Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anti-Social Behaviour when out

JaJa
November 6th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Hi, I wondered if you could advise me on an issue I have with my 15mth old German Sh x border collie. When she is off the lead and happily running around and meets other new strange dogs, she is fine, she is cautious, sniffs, plays then moves on. However when she is on the lead and a strange dog walks past, minding its own business and is not agressive, she goes balistic and sounds quite menacing as she growls, barks, snarls and lunges. This is quite distressing behaviour for us as she is such a sweetie normally. She sometimes also lunges and growls at the waiters in restaurants when she is dozing under the table. But she never bites (we have spend many long mths teaching bite inhibition). We run our own business from home (we run a B&B)and are with her 24x7 and she has free run outside the house and in the small hamlet we live in. She knows all the kids, neighbours and other dogs and they all play together. She greets our guests who are nearly always strangers with no problems at all. Are we doing something wrong? Is our response to this unsociable behaviour encouraging her?
Any sound advise much appreciated. Thanks.

Dragonfly
November 6th, 2005, 09:48 AM
What is your response to this behavior?

JaJa
November 6th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Hi, well it varies from saying 'hey, whats that all about' in a calm light voice and pulling her back with the lead, whilst simultaneously apologising to the other dog owners, to grabbing her by her harness, pulling her back and saying no, bad dog in a stern voice and making her sit. She usually then settles, until the next time.

JaJa
November 6th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Hi guys, I have just found another thread in the dog training forum dated 4 Nov 2004, dealing with this issue and have read their advice so thanks anyway. Sorry to have raised an issue already raised but I am new to the forum and still trawling thro' all the great q&a.

Puppyluv
November 6th, 2005, 11:51 AM
JaJa, Glad you found the info you were looking for. No one minds old topics being brought up (I do it all the time), but it's great that you were able to find it!
BTW: Extremely jealous that you live in Thones, and can bring your furbaby to restaurants!

jesse's mommy
November 6th, 2005, 11:57 AM
There are places that you can really do that at? That is so cool.

kayla
November 6th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Apperently there is a little cafe on St Laurent you can bring your dogs into!

jesse's mommy
November 6th, 2005, 12:13 PM
I need to move to Canada!

jesse's mommy
November 6th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Oh, but wait, I forgot about the Pit Bull bans, I think I have to think this over because I can't imagine putting a muzzle on my baby.

JaJa
November 6th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Hi, :sorry: should have mentioned that I live in the Alps in France, and France is a country that still allows dogs into restaurants....or should I say well behaved, non growly, non-lunging dogs - not like our Romi! They actually have a very laid-back approach to life over here and a pesky dog/child is just treated with wonderful disdain :cool: that only the french can do. Great! Anyway, we'll be working on her going forward and just wanted to say what a great web site this is :thumbs up . I shall be forwarding it :highfive: to all my english speaking french dog-owner friends for them to check out too :grouphug: !

Puppyluv
November 6th, 2005, 03:13 PM
I need to move to Canada!
LOL Thones is in France! Not Canada, we may speak French here, but we're still in the Western Hemisphere :D

Puppyluv
November 6th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Oh, but wait, I forgot about the Pit Bull bans, I think I have to think this over because I can't imagine putting a muzzle on my baby.
ARRGGHH Canada is MORE than just Ontario!!! (Although most Torontonians seem to disagree ;) )

jesse's mommy
November 6th, 2005, 03:14 PM
I thought it was in Canada because I saw there was also a London in Canada...

Prin
November 6th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Ya, London, Ontario, Canada. ;) There are still 9 other provinces and 3 territories where pitties are ok.