Basil & Mandarin. Yum.

Georgiapeaches
November 7th, 2005, 11:35 PM
I just got the new Guess perfume and I really like it. Allure is my all time favourite though.

melanie
November 8th, 2005, 12:22 AM
oh i have found the scent of my life. and its not very expensive either.

i use the body shops perfume oils, i esp love white musk. its really affordable, about $50 for a sml bottle, but one bottle worn daily has lasted me 11 months and i still have half left. body shop also have a mix and match range which is great, yum....

just for a side note, i recently got the body shop vitamin E eye cream, for the wrinkles, black rings and puffiness (gosh im gettin old:D ). its a small tube but you dont use much and it truly is the mirical cream, doesnt matter how crap i look before, my eyes really look good and being a sufferer of big black circles under my eyes during the afternoon, it really does work, no black circles, no puff and i feel one less wrinkle....

and in the words of the wonderful aussie icon, Dame edna everidge's mother

'dont fret possum, wrinkles are just bunched up dry smiles' gotta love that dame:D

Bearsmom
November 8th, 2005, 07:21 AM
I don't wear perfume, I'm allergic to it. Sometimes I wish those who bathed in it were a little more courteous of that fact. Ugh.

chico2
November 8th, 2005, 07:35 AM
I am kind of lazy and have for a few years been buying all my make-up from Yves Rocher,great prices,great products..and it get delivered right to my front-door.
My favourite scent is "Desire de Nature" by YR a nice fruity,flowery scent..
I remember when I was working and someone came in soaked in the horrific"Poison"I would get an instant headache and the odor would linger in the room for the rest of the day,awful stuff!!

SnowDancer
November 8th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Savannah, If I recall correctly, you are located in the Toronto Area. Since you appear to like Chanel, if you are going to the Bay on Bloor (as opposed to Eaton Centre) you might try the Chanel Boutique, as they carry a few Chanel products not carried elsewhere. BMD is quick correct re body chemistry affecting how fragrance will eventually smell on you. Since the demise of Pavlova perfume, I have gone without - and it took years to find it. I have an extremely acidic body chemistry - 3 - 4 on the "litmus" test. They all end up smelling like rancid baby powder or bathroom cleaner. Actually a taxi driver complimented me on my "perfume" last year - I had just used a Clorox cleanup wipe. I also noted BMD asked if you are of Irish descent - I am - but sadly did not inherit the gorgeous blue black hair, but the red - very pale skin etc. There is also Mirella Perfumes located in the ManuLife Centre. She looked up the ingredients of Pavlova and tried to match a similar perfume - zip. So I gave up. Saves money - and frankly, people wear too much perfume - was actually strongly discouraged in my former office - and with all of my allergies, probably just as well. But both the Boutique and Mirella's are worth a shot. (Note - if you go to the Boutique on a Monday, you may well be helped by seriously top make-up artist, Kris. Just thought I would add that. No one better.