Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Questions About Microchipping...

jesse's mommy
November 6th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Can anyone give me some information on microchipping. I live in the States and you don't hear much about it here, but I'm curious about it. So here are some of my questions and if there is any other information, please let me know:

First and foremost, does anyone know if it's legal in the US?
Does it hurt the animal to have it done?
Is it a good idea or is it cruel?
Is it expensive?
Does it bother the animal after it is done?

I just really don't know much about it at all, so I figured I would "ask the experts". Thanks.

LavenderRott
November 6th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Of course it is legal in the U.S.!

It doesn't hurt anymore then getting a shot.

It is an excellent idea to get it done and it is not cruel.

Depends on your definition of expensive. I think the highest cost I have seen is $50.00.

No, it does not bother the dog after it is in.

You might want to do a bit more research though. If memory serves, there are two major companies for this and the scanners that are out there do not scan both types of chips. Check with your local vets and animal control to see which type of scanner they have or if they have both.

If you value your pet, and it has any tendancy to escape, microchipping could be a valueable tool in finding your dog again.

StaceyB
November 6th, 2005, 10:00 AM
The microchip is very tiny and placed under the skin at the base of the neck. The microchips were known to migrate so they now have little claws on them so they stay in place, atleast they are supposed to.

jesse's mommy
November 6th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the info. I'm definitely going to look into it. Jesse doesn't have a tendency to run off at all, but I always have that possibility in the back of my mind. I've had other dogs that wouldn't run off, but if something caught their attention, boom, their gone. $50 is nothing. I would spend that on my baby without a flinch. I'd spend a lot more on her if she needed it.

LM1313
November 6th, 2005, 10:21 AM
The humane societies and animal shelters around here (eastern Washington State) always seem to put in a microchip before releasing the animal to you. They definitely scan them around here, because I took a lost dog to Spokanimal once and they scanned her right as I watched with a handheld scanner. :)

A lot of vets also have scanners. My kittens' microchip brand is AVID and their brochure says they'll provide a free scanner to any organization who asks for one.

~LM~

MollysMommy
November 6th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Molly has a HomeAgain chip. I don't know if that's a popular company, but both the Humane Society and her vet have a scanner for it. I didn't have it put in her, so I don't even know the process. She already had it when I adopted her.

gomez
November 6th, 2005, 12:42 PM
The chip is vital if you ever plan on doing any international travel with your pet - the petpassport scheme that has been introduced is based on the chip and rabies shots together - without it, pets coming into the UK would serve 6 months quarantine (!)

The chip is the size of a grain of rice - we had our 2 cats chipped ages ago and now Gomez is chipped - here it is almost done as a matter of fact...

It caused Gomez absolutely no stress to have it done, he didn't even notice it go in - you only have to keep him from rough-housing for a day or two afterwards until it has settled in his neck - no big deal...

Puppyluv
November 6th, 2005, 12:48 PM
The chip is vital if you ever plan on doing any international travel with your pet - the petpassport scheme that has been introduced is based on the chip and rabies shots together - without it, pets coming into the UK would serve 6 months quarantine (!)

Yes! I thought I remembered my vet saying that, thanks for the confirmation :D
Layla has an AVID chip which is registered on the PETtrac worl wide recovery service, it was more expensive than the others, but it's the one my vet reccomended if I plan on travelling with her.
This is the AVID website (I know it's Canada, but I couldn't get the US one to open) http://www.avidcanada.com/index.html

twodogsandacat
November 6th, 2005, 12:54 PM
It’s 100% the best thing you can do for your dog and yourself. :thumbs up

I was drawn to a local paper (Metro) in Ottawa a few weeks back. The picture on the front page was a Catahoula Leopard dog (a Louisianan breed) and the headline was “Microchips the new pet rescue tool”. Having become familiar with the breed in Louisiana and falling in love with two of them myself (also in new homes now) I was curious to know why one of these dogs was so far from home. So I turned around and picked up a paper to see why one was on the cover of free Ottawa newspaper.

The story was of Louie a dog rescued in Louisiana and brought to Canada by BARK. If Louie had a chip he may never needed to of come to Canada. Instead the new owner was making sure that he was microchipped now so as to assure that if he ever became lost again - he would have every opportunity to be reunited with her.

Very cheap insurance and not harmful at all.

