Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog attuned to sun

Beetlecat
November 6th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Anyone else have a dog that rises and sets with the sun?

Waking up at dawn I can understand but I'm trying to figure out how exactly he knows when the sun has set, given that the light level in my house does not change at night, nor does anything else in the house.

And he also has specific times of the day where he is really active and wanting to play. And even if I don't take him out during this time, when it passess he is much less excitable and frantic. And this is not because he's used to going out at these times either.

I just find it all interesting...

jesse's mommy
November 6th, 2005, 08:50 PM
My childhood dog used to watch the digital clock and when certain shapes would appear (5:00 am) he would start jumping on my parents bed to wake them up -- whether it was the weekend or not. They never had the opportunity to sleep in because he wanted both of them up -- but then they got smart they would both get up and one would sneak back to bed and they would take turns...

Prin
November 6th, 2005, 10:25 PM
My doggies have very little routine except one- if we go to the dog park one day, they are very certain that we'll go the next day too. I don't know where they got that idea...

My old doggy was so stuck in her routine (my dad's routine) that it became a bother so I decided not to repeat that. My doggies know there will never be more than 10 hours between pees, no matter what time they may occur at and that seems to be fine with them.

melanie
November 7th, 2005, 03:47 PM
its all about biorythms (spelling is crap i think) and all that stuff. havent you noticed you get tired at certain times even if the lights are on? we all have a natural clock in side us, and dogs have this too.

for example it has been proven that we are affecting our dogs coat shedding and such due to unnatural lights in the home being on during the night, even if your dog is asleep, his system knows whats going on. basically a dog will be subject to say 16hrs of natural and unnatural light a day, when naturally light periods determine their seasonal body functions. so these go a bit funny for domestic dogs.

at night i often send charlie to ehr bed in my dark room, she is happy to go ofcourse (would enver force her to bed). i find she will stay in there till i get to bed and she will often go and put herself in there at certain times of night.

dogs have natural systems like we do, they are just not always adheared to is all.:D

Gripenfelter
November 7th, 2005, 04:41 PM
My dog is a vampire. He sleeps all day and is up after sunset till about 1am. :p

Dog Dancer
November 7th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Funny you said about putting the dog to bed Melanie. Halo puts herself to bed at about 10pm, in our bedroom on her blanket. If I stay up for more than 1/2 hour after that she'll stick her head out into the livingroom every 20 minutes or so as if to say "Hey, it's bedtime, get in here.." It's so funny. And at 6:30 am everyday she gets restless and wants to go out to do her business. On weekends though she's right back in and back to bed until we get up.

PetFriendly
November 7th, 2005, 05:48 PM
My Charley has a bed time too. Even I haven't put him in his crate by 10 pm, he'll go in a settle for the night. Once he's in there, there is no getting him out until 5 the next morning. He can usually tell if its a week-end as he'll go back in his crate without much protest so I can go back to sleep for a few hours. Going for a pee at 5 am and 4 pm are about the only real scheduled events that occur no matter which day it is (he pees more than that but at various times through the day, I don't want you all thinking he's crated all day and night or anything :D ).

melanie
November 8th, 2005, 01:46 AM
um hubby was sick recently so was home during the day, i went out to do things for about 4 hours. upon returning home was greeted with a very worried panicked hubby, his concern -charlie slept most of the time i was gone, he thought she may be sick or sad. um dogs sleep alot mister, he was really worried, silly bugger, i soon assured him charlie did not have cancer/illness or any form of depression. its just normal.

poor man near had kittens:D

kayla
November 8th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Anyone else have a dog that rises and sets with the sun?

Hmmm, clearly there is some sort of rooster conspiracy going on with our pets. Maybe biotechnologists thought it would be amusing to put a rooster gene in domestic dogs.

http://bestsmileys.com/animals/3.gif

Beetlecat
November 8th, 2005, 11:54 AM
My doggies have very little routine except one- if we go to the dog park one day, they are very certain that we'll go the next day too. I don't know where they got that idea...

Funny you said that. I took my dog out for a good run yesterday morning (earlier and longer than usual) and this morning all he has done so far is sit by my feet and cry to go outside. And he's already had two potty breaks, so I know he doesn't have to pee.

Of course, I want to take him out now, but I have to wait until he stops demanding, or he'll be insufferable tomorrow.