Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat scratching neck raw

William Bosco
September 13th, 2003, 02:53 PM
Our 2 year old tom cat cries as he scratches his neck. He has 3 raw patches. He has not been fighting.(fixed)He was fine all thru last winter. He lives outside and I don't see fleas on him. He has thick hair. We've taken him to the vet twice and was given the "latest" in topical flea medicines. The vet even gave him a cortizone shot. Nothing is working. How about a special bath or something to help heal the open sores? I can't stand to hear him cry the way he does. He is allergic to something we don't know what.

Carina
September 13th, 2003, 04:09 PM
Could it be a flea allergy? A single flea bite can trigger an allergy if a cat is very sensitive...did the cortisone shot help at all, even temporarily? Maybe a short course of prednisone..but honestly without knowing exactly what is causing this, anything you do will just be guesswork.

There's things like tea tree oil that can help inflamed skin, but there are so many things that can cause skin problems and hair loss, it's almost impossible to tell what's going on with the cat.

If he's OK being inside, maybe you can bring him in for a time and see if not being exposed to something possibly hazardous outside will help. Maybe just long enough to break the cycle and get him healed, at least. I'd definitely give that a try.

William Bosco
September 13th, 2003, 05:16 PM
Carina,

Your advice is welcomed, thank You. My wife also thought that bringing him in for awhile might help. The cortisone helped a little while ,yes. I gave him some tuna fish to maybe help his skin. I'll see about the prednisone too. Most likely it's an allergy to fleas. We've had lots of cats and never seen this problem before. Our Tom is a "flopper".