- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


cats rescues at 9/11

November 6th, 2005, 05:23 PM
I know this happend a while ago, but I couldnt help bringing them up...

This is a story, some may have heard of it, some may have forgotten, but I think its amazing...
The World Trade Center recovery effort has brought plenty of sadness, and some extraordinary tales of survival, including one of a very resourceful cat.
Beneath the rubble, in a forgotten basement of what was once a restaurant, rescuers Found the blast survivor, curled up In a carton of napkins.

The owner of the restaurant made the discovery about two weeks after the disaster. He immediately called rescuers.

Dr. John Charros said that the Cat had given birth to three beautiful kittens.

"Mom was very emaciated, very thIn and dehydrated. She's suffering from the flu. She's still getting over that now, and had a little secondary bacterial infection. The babies were In pretty good shape; they had been feeding well. I think mama weighed In at five pounds when she was first brought in. She should probably weigh somewhere between eight and 10 pounds," Charros said.

Doctors immediately hospitalized the animals and predict a full recovery. Mom has been christened "Hope." The babies are being called "Freedom," "Amber" and "Flag."

Shelter operators at Brooklyn's Center for Animal Care and Control said that they've found homes for the Cat and kittens. They should be able to leave the hospital in November.

This cat was another 9/11 survivour-
Precious Life: D.J. Kerr thought her beloved Precious was a goner amid the TwIn Towers collapse, but the feisty feline has nine lives.

October 2, 2001 - Meet the miracle kitty who survived 18 days without food amid the debris of ground zero. Emergency workers rescued Precious the Cat from the debris-covered roof of a damaged apartment building across from the World Trade Center.

The 9-pound Persian suffered eye injuries, burns to her paws and smoke and dust inhalation.

But the feisty feline was able to stay Alive by lapping from puddles of contaminated rainwater.

"It's unbelievable. It's a miracle. I can't believe she's alive," said D.J. Kerr, who owns Precious.

She and her husband Steve were out of town when the TwIn Towers collapsed, blowing out the windows In their loft and filling it with flying glass, metal, dust and smoke.

A house sitter had been due to arrive at 10 a.m. that morning to take care of Precious, who had never been outside before.

The Kerrs figured Precious was a goner - especially since their seven-story building at 114 Liberty St. was damaged and will be unfit for occupancy for at least nine months.

But Saturday night, rescuers, responding to a report of a Cat crying, used a recovery dog to corner the injured and terrified animal on the cluttered rooftop.

They then brought her to the nearby Suffolk County SPCA van, which had been treating rescue and search dogs for exhaustion and exposure.

Suffolk SPCA chief Roy Gross called Precious' survival "miraculous."

"This is the first good story we've heard," said Gross. "She has sores on her mouth from drinking out of puddles. She's dirty and dehydrated and her eyes were injured, but she's going to be OK."

He said Precious is Alive because she was apparently able to "drink dirty water out of puddles."

Kerr said Precious needs more treatment for her eyes but is expected to make a good recovery.

"She lost two pounds and her little paws are burnt on the bottom because the top of the building was so hot, but she's going to live," Kerr said with a smile.

"I gave her her favourite food - sliced turkey. She was eating so fast because she was starved to death and she's drinking a lot of water, but she's so happy, she's just purring," Kerr said.