Prin
November 6th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Where can you put it? In little dogs, one behind the neck is easy to find, but on a big Boo, it would be like treasure hunting. Can you get them in the ears too?

twodogsandacat
November 6th, 2005, 01:20 PM
They put it in the shoulder area but it can move. A competent technician, vet etc scans the whole area. Sometimes you hear of a dog being adopted out by a shelter only to have the new owners vet find the chip after.... which of course is heart wrenching for the new owners who have to decide if they are going to do the right thing.

I’m happy to say that my dogs chips come up instantly when scanned.

gomez
November 6th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Where can you put it? In little dogs, one behind the neck is easy to find, but on a big Boo, it would be like treasure hunting. Can you get them in the ears too?

As far as I know, only between the shoulders, but it scans like a supermarket bar code, you don't have to have the scanner right over it to get it, you just point at the general arean and "wave the wand" so to speak... then it bleeps and comes up with the info...

Every time we go to the vet, he scans Gomez to make sure it's still in place, it has never moved -

Toonces
November 6th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Both our girls are chipped and they have never moved. Brandy is such a baby we thought we would get Currie done first so she could see everything was going to be ok, well Currie yelped like I have never heard before then it was Brandy's turn, she didn't even flinch and when the vet put it in Currie tried to nip him in the bum :eek: thank god he has a good sense of humor and just gave her a pat and told her that her sister was fine.

twodogsandacat
November 6th, 2005, 02:11 PM
This sub link at avid should answer any questions and hopefully encourage you to have your baby chipped.

http://www.avidmicrochip.com/answer.htm

It seems that avid has addressed the issue of moving chips so I may of been speaking about the older technology:

Will the implanted microchip move or migrate?

You will have no problem with migration if you follow our instructions. AVID® microchips are sealed with a special smooth coating. This coating, once in contact with body fluids and subcutaneous tissue, helps the microchip stay where you put it.

Prin
November 6th, 2005, 02:35 PM
I'm not even sure if the SPCA in Montreal has a scanner... Weren't there stories about them adopting out dogs with microchips without even scanning them to see if there was a previous owner? Sorry if I'm being difficult, but I won't get my doggies chipped if nobody here has or uses a scanner anyway...

Puppyluv
November 6th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Personally, I think chipping should be mandatory, but that's just me.
My vet told me that the only time the chip could possibly move is in the first couple of hours after injection, and to just keep her calm for that afternoon. Layla too has been scanned at every vet appointment just to check, and even with all her running, jumping and playing, it's still in the exact same place.
It's peace of mind, and it's a heck of a lot nicer than the tattoos they used to dole out.

PetFriendly
November 6th, 2005, 03:07 PM
I'm not even sure if the SPCA in Montreal has a scanner... Weren't there stories about them adopting out dogs with microchips without even scanning them to see if there was a previous owner? Sorry if I'm being difficult, but I won't get my doggies chipped if nobody here has or uses a scanner anyway...

The SPCA might not have scanners (you should call them though to double check because of all places, they would be most likely to have the scanners) but the vets offices, and animal control might. I know that in my neighbourhood, if someone finds a dog with a rabies tag, they'll call the vets office before animal control.

Other than potentially wasting $50 per animal if they never get lost, why not do it anyway? I'm not sure about Montreal , but in Ottawa we get free life time dog and cat licenses if the animals are spay/neutered and microchiped.

Prin
November 6th, 2005, 03:10 PM
That's nice that they do that in Ottawa. In Montreal, they don't even give a rebate if your dog is spayed or neutered (they do in some of the suburbs, but not in Montreal) so I doubt they would give a rebate for microchips.

I don't see it as a waste of money if your dog never runs away, I see it as a waste of money if nobody will read the chip if he does. You know what I mean?

Puppyluv
November 6th, 2005, 03:11 PM
That's nice that they do that in Ottawa. In Montreal, they don't even give a rebate if your dog is spayed or neutered (they do in some of the suburbs, but not in Montreal) so I doubt they would give a rebate for microchips.

Really? I live downtown (Ville-Marie) and I got my license half-priced because she was spayed. Maybe the lady just liked me :D

Prin
November 6th, 2005, 03:17 PM
LOL In Ahuntsic (part of the "old" Montreal) there were no rebates for anything...

gomez
November 6th, 2005, 03:32 PM

I don't see it as a waste of money if your dog never runs away, I see it as a waste of money if nobody will read the chip if he does. You know what I mean?

Prin, what if you ever have to travel spur of the moment? What if your doggies (god forbid) get kidnapped and taken to another part of the world? What is for some reason you had to evacuate and go somewhere and one of them got separated? As awful as it sounds, these things happen, ya know?

It doesn't hurt to have it done and it's a little more peace of mind - I'm with Puppyluv, I also think it should be mandatory...

JessXx
November 6th, 2005, 04:32 PM
First and foremost, does anyone know if it's legal in the US- Yes, as far as I know its legal.
Does it hurt the animal to have it done- Only as much as shots hurt.
Is it a good idea or is it cruel- It doesnt hurt the animal that much, as much as a needle... like shots. Its a good idea because you have a much better chance of finding your animal and its much more accurate than a tattoo.
Is it expensive- No, and even here in canada the Spca does it for free (where I live anyways) some places charge as little as 20 dollars too.
Does it bother the animal after it is done- no, not usually if its done by a certified vet. and if its done correctly.

Heres more info on micro chips....
The microchip is injected between the two shoulder blades of the dog with a single use, preloaded syringe after pre-scanning the dog for the potential of a pre-existing chip. Once the dog is chipped the area is scanned with the electronic scanner to ensure the chip is registering properly All GRREAT Micro-chippers have been trained by AVID trainers or Veterinary doctors.

The microchip procedure is almost painless. It is the same as getting a needle at the doctor’s office. The procedure is much quicker and less stressful on the dog or animal.
A simple phone to the company that manufactures the chips will get info on the chips changed if you ever need it, and there is even an online form you can fill out.
There has been cases of the chip migrating, but it is not a very common occurrence. Most places run the scanners over the entire animal just to make sure the chip didnt move (when an animal gets found).
You can have this procedure done at any veterinarian's office, some humane societies will do it, and even some breeders will have it done before you receive your new puppy.
If you are wondering how people will know if your dog has a microchip, your dog will have a collar tag with the 1-800 number to call on it.
Whatever you choose to fill out on the initial form is the info on the microchip. Most times this is your dog's name, your name and phone number, address, and an emergency contact.
Hope that helped :)
Oh and p.s.- I highly reccomend it.

LM1313
November 6th, 2005, 04:49 PM

I watched the people at the animal shelter scan a big dog (lab size) and it didn't take long at all . . . The scanner is bigger than a supermarket scanner, it's more like one of those wands security people use if you're setting off the metal detector. So they just sweep it up and down the dog, around the shoulders . . . they were pretty thorough.

It's peace of mind, and it's a heck of a lot nicer than the tattoos they used to dole out.

I got a tattoo for my dog when I got her, fourteen years ago. But it's on the inside of her hip, and of course covered with hair . . . I've got to wonder if anyone would know enough to shave there and find it?? I like the microchip much better. They can also update your contact information (address and such) if you move.

~LM~

Prin
November 6th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Prin, what if you ever have to travel spur of the moment? What if your doggies (god forbid) get kidnapped and taken to another part of the world? What is for some reason you had to evacuate and go somewhere and one of them got separated? As awful as it sounds, these things happen, ya know?Ok, but as mentioned above, there are a couple of companies who make them and the scanners can't read them all, so even then, having a chip might not mean that you will find your dog. I'm just very doubtful that this is as useful as it seems.

JessXx
November 6th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Ok, but as mentioned above, there are a couple of companies who make them and the scanners can't read them all, so even then, having a chip might not mean that you will find your dog. I'm just very doubtful that this is as useful as it seems.

Prin, you are right in a sense. I think people over-estimate tecnoligy.
If a dog gets kidnapped, these are not tracking devises, they wont find your dog for you. In order to find your dog, someone has to bring him/her to a shelter.... thats how it goes. but its better than a tag.

raingirl
November 6th, 2005, 05:49 PM
OK...let me clear up some of this.

In 1996 a universal scanner was introduced that reads all chips EXCEPT Avid. Only an Avid Scanner can read Avid chips.

In the US there is a court fight going on that started in February 2005 that should make it illegal to have chips with specific scanners. There is one company that has created a scanner that reads ALL chips and Avid is fighting them to not release it.

We have a non-Avid chip, since almost 100% of shelters/vets have a universal scanner.

So....don't get an Avid chip and you are ok.

Prin
November 6th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Thank you Raingirl. That helps a lot. Now, it makes more sense to me to get one. :) Avid... What the hey? Doing it for profit or for the doggies? :rolleyes:

jesse's mommy
November 6th, 2005, 06:05 PM
If you are wondering how people will know if your dog has a microchip, your dog will have a collar tag with the 1-800 number to call on it.
Whatever you choose to fill out on the initial form is the info on the microchip. Most times this is your dog's name, your name and phone number, address, and an emergency contact.

Alright, but I have a question about the information that you initially put in as contact information. What if you move? There is a possibility that we are relocating to Florida in the next few months. Is there anyway to change the contact info? Any "upgrades" or "updates" to it or do you have to get another one injected? Wouldn't that be dangerous?

Prin
November 6th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Good question. Is the info in the microchip or is the info only in the database that the chip would point you to?

LM1313
November 6th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Good question. Is the info in the microchip or is the info only in the database that the chip would point you to?

They change the information in the database. There are no additional injections or microchips for moves. :)

~LM~

Prin
November 6th, 2005, 06:14 PM
But when the chip is scanned, does the new info pop up? How is the info updated in the chip?

Puppyluv
November 6th, 2005, 06:24 PM
I'm pretty sure that you scan the chip, it gives you a number on the scanner, you input the number in the database, the database gives you the animal's info. You don't scan and get a screen saying "Hello my name is Layla, I belong to the beautiful _________ at ______________ in Montreal, QC, She can be called at _______________" But it'd be cool if it did.

JessXx
November 6th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Alright, but I have a question about the information that you initially put in as contact information. What if you move? There is a possibility that we are relocating to Florida in the next few months. Is there anyway to change the contact info? Any "upgrades" or "updates" to it or do you have to get another one injected? Wouldn't that be dangerous?
Okay,
You can call them the second you know your new address and tell them that you've moved, they will change it.
You dont have to get another injected, theres no upgrades, they just type the info into the computer, under the microchip #, they do all that 4 u.

JessXx
November 6th, 2005, 06:27 PM
But when the chip is scanned, does the new info pop up? How is the info updated in the chip?

They have a database on a comp., they have it stored there, they can change it on there... its sorta like changing an email address...

Prin
November 6th, 2005, 06:27 PM
I'm pretty sure that you scan the chip, it gives you a number on the scanner, you input the number in the database, the database gives you the animal's info. You don't scan and get a screen saying "Hello my name is Layla, I belong to the beautiful _________ at ______________ in Montreal, QC, She can be called at _______________" But it'd be cool if it did.
But then you show up and they say "Sorry, it can't be yours; it says "beautiful"." ooooooooo :clown:

Thanks all for answering my queries. You're all so helpful.:grouphug:

JessXx
November 6th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Right.
What happens is they scan it, the # for the microchip comes up, they look at the info that says,
Animals name
Owners name
Owners phone #
Emergancy contact #
Address
Fax-
Some companies have more than that, some have less... but its pretty basic.

Puppyluv
November 6th, 2005, 06:30 PM
But then you show up and they say "Sorry, it can't be yours; it says "beautiful"." ooooooooo :clown:

Smack! I wasn't sure if you'd catch me sneaking that in there, but alas I underestimated you:o

Prin
November 6th, 2005, 06:32 PM
LOL I wasn't sure we were comfortable enough to go that far, but I went anyway.:clown:

jessi76
November 7th, 2005, 10:02 AM
First and foremost, does anyone know if it's legal in the US?
Does it hurt the animal to have it done?
Is it a good idea or is it cruel?
Is it expensive?
Does it bother the animal after it is done?

I just had Tucker done yesterday.... I'm 100% happy I did, but Tucker was not so happy... the needle was very large (to insert the chip), and they couldn't get behind his neck - he was not about to let that happen, so after he finally calmed down, they managed to get near his shoulder - and he cried, yelped, squirmed, and snarled. It was definately NOT "almost painless" (or my pup is a big fat wimp).

It cost me $25, and $9 to register with the AKC. Tucker was bleeding a bit afterwards, but 5 minutes later he was fine. The tech's said that was the worst one they'd done all day - no other dogs even flinched, but Tucker went ballistic.

kayla
November 7th, 2005, 10:24 AM

The Montreal SPCA has a scanner. If you look on their website they even include microchipping in the adoption fee.

AliSam
November 7th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Sam got out the front door a couple of years ago. We got him back thanks to his microchip. He also had his collar & tags but it was faster for the vet to scan him. They told me that themselves when they contacted me to tell me that someone had brought him in.