Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

12 wk old baby nursing?

Angelismybaby
September 13th, 2003, 12:09 PM
okay this might seem a little weird but I got a kitten about 3-4wks ago when she was 8wks and just the other day I found her nursing from my friends' adult cat who is not lactacting, she has never been a mother but has not been spayed yet. Now last night I took the baby (Angel) away from the adult (Coco) and there was moisture all around her bottom lip so I wiped it and smelled it and it smells like milk. Now what I'm wondering is if this is possible and should I leave them alone or should I do something to discourage this behaviour? My friend is suppose to be moving out of our home in March along with her 2 cats.

Lucky Rescue
September 13th, 2003, 03:24 PM
Yes, it's possible for a cat to lactate even when she has no kittens of her own, as your little kitten has found out.

Female cats with strong reproductive drives can experience false pregnancies, with all the accompanying symtoms.

I would stop this nursing behavior as some kittens will nurse as long as a female allows it, even into adulthood!

I would also strongly encourage your friend to have her cat spayed.

Angelismybaby
September 13th, 2003, 07:11 PM
Thank you very much for your help, now I have 1 more question, how would I discourage this behaviour? A friend of mine suggested putting lemon juice on Coco's nipples to discourage both Angel from nursing and Coco from cleaning it off.