Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dry Ear

raingirl
November 6th, 2005, 09:56 PM
Weird thing that I noticed today.

Last night I cleaned Odin's Ears. Nothing special. Because of the bite on his ear from last week, I didn't clean them for almost two weeks (he got bit on cleaning day).

So...today, one of his ears is all dry and...well, callused, like dry cracked skin. Anything I should be concerned about? My ears sometimes get like that in the cold winter, kinda like windburnt. I put lotion on and they get better.

I put a thin layer of water based lotion to see if that helps and it seems to be a little better. And it's on the opposite ear to the one that got bit.

Prin
November 6th, 2005, 10:22 PM
I've never had a doggy with dry ears. It sounds a lot like when my bro got frostbite on his ear though- but it's not cold enough yet.

raingirl
November 7th, 2005, 08:34 AM
yeah...that's what it's like (feels the same as when I got frostbite too). it's right just inside the ear on the flattish part towards the back of the head. a patch about the size of a dime.

It's also sorta like eczema...

Prin
November 7th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Weird... I would definitely go with yogurt though. It might help replenish the good bacteria on the skin. Otherwise, I have no idea...

raingirl
November 7th, 2005, 01:38 PM
We give him pro-biotic pills with each feeding instead of yogurt as it makes his poop soft. Could be related to the anti-biotics he was on for his bitten ear...at first when I saw it it looked like it was white and flakey and I thought maybe it was a yeast infection, then the day after I cleaned it, the skin was all cracked and dry and calloused and red.

I will check again tonight.... this morning the lotion seemed to make it look a little better.