Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

When to take away the kong?

Prin
November 6th, 2005, 06:05 PM
The bf bought a sort of octagony kong thing that fits cookies in the middle, so I put a few broken cookies in there (it was a tight squeeze to get them in there).

How long do I let Jemma go at it? She's been trying to get those cookies out for at least 2 hours... Every now and then I check to see if her mouth is irritated and it seems ok, but how much time till it's considered obsessive self-torture?

jesse's mommy
November 6th, 2005, 06:12 PM
What we've done with Jesse is just let her go at it. If it keeps her busy, occupied, and happy then we just let her go until she got enough slobber on the cookie to soften it up and get it out. I think as long as you just check once in a while like you are, she's fine. If she's happy just let her be. I would let her keep it until the noise gets on your nerves....

Prin
November 6th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Jemma's actually really quiet about it. If she makes too much noise, Boo will think it's fun and come take it away from her...:evil:

Georgiapeaches
November 6th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Maybe with the cookies you can add something moist and yummy, like peanut butter.

kayla
November 6th, 2005, 08:06 PM
Haha, I wish the king would entertain Kayla for 2 hours! I say just let Jemma at it and enjoy your peace in the meantime;)

mona_b
November 6th, 2005, 08:24 PM
See with me,I actually don't cram the treats in it.I leave it loose enough so Tron can eventually get them out.This way he won't get to frustrated and ticked off if he can't get them....:)

Beetlecat
November 6th, 2005, 08:32 PM
lol. Just be happy you can occupy your dog for 2 hours at a time.

No matter what I stuff it with, a kong interests my dog for maybe 20 minutes at a time. He won't bother cleaning it out properly. Even fresh bones don't interest him past stripping all the meat off.

If I want him entertained, then I have to entertain him :)

jawert1
November 6th, 2005, 08:43 PM
Prin I'm JEALOUS LOL if I could keep Peaches or Simon that occupied I'd be in doggymamma heaven!!!

Prin
November 6th, 2005, 10:07 PM
LOL you all are so funny. My doggies sleep ALL the time and rarely bug me (like right now) so seeing Jemma awake, working on something for that long was weird... She gave up shortly after I posted this and I just looked at it and the cookies are small enough to fall out now. She wasn't frustrated though- she's very, very determined..

I tried putting smaller treats in there last time, but they get them out so fast I might as well just give them the cookies directly...
:rolleyes:

raingirl
November 6th, 2005, 10:09 PM
With Odin we just let him go at it. We pute a cookie in his "WetNoz" toy today and he has been trying to get it all day...no joke. He may have taken a few naps in between, but then he wakes up, remembers the cookie in the toy, and back at it. If we put food in a toy, he will go non-stop with it for hours! I say don't worry about it. Then again, if you don't want her to get bored of it, you could take it away so it's more exciting when she gets it back.

And by the way, getting cookies out of those darn octagons is near IMPOSSIBLE. I swear, there is a cookie in Odins from Last February that won't come out! We tried everything!

Prin
November 6th, 2005, 10:11 PM
LOL So the octagons are made to stump the doggies AND the humans? :D Keeps the whole home busy.

shannonRN
November 6th, 2005, 10:42 PM
We've had problems with Rommel with this. If the treats you put in there are a tight enough fit and are hard enough, they won't break down even when exposed to copious amounts of slobber and they just won't come out (try mashing them with the handle of a kitchen spoon or something). Rom bloodied his tongue over this once, so I'd definitely say take the kong away before that happens--but that's a no-brainer. I felt so bad when that happened--Bad owner! Bad!

Dogastrophe
November 7th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Two hours working at cookie retrieval sounds like a good problem to have. mine tend to give up after 25 mins or so. I'd say let her go for as long as she can. In the end, if there is still a cookie left in it, pull it out and give it to her ... she will have deserved it.

Prin
November 7th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Ya, I gave her the cookie.. The soggy, shrunken, nasty cookie... And then another fresh one to wash the nasty one down...:)

Schwinn
November 8th, 2005, 11:59 AM
We stuff it full. Daisy sits and chews on it until the pieces break and fall out, or she repeatedly throws it on the ground. She's never hurt herself, and seems to enjoy it. She always throws it on our lap when it's empty. We also have a large ball that we fill with treats and she pushes around the house.