Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tape worm

PetFriendly
November 6th, 2005, 04:25 PM
As soon as it snows, I'm going to be bringing home my cat who's been living at my paren't house since mid-summer de-mousing (and rats and squirrells and chipmunks) their barn.

She's on Revolution so the only thing I'm really worried about is her bringing home tapeworm. There is another two cats and two dogs in the household so I was going to keep her quaranteened for a while. I've spoken with the vets office who said I should keep her seperate for at least a week and bring in a sample so they can test it.

Last spring we had a case of worms with the cats and one of them got a false negative feces sample test (he had worms because he threw a couple of them up but the sample was negative).

So my question is, how likely is a second false negative? I think I'd like to de-worm her even if she tests negative. Also, is there anything else I should worry about (medically that is) What do you guys think?

Luba
November 6th, 2005, 05:10 PM
I'm no cat expert but she could be somewhat feral now....?

PetFriendly
November 6th, 2005, 05:24 PM
I'm no cat expert but she could be somewhat feral now....?

She wasn't when I visisted last week-end. I go every two week-ends or so, and without fail she hears my car and comes to greet me if she's outside. She goes in the house there, has her basket under the coffee table and eats her kibble indoors (birds eat it if its left on the porch). She's lived in that yard her whole life. I just recently moved to the City and brought her with me (last summer). She's been an indoor-outdoor cat all her life. And with the days getting shorter and the temperature dropping, she's all for spending mroe time in the house. She's going on 9 years old so I don't think she would revert to feral-ness that quickly.

PetFriendly
November 8th, 2005, 03:40 PM
I take it no-one knows if there is a way of avoiding a false negative? I'm posting in the hopes of getting this back towards the top in case someone with an idea missed it the first time... :confused:

StaceyB
November 8th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Treating them if they test clear won't benefit her. It is not like flea meds that are preventative. The meds only work if there are worms otherwise you may medicate her for no reason. Take a sample in and have them test it. I don't know what the chance is that she would test negative even if she has worms.

PetFriendly
November 9th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Take a sample in and have them test it. I don't know what the chance is that she would test negative even if she has worms.

Maybe I'll take a few samples in then. That last false negative really has us freaked out. I don't want to keep the poor cat isolated for too long for nothing, but i don't want the other animals sick either. I wouldn't want her on meds if they weren't needed, but she has been catching mice and the occasional rat all summer (not sure if she's eating them though, she really likes her kibble) and its the rats I'm worried about the most.

talk about being stuck between a rock and a hard place :confused: