Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Peeing In House - Medical Or Behavioral?

sodapoppers
November 7th, 2005, 03:32 AM
We are having some major problems with one of our cats. They do go outdoors, but also have a litter box inside, in our bathroom. We have 3 mats in the bathroom. I am at work washing them right now and almost died from the smell of amonia / urine on them Ya you know where this is going...

A little bit of background...I have had this cat for 8 years now (making him almost 9). He lived with me at my parents with no problems for a very long time until just before I moved. When he was very young he had a problem with crystals in his urinary tract and has since been on magnesium-restricted food. It can be hard to regulate though because he will also beat the dog out of her dish and eat her food
My parents got another cat, a stray, whom my dad really liked and decided to keep. Ever since that, my cat, Blue, started to pee in their house. My mom was threatening to put him down because the house smelt like pee EVERYWHERE, because once he started, all the others did too. So when I moved out, I took him and the other cat Piggy with me. Had no problems with peeing or pooing in the house or 'marking.' Ever since we got the dog, Blue has started to pee / spray in the house again . It used to be only if the dog would go for periods of time, then come back. Ie. We'd go to the cottage for a week then come back home. Now it is seeming to be an every day type of thing, even though sometimes he seems accustomed to the dog on and off. The dog gets rough with him sometimes, so i don't blame him for getting pissy.
A couple things i read said peeing is usually health related, and spraying is behavioral Well he is doing a bit of both. Has anyone ever dealt with this before? Please tell me there is a solution outside of having to get rid of the cat / dog, or putting the cat down...(that's one of the things i read)

Prin
November 7th, 2005, 03:51 AM
Have you been to the vet? IMO, any sudden change in behavior warrants a vet visit.

Is he neutered?

What do you do when the dog bugs him? It's not terribly difficult for most dogs to learn to leave a cat alone, so some training for the doggy might help. I think the cat deserves you to, at the very least, step in and stop the dog from bugging him, so he can live peacefully.:)
(there'll be way more advice in the morning ;))

chico2
November 7th, 2005, 08:06 AM
What strikes me first from your post is your cat has had many changes in his life,including a dog who harasses him and he's showing you his unhappiness with the situation.
I too have a cat who sprays on occasion,mostly because of strange cats outside,but I would not dream of having him killed because of it:sad: I love him.
The dog should not be allowed to bother him,if he is not a willing participant.
He needs to have a safe place to get away.
I am hoping you do not punish him aggressively for peeing,it will just make him more agitated.He needs love and cuddles and to feel he's safe.
I am assuming he's neutered and I also think a trip to the vet is needed,to make sure his UTI has not returned.
Also,it's very difficult to stop a cat from spraying,as long as there is still a smell.I have wood-floors which makes it easier to remove,but there are several good products in the store for removing pet-odors one of them being"Natures Miracle"(I believe it's called).
What he needs more than anything right now,is love and care and to feel he is secure and safe.

sodapoppers
November 7th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Hi there, thank you for the responses. Yes he is neutered. Putting him down is not an option i have exercised, it is just one of the things i told would have to be done because apparently once they start, they don't stop. I want to give it a shot though, there has to be something that will work for him.
I am not sure what to do about the dog. Yes I scold her and have thrown her into her crate when she gets really rough with him. She is getting worse too...she has terrier in her and just wants to chase anything that will run away. It usually stars off with her being nice to him, so he will let her sniff him and he will rub on the dog, then decide he's had enough and will walk away. So the dog will follow him with her nose up his butt and then he takes offence and will turn around and swat her. Then she gets into the playing bow and will bark and take snaps and paw back at him. She's quite a bit bigger than he is and is too rough for him. Heck she is too rough with most dogs as it is.
What sorts of things can I do when she is bugging him like this? I have had her for 9 months now and what i have been doing isn't working yet.
I too have wood floors. No i have not punished him for peeing. I have only caught him in the act once, most other times i just step in it :eek: and it's way too late. HOw would you even reprimand a cat for that? Not sure if they see things the same ways as dogs.
Thanks!

BMDLuver
November 7th, 2005, 09:38 AM
I am not sure what to do about the dog. Yes I scold her and have thrown her into her crate when she gets really rough with him. She is getting worse too...she has terrier in her and just wants to chase anything that will run away.
This is off of your peeing topic but you are not training the dog right either. The crate is not there as a punishment tool. It's supposed to be the dog's den and happy place. Keep a long lead on the dog at all times. When the dog interacts with the cat and is doing so politely, reward the dog... when the dog gets too rough, give a light tug on the leash and teach the dog "leave it". This pup is 9 month old and needs some training. I would suggest enrolling in an obedience class with a positive trainer. It's a terrier cross you say and they are prey driven dogs... when it becomes an adult the cat may not fair so well. I would get the dog under control and you may find that the cat becomes much more relaxed and happy in it's environment. But that's JMHO.

sodapoppers
November 7th, 2005, 10:15 AM
This is off of your peeing topic but you are not training the dog right either. The crate is not there as a punishment tool. It's supposed to be the dog's den and happy place. Keep a long lead on the dog at all times. When the dog interacts with the cat and is doing so politely, reward the dog... when the dog gets too rough, give a light tug on the leash and teach the dog "leave it". This pup is 9 month old and needs some training. I would suggest enrolling in an obedience class with a positive trainer. It's a terrier cross you say and they are prey driven dogs... when it becomes an adult the cat may not fair so well. I would get the dog under control and you may find that the cat becomes much more relaxed and happy in it's environment. But that's JMHO.

thank you. the dog is just over a year now. We're starting classes soon.:)

chico2
November 7th, 2005, 01:48 PM
I just wanted to add,are you sure it's the cat and not the puppy???
Cats will spray up against something and usually there is only a small puddle on the floor.
If he sits down and pees in the middle of the floor,I would think there is something wrong with him(UTI),cats do not usually do that,at least all my cats never have.
My son has a terrier(JR) and she would most certainly hunt and kill my cats,were they ever to be face to face.She's a sweety,but has great prey-drive.
Punishing any animal causing pain will only have an adverse reaction.
If I catch my cat in the act,I will tell him a firm NO Rocky and it seems to have helped some.
I would really hate to see you kill a 9yr old cat, because his life has been turned upsidedown,it's definetly not his fault.:sad:
BMDlover gave you great advice,please try to follow it.

PetFriendly
November 7th, 2005, 06:59 PM
My brother's cat does that, pees all over that is, when there's something new, be it human or animal living in the house (especially male visitors of the dog variety).

He's going on 14 and has been neutered since forever. The vet said it was a marking behaviour combined with a displeasure of the new household residents. What they ended up doing (because they have a grandchild now and the cat would pee on her diaper bag, coat, car seat, as well as on shoes, boots, piles of laundry, etc.) was putting the litter box in a new place and clean it everyday. They also took vinegar to anywhere that even remotely smelled like urine. He hasn't piddled in the house for months now.

sodapoppers
November 7th, 2005, 11:43 PM
Chico, I don't WANT to put him down - I am not even THINKING of putting him down - I was only saying that is something someone told me I will have to do if i don't want to smell cat urine every day because this is "incurable".
I was working with the dog today with the leash and cat with some success. I did not put the bathmats down today (so just the tile floor) and there were no ' on purpose' accidents. :)

chico2
November 8th, 2005, 08:25 AM
Sodapoppers,I am sorry,but we read more often than not how easily people either "put down"or "dump"cats instead on bothering to work on a problem.
It seems often cats are not as important as dogs.
Don't get me wrong,I love dogs,I love all animals,but my cats lives are every bit as important as any other living beings.
Yes,peeing,spraying is a problem but one that needs to be solved in figuring out the cause.Ending a life is not a solution.
In your case,the dog is probably the cause of your cats problem and understandably so,I don't mean to be harsh,but I would not let my dog harass a cat any more than I would let him harass a child.
You need to look at from the cats point of view and it seems you are making progress:thumbs up

LL1
November 10th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Did you go to the vet to see?One of my cats had a problem and I thought it might be just behavioral as we had moved etc,but went to the vet anyway and he had a bladder infection and was all better in no time.

NICKY
November 13th, 2005, 07:34 PM
hello there:)

i have a 13month old blue russian male. i have also had this peeing problem in the past. As we live on a busy road, nicky couldnt go outside alone, so we used to take him out on the lead. The problem was that at first a few hours at a time wasnt enough, then half a day wasnt enough, and then nearly the whole day wasnt enough... as you can guess the reason why we realised it wasnt enough was because he would pee on our clothing everytime we left him inside... if not peeing he was running, jumping or hanging from the wooden blinds yowling like a siamese...

so, we have since built a cat run out of netting outside our laundry. He doesnt want to come inside untill 10pm at night, (if we bring him in earlier, he howls and blind bangs again).....and then he curls up on the bed and sleeps till 5-7am. Sure enough, as soon as he wakes he wants to go back outside...

so the long winded story is my explanation as to how we fixed our peeing problem as i can sympathise as to how it realllllly makes you angry and upset as to how you can fix it.

is he an indoor cat?

NICKY
November 13th, 2005, 07:36 PM
oh sorry i just realised that you had said that he does go outdoors